Page 246 of 982 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346746 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 14718
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Wondering why they got a law firm to do a report like that? Most lawyers I know wouldn't know how to climb a ladder, let alone about roof insulation.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Not necessarily, but I think if you're the third wheel and a long way from power like the Greens, it's easy to stay pure of heart. Garrett's an interesting case, as are lots of pollies who come into the main parties from other areas where they've been free to espouse their personal views. He's simply the most high profile atm.
    Do you stay outside the political system and agitate for major change, or enter the system and do your best (whether it's good enough or not is another matter) from within that system?
    Interesting choice to make. And in Pete's case, you can't say he needed the cabbage or the security to become part of a major party.
    Thing is the Greens aren't that far from having meaningful power. He's not joining the sex workers union (could be a completely fictional party) or anything like that. If Garrett was truly committed to his principles he would have attempted to boost the profile of the one party that would have allowed him to express his "views". Sort of a hybrid change it from the inside/outside model.

I actually think he has likely changed his outlook from his musician days. I can't imagined someone as principled as he comes across in his music settling for Labor, and I can't imagine him being naive enough to believe he could change the machine from the inside. Musicians crystalize their feelings/opinions in song, but people's opinions are by no means set in stone.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

That attack on Garrett in QT (before the censure) was diabolical. Horrendous stuff from Hunt, real warm lettuce-leaf material. Dire.

Malcolm Fraser on the 7:30 Report right now.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Thing is the Greens aren't that far from having meaningful power. He's not joining the sex workers union (could be a completely fictional party) or anything like that. If Garrett was truly committed to his principles he would have attempted to boost the profile of the one party that would have allowed him to express his "views". Sort of a hybrid change it from the inside/outside model.

I actually think he has likely changed his outlook from his musician days. I can't imagined someone as principled as he comes across in his music settling for Labor, and I can't imagine him being naive enough to believe he could change the machine from the inside. Musicians crystalize their feelings/opinions in song, but people's opinions are by no means set in stone.
    Think it's worth noting that Garrett aligns himself with the Right faction of the ALP rather than the Left. That suggests to me that he doesn't actually want to create change from within but just wants a cushy seat where he can continue to be seen as important in the public eye.

Still rate him as Environment Minister even though he's done a poor job of recognising the warning signs about a good scheme with the potential to be exploited.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Think it's worth noting that Garrett aligns himself with the Right faction of the ALP rather than the Left. That suggests to me that he doesn't actually want to create change from within but just wants a cushy seat where he can continue to be seen as important in the public eye.

Still rate him as Environment Minister even though he's done a poor job of recognising the warning signs about a good scheme with the potential to be exploited.
    It is my experience that ALP candidates allign themselves with whomever they feel gives them the best chance of power. That is why in the Beattie bielection the ALP candidate changed from "left" to "moderate".

Really really hope that the knives come out for Bligh soon. Absolutely sick of her running this state. Worst premier we have ever had in my lifetime. I'm really hoping she has a monumental dummy spit as well, along the same lines as Borbidge.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    It is my experience that ALP candidates allign themselves with whomever they feel gives them the best chance of power. That is why in the Beattie bielection the ALP candidate changed from "left" to "moderate".
    Grace Grace is amazing! Definitely a lefty at heart.

Really really hope that the knives come out for Bligh soon. Absolutely sick of her running this state. Worst premier we have ever had in my lifetime. I'm really hoping she has a monumental dummy spit as well, along the same lines as Borbidge.
    Knives have already pierced the skin.

The amount of work some people have done to keep her in the top job...at some stage they'll dessert a sinking ship and save their own bacon one feels.

In other news, Q&A was fantastic tonight. It's gotten to the stage where if you raided Turnbull's wallet you wouldn't be surprised if you found an ALP membership card.

In other news, Q&A was fantastic tonight. It's gotten to the stage where if you raided Turnbull's wallet you wouldn't be surprised if you found an ALP membership card.
    I know the guy and, as I've said on here before, he's going to take people down with him one way or another

Knives have already pierced the skin.

The amount of work some people have done to keep her in the top job...at some stage they'll dessert a sinking ship and save their own bacon one feels.
    That is an awesome name. Right up there with Neville Neville.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

I hate the whole ALP factionalism and caucus. It seems to prevent good policy more than help it. The only thing that the ALP machine seems to be good at is winning elections.

Was utterly gutted at the rolling of Iemma/Costa in NSW, who were by far the best ALP team NSW had seen in years. At least in terms of policy.

I am a staunch Lib, but would change to a swinging voter the moment that the ALP removed the power of the unions from the caucus and allowed their MPs to cross the floor.

The Liberal Party is far more pragmatic than the ALP and that, to me, is the key to good governance.

I hate the whole ALP factionalism and caucus. It seems to prevent good policy more than help it. The only thing that the ALP machine seems to be good at is winning elections.

Was utterly gutted at the rolling of Iemma/Costa in NSW, who were by far the best ALP team NSW had seen in years. At least in terms of policy.

I am a staunch Lib, but would change to a swinging voter the moment that the ALP removed the power of the unions from the caucus and allowed their MPs to cross the floor.

The Liberal Party is far more pragmatic than the ALP and that, to me, is the key to good governance.

And that, mate, is the only game in town.

Haha - Nicola Roxoff with golf balls as props in QT - gold.
    Last edited by Burgey; 22-02-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Good man.

The Liberal party are easily one of the most successful post-war political parties.

Been in power for 43 out of the last 61 years, Federally.

And will return to the Treasury benches later this year, under Staight Talker's stewardship.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Good man.

The Liberal party are easily one of the most successful post-war political parties.
    Been in power for 43 out of the last 61 years, Federally.

And will return to the Treasury benches later this year, under Staight Talker's stewardship.
    There are really only two that count though. So yes, they are one of the most successful parties.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    There are really only two that count though. So yes, they are one of the most successful parties.
    Agree, definitely in the top 2.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Thread Information