Page 247 of 976 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297347747 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,705 of 14633
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    And that, mate, is the only game in town.
    If you want one comment encompassing why western democracies are experiencing fast growing apathy at their political processes this my friends is it.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    And that, mate, is the only game in town.

Haha - Nicola Roxoff with golf balls as props in QT - gold.
    haha that was great. I loved the way you could see them passing it around the back benches over the next couple of questions, they all wanted a look.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    If you want one comment encompassing why western democracies are experiencing fast growing apathy at their political processes this my friends is it.
    Can't implement good policy from the opposition benches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I do tend to think that the Libs are the natural party of Government in Canberra.

Considering that the feds are mostly responsible for taxation and immigration issues, it's not surprising that the public is happy to stick with grossly conservative leaders who pander to people's fears and run negative campaigns about how a Labor Government will waste your money on pointless things like health and education and infrastructure. People are much happier with low taxes and zero population growth even if the country goes backwards on the world map and doesn't invest in the labour market or new technology.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    It's been the only game in town since political parties were invented. It's hardly a new phenomenon, or one endemic only to Labor.

You think people like Georgiou, Vanstone etc were happy with Howard running the line he did on kids overboard? Of course not, but they pretty well shut up because it was going to help them politically. It's not right, but "that's the game - and you either play or get played" - Omar, The Wire.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

And still expect the Government to still provide services for them.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And still expect the Government to still provide services for them.
    Yeah, because the provision of services to people by the government, if they do it well, helps them get re-elected.

Which probably explains why Labor in NSW won't be, despite having a hottie as Premier.

Yeah, because the provision of services to people by the government, if they do it well, helps them get re-elected.

Which probably explains why Labor in NSW won't be, despite having a hottie as Premier.
    The best description I heard is that people want low taxes as well as tax cuts and still expect the Government to provide everything for them. I guess that is Capitalism for you.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    I do tend to think that the Libs are the natural party of Government in Canberra.

Considering that the feds are mostly responsible for taxation and immigration issues, it's not surprising that the public is happy to stick with grossly conservative leaders who pander to people's fears and run negative campaigns about how a Labor Government will waste your money on pointless things like health and education and infrastructure. People are much happier with low taxes and zero population growth even if the country goes backwards on the world map and doesn't invest in the labour market or new technology.
    . Possibly the most dumbest thing I ever read. Do you think that people are that right-wing to feel this way?

And yeah I realise that Stedders probably wasn't being serious, but still.....
    Last edited by morgieb; 23-02-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    . Possibly the most dumbest thing I ever read. Do you think that people are that right-wing to feel this way?

And yeah I realise that Stedders probably wasn't being serious, but still.....
    Stedders is also a member of the Queensland branch of the ALP.

If anyone gets a chance, have a look at the question the Member for Fadden asked Rudd today in QT, and the answer. Then try and remember it actually wasn't a Dorothy Dixer. Incredible.

Edit: and even the gallery is getting the ****s with Abbott's censure motions. From Latika Burke in the gallery, via Twitter:

"@latikambourke: not another ****ing censure motion? Seriously? #qt"

"sorry for the language but honestly, the number of censures these days is almost equal to Barnaby's stuff-ups. #qt "
    Last edited by Burgey; 23-02-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post

People want some level of confidence that the people in Canberra are not hosing their tax monies up against the wall and that their standard of living is not being eroded

Unfortunately, a succession of ALP governments have not done much to warrant such confidence and "minor" (in terms of financial cost) issues like the insulation problem and the $900 handout simply reinforce the notion of "****, here we go again."

Think Malcolm Fraser said everything that needed to be said about the modern day Liberal Party and their views on immigration and race.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Think Malcolm Fraser said everything that needed to be said about the modern day Liberal Party and their views on immigration and race.
    Fraser is a bitter and twisted old fart who is trying to compensate for his disastrous spell as PM

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Fraser is a bitter and twisted old fart who is trying to compensate for his disastrous spell as PM
    Seems that way, doesn't it mate.

Fraser, ever since he has retired, has made it his life long ambition to suck up to and be accepted by the Labor party. Shades of Turnbull for the last 6 months if you ask me - MT just so desperately wants to distinguish himself from the Liberal party and, moreover, wants to be recognised by Rudd. Meanwhile, Rudd and Labor just laugh at how meek and pathetic Turnbull and Fraser are anyway.

At least Straight Talker knows that Labor are the evil enemy who must be exterminated.
    Last edited by howardj; 23-02-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Thread Information