Cricket Player Manager
Page 249 of 991 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299349749 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 14854
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Barnaby Joyce issues press release to confirm he hasn't been abducted by aliens.

Barnaby Joyce "abducted by aliens"

Curiously, it doesn't contain a denial.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Interesting that he equates media releases with productivity

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Interesting that he equates media releases with productivity
    Which makes him a very good politician

Seriously Rudd is the king of press releases. Biggest spin merchant in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Probably due to the fact that the ALP are behind 41-59 and people are too wise to take on the leadership.

Also the fact that privatisation is what killed her and there were only two MPs who voted against it in the caucus room.
    In politics you take every chance you can get to step up. Bligh has given a huge chance for someone ambitious to challenge her. The fact is that nearly everyone on the government benches has some type of portfolio and that leaves very few real backbenchers to form an alliance to dethrone her.

Yes, I realise that I am arguing for more politicians. I feel dirty.

Unlike the Libs. There were definitely some people on that side of the room who would have supported it had they not been under so much pressure from the Nats.
    Bligh set the tone a long time back on this bill. If it had have been a true conscience vote then she wouldn't have turned it into a political football like she did. I don't know if there were any LNP members who would have voted for it. If Bligh hadn't begun by turning it directly into a statement on gay/single surrogacy by rejecting the opposition bill I'm sure that the LNP would have placed less pressure on its members.

Apart from the fact that the unions are almost entirely based in her electorate and if you drive around South Brisbane you're confronted with billboards that say "Anna Bligh sold us out"

Yeah. Appealing to her electorate. Sure.
    I would be very surprised if there was a great number of union workers in Bligh's electorate. Knowing the South Brisbane area it is largely populated by young professionals, to which her far left-wing radicalism is quite appealing. That was the only real point that I was trying to make.

On a different topic...

The unions can all go to hell as a political force for all I care. They have their place providing legal aid and negotiation power in large industrial firms, but these days they seem simply to provide a breeding ground for ALP politicians and the ALP fundraising arm. They tend to promote division in the workplace by championing an "us vs them" mentality as well.

The way they have blocked electicity privatisation in NSW for a decade now has cost the state 30bn dollars directly (due to devaluation of assets) and countless more indirectly (by the lack of infrastructure that would have been built with the money. It's disgraceful and I hope the same does not happen in QLD with the privatisation (which is about the only praiseworthy thing Bligh has enforced on us).

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    In politics you take every chance you can get to step up. Bligh has given a huge chance for someone ambitious to challenge her. The fact is that nearly everyone on the government benches has some type of portfolio and that leaves very few real backbenchers to form an alliance to dethrone her.

Yes, I realise that I am arguing for more politicians. I feel dirty.

Bligh set the tone a long time back on this bill. If it had have been a true conscience vote then she wouldn't have turned it into a political football like she did. I don't know if there were any LNP members who would have voted for it. If Bligh hadn't begun by turning it directly into a statement on gay/single surrogacy by rejecting the opposition bill I'm sure that the LNP would have placed less pressure on its members.

I would be very surprised if there was a great number of union workers in Bligh's electorate. Knowing the South Brisbane area it is largely populated by young professionals, to which her far left-wing radicalism is quite appealing. That was the only real point that I was trying to make.

On a different topic...

The unions can all go to hell as a political force for all I care. They have their place providing legal aid and negotiation power in large industrial firms, but these days they seem simply to provide a breeding ground for ALP politicians and the ALP fundraising arm. They tend to promote division in the workplace by championing an "us vs them" mentality as well.

The way they have blocked electicity privatisation in NSW for a decade now has cost the state 30bn dollars directly (due to devaluation of assets) and countless more indirectly (by the lack of infrastructure that would have been built with the money. It's disgraceful and I hope the same does not happen in QLD with the privatisation (which is about the only praiseworthy thing Bligh has enforced on us).
    I read a comment today that with the insulation rebate and the thousands of direct and indirect job losses, that the Unions absence is rather odd.

I have never been a Union member or anything like that, although if I worked in the construction industry then I would (that and I have heard on more then one occasion from different people unrelated to each other that if you can not commence work on a building site if you're not a Union member, the Union just won't you)., especially when it comes to heights and climbing ladders. I would rather get fired then climb up a ladder onto a roof without a harness on. **** that.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

My Canberra operatives have whispered in my shell-like that tomorrow's Newspoll is 52-48.

All the polls for Preferred Party would be close at this stage. Still reckon Labor will win fairly easily.

My tips: Labor to win federally & in Victoria, Liberal's will win damn easily in NSW, not sure about Tasmania and SA.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

2010 Predictions

Federal government

House of Reps and half Senate election is called for September 5.
    ALP win 96 seats in the lower house including Ryan, Dunkley and Wright.
    Greens hold the balance of power in the Senate.
    Steve Fielding fails to get re-elected.
    Belinda Neal loses pre-selection in her own seat. Subsequently stabs a homeless person.
    Turnbull doesn't contest Wentworth and tries to implode the party without much success.

Queensland

Tim Nicholls replaces JP Langbroek as LNP leader. Vultures are still circling around Bligh despite somewhat of a recovery in popularity

Victoria

Brumby wins the 27 November election in a landslide.

South Australia

Rann holds on in a nail-biter on March 20. His popularity thereafter plummets when it's discovered he actually did have an affair with Michelle Whatsherface

Western Australia

Barnett continues leading the state and is popular. Nothing too serious happens.

Tasmania

Election on March 20 results in a perfect split of Labor 10, Liberal 10 and Greens 5. In controversial fashion, the Greens prove they're a farce of a political party by supporting a Liberal minority government.

New South Wales

Joe Tripodi is now Premier and Della Bosca is returned to the Cabinet. Rees, Foley and Albanese all disappear in a mysterious stage collapse at state conference. Libs lead 80-20 in the polls and the public still whinges about fixed four year terms.
    I stand by this.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

I stand by this.
    Apart from the Turnbull thing - I reckon this is all pretty spot on.

Fielding will easily retain his seat IMO. He alienates most people under 50 but in the over 50 crowd I could see him with some huge support.

If Labour/Liberals in Tas don't form a coallition then they are both condemning themselves to irrelevancy at the next state election. The Greens with a sniff of real power will cock things up so badly it will be funny to watch, if not so sad for the people who live in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Fielding will easily retain his seat IMO. He alienates most people under 50 but in the over 50 crowd I could see him with some huge support.

If Labour/Liberals in Tas don't form a coallition then they are both condemning themselves to irrelevancy at the next state election. The Greens with a sniff of real power will cock things up so badly it will be funny to watch, if not so sad for the people who live in the state.
    How will he retain his seat? I seriously have question marks over whether he'll get Labour preferences given his behaviour over the past year.

Spark's right.

The public thought he was strongly religious but they didn't realise he was a total moron.

Also. He hasn't voted with the ALP since the stimulus package. Honestly can't see him getting preferences. I don't know why he got Labor preferences in the first place.

I stand by this.
    I pretty much agree with all of it.

And didn't Fielding only get a Senate seat because of preferences? And he's done **** for the ALP since.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Im pretty sure it was based on Liberal preferences.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Thread Information