Page 261 of 979 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271311361761 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 14671
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

  1. #3901
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,496
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Rogue, outlier Newspoll.

    Normal service to resume next fortnight.
    Normal post-2007 service HAS resumed.

    You're right though - can't take much from one poll.

    Amazing to watch Rudd the past week though. Threw the switch from 09-10 gobbledegook to 07 message like he snapped his fingers. Minders must have had the phone books out.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  2. #3902
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,832
    I had a chat with a friend the other day, about whether you can as a political party, try to influence Newspoll.

    I referred him back to 2007 where, and I commented on this at the time, Kevin Rudd each 2nd Thursday seemed to bring out a major announcement or pulled a stunt, before Newspoll went into the field (it surveys from Friday to Sunday). Likewise, last week, the big event that happened was that Rudd creamed Abbott in the health debate. I believe that this is reflected in Labor's surge in today's poll.

    I think that the average punter does not follow politics. Therefore, when they are polled, recent events/announcements can heavily influence their voting preference. By contrast, in a campaign, when most voters do turn their minds to politics, the polls are less influenced by recent events and this I submit is why the polls invariably tighten at that point.

    Team Rudd in 2007 was onto this ability to influence Newspoll and therefore create momentum. Team Abbott needs to smarten up and become more media savvy.

  3. #3903
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I had a chat with a friend the other day, about whether you can as a political party, try to influence Newspoll.

    I referred him back to 2007 where, and I commented on this at the time, Kevin Rudd each 2nd Thursday seemed to bring out a major announcement or pulled a stunt, before Newspoll went into the field (it surveys from Friday to Sunday). Likewise, last week, the big event that happened was that Rudd creamed Abbott in the health debate. I believe that this is reflected in Labor's surge in today's poll.

    I think that the average punter does not follow politics. Therefore, when they are polled, recent events/announcements can heavily influence their voting preference. By contrast, in a campaign, when most voters do turn their minds to politics, the polls are less influenced by recent events and this I submit is why the polls invariably tighten at that point.

    Team Rudd in 2007 was onto this ability to influence Newspoll and therefore create momentum. Team Abbott needs to smarten up and become more media savvy.
    Very good post. This seems fairly accurate.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

    CricketWeb Black!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

  4. #3904
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    This is the first time Landeryou has made any sense.

    Still disagree with internet censorship because it's pouring money into the end result of child abuse and bestiality rather than being a geniune preventative measure.

    Both the Government and those that oppose the filter participate in so much misinformation that it's now impossible to know the truth about what testing has been done and how accurate it will be.

    Honestly don't know why people are so up-in-arms about it and some of the arguments against it. Yes people will get around it...should we start selling cigarettes to minors because they'll get it from an older sibling anyway? Of course not.

    It's also not one step to complete Government control of information. That's such a joke. The public has a say in the laws of the country...if content breaks those laws and would therefore be banned in a magazine, film or book then why should the internet be any different?


  5. #3905
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,832
    Get your dose of Straight Talkin' tonight on Q & A.

    9:30pm on your ABC.

  6. #3906
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Wish more people watched the ABC. Honestly. Abbott couldn't win an argument with Tony Jones ffs.

  7. #3907
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,986
    Haha Tony Jones is awesome
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  8. #3908
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227


    Will have to watch the replay on ABC. Can't wait for a dose of 'straight talkin'. I'm imagining something along the lines of:

    "Er, well, that'll be revealed in good time"
    "We'll have our policy on that in the public eye before the next election"
    "No, uh, well, sometimes as a politician (blah blah blah)"

    Will be straight talking personified.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  9. #3909
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,986
    Pretty spot on.

    His comments on marriage and gays were so bad. He's such a dick.

  10. #3910
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,832
    I'm hearing rumblings that Malcolm Turnbull today will announce that he will not recontest his seat at the forthcoming election.

  11. #3911
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,496
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I'm hearing rumblings that Malcolm Turnbull today will announce that he will not recontest his seat at the forthcoming election.
    Interesting. Wonder if they'll find a moderate to replace him?

  12. #3912
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Interesting. Wonder if they'll find a moderate to replace him?
    If they want to keep Wentworth they will.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  13. #3913
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    I hope China pays up for their ship that crashed in the Great Barrier Reef. Our Government won't do anything out of fear of pissing off China.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  14. #3914
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Get your dose of Straight Talkin' tonight on Q & A.

    9:30pm on your ABC.


    Well i have to say i was dissapointed. He sounded hesitant almost every time he went to speak. Just didn't seem Prime Ministerial at all.

    Forgot to send in a question about his tie knots too .
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  15. #3915
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,832
    I think Turnbull was the modern day John Hewson - a businessman who never had the political touch of seasoned Parliamentarians. Recalling the Godwin Grech affair last Winter when MT called on the PM to resign over misleading Parliament...it never occurred to MT that before you call for what is the check-mate of politics, the ultimate move (i.e. asking the PM to step down) that you have an absolute water-tight case. He was too impatient and too lacking in political judgement to verify what turned out to be fake correspondence.

    Then, in that interview with Laurie Oaks the week before he lost the leadership, he could not even bring himself to say that the Liberal Party would be worth voting for if it dumped the ETS, was just shocking. And then, in the sad denouement and ultimate evidence of his political naivety, he last week offers himself up for a spot on Abbott's frontbench even though the ETS is still before Parliament. Well...what more can you say...



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. social

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Conditions - The Difference?
    By benchmark00 in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-10-2006, 08:38 AM
  2. 2004/05 Australian domestic season thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1116
    Last Post: 27-03-2005, 10:25 PM
  3. *Official* India in Australia Thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2652
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:00 PM
  4. South Australian Crickets Don Bradman Medal Night
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •