Page 261 of 979 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271311361761 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 14671
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Rogue, outlier Newspoll.

Normal service to resume next fortnight.
    Normal post-2007 service HAS resumed.

You're right though - can't take much from one poll.

Amazing to watch Rudd the past week though. Threw the switch from 09-10 gobbledegook to 07 message like he snapped his fingers. Minders must have had the phone books out.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I had a chat with a friend the other day, about whether you can as a political party, try to influence Newspoll.

I referred him back to 2007 where, and I commented on this at the time, Kevin Rudd each 2nd Thursday seemed to bring out a major announcement or pulled a stunt, before Newspoll went into the field (it surveys from Friday to Sunday). Likewise, last week, the big event that happened was that Rudd creamed Abbott in the health debate. I believe that this is reflected in Labor's surge in today's poll.

I think that the average punter does not follow politics. Therefore, when they are polled, recent events/announcements can heavily influence their voting preference. By contrast, in a campaign, when most voters do turn their minds to politics, the polls are less influenced by recent events and this I submit is why the polls invariably tighten at that point.

Team Rudd in 2007 was onto this ability to influence Newspoll and therefore create momentum. Team Abbott needs to smarten up and become more media savvy.

I had a chat with a friend the other day, about whether you can as a political party, try to influence Newspoll.

I referred him back to 2007 where, and I commented on this at the time, Kevin Rudd each 2nd Thursday seemed to bring out a major announcement or pulled a stunt, before Newspoll went into the field (it surveys from Friday to Sunday). Likewise, last week, the big event that happened was that Rudd creamed Abbott in the health debate. I believe that this is reflected in Labor's surge in today's poll.

I think that the average punter does not follow politics. Therefore, when they are polled, recent events/announcements can heavily influence their voting preference. By contrast, in a campaign, when most voters do turn their minds to politics, the polls are less influenced by recent events and this I submit is why the polls invariably tighten at that point.

Team Rudd in 2007 was onto this ability to influence Newspoll and therefore create momentum. Team Abbott needs to smarten up and become more media savvy.
    Very good post. This seems fairly accurate.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

This is the first time Landeryou has made any sense.

Still disagree with internet censorship because it's pouring money into the end result of child abuse and bestiality rather than being a geniune preventative measure.

Both the Government and those that oppose the filter participate in so much misinformation that it's now impossible to know the truth about what testing has been done and how accurate it will be.

Honestly don't know why people are so up-in-arms about it and some of the arguments against it. Yes people will get around it...should we start selling cigarettes to minors because they'll get it from an older sibling anyway? Of course not.

It's also not one step to complete Government control of information. That's such a joke. The public has a say in the laws of the country...if content breaks those laws and would therefore be banned in a magazine, film or book then why should the internet be any different?

Get your dose of Straight Talkin' tonight on Q & A.

9:30pm on your ABC.

Wish more people watched the ABC. Honestly. Abbott couldn't win an argument with Tony Jones ffs.

Haha Tony Jones is awesome
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

Will have to watch the replay on ABC. Can't wait for a dose of 'straight talkin'. I'm imagining something along the lines of:

"Er, well, that'll be revealed in good time"
    "We'll have our policy on that in the public eye before the next election"
    "No, uh, well, sometimes as a politician (blah blah blah)"

Will be straight talking personified.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Pretty spot on.

His comments on marriage and gays were so bad. He's such a dick.

I'm hearing rumblings that Malcolm Turnbull today will announce that he will not recontest his seat at the forthcoming election.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I'm hearing rumblings that Malcolm Turnbull today will announce that he will not recontest his seat at the forthcoming election.
    Interesting. Wonder if they'll find a moderate to replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Interesting. Wonder if they'll find a moderate to replace him?
    If they want to keep Wentworth they will.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I hope China pays up for their ship that crashed in the Great Barrier Reef. Our Government won't do anything out of fear of pissing off China.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Get your dose of Straight Talkin' tonight on Q & A.

9:30pm on your ABC.

Well i have to say i was dissapointed. He sounded hesitant almost every time he went to speak. Just didn't seem Prime Ministerial at all.

Forgot to send in a question about his tie knots too .
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

I think Turnbull was the modern day John Hewson - a businessman who never had the political touch of seasoned Parliamentarians. Recalling the Godwin Grech affair last Winter when MT called on the PM to resign over misleading Parliament...it never occurred to MT that before you call for what is the check-mate of politics, the ultimate move (i.e. asking the PM to step down) that you have an absolute water-tight case. He was too impatient and too lacking in political judgement to verify what turned out to be fake correspondence.

Then, in that interview with Laurie Oaks the week before he lost the leadership, he could not even bring himself to say that the Liberal Party would be worth voting for if it dumped the ETS, was just shocking. And then, in the sad denouement and ultimate evidence of his political naivety, he last week offers himself up for a spot on Abbott's frontbench even though the ETS is still before Parliament. Well...what more can you say...

Thread Information