Page 24 of 981 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124524 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    While we're posting these questions, there's a few more I'm interested in seeing other views on.

1) There is too much nudity and explicit sexual material on television
    Not enough for mine

2) People who enter Australia illegally and who claim to be a refugee should be detained while their claims are assessed
    Worst statement ever that.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm the same. Unions and gay rights are the main issues that I think I inherited from my family as things that I couldn't help but be passionate about. I think most politically active people have a handful of things that mean more to them than your average political debate, and they're definitely up there for me, along with a few things to do with criminal law and civil liberties.

Funnily enough, there was a time when Dad went against his usual Union-ism. He was in management at Laminex before it went bust in this area, and there was a strike with everyone bar management not working. He went into work regardless (Not sure why, though. He got death threats on the way in) and did the manual labour jobs that weren't being done because he worked his way up from the factory floor and had done it all before. He was being abused at the fence by the workers as he drove by on a fork-lift, moving timbre. He just smiled and waved at them.

Edit: Actually, I think it was while the workers could strike and return the work without fear, Dad would've likely lost his job over it. Not entirely sure of the circumstances, though.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Funnily enough, there was a time when Dad went against his usual Union-ism. He was in management at Laminex before it went bust in this area, and there was a strike with everyone bar management not working. He went into work regardless (Not sure why, though. He got death threats on the way in) and did the manual labour jobs that weren't being done because he worked his way up from the factory floor and had done it all before. He was being abused at the fence by the workers as he drove by on a fork-lift, moving timbre. He just smiled and waved at them.

Edit: Actually, I think it was while the workers could strike and return the work without fear, Dad would've likely lost his job over it. Not entirely sure of the circumstances, though.
    Ah so a few call's of being a sell-out in a not so nice way then? What years was that in if you don't mind me asking?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Vice-Captain pinchy81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    And kids running wild. Should just be locked up until they're 18, tbh.
    hey im right here any more abusive things you have to say about us young uns
    Last edited by pinchy81; 25-01-2007 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Pinchy81- McPinch iz a gun4lyf.
    "Straight-Edge means I'm better than you!"

While we're posting these questions, there's a few more I'm interested in seeing other views on.

1) There is too much nudity and explicit sexual material on television

2) People who enter Australia illegally and who claim to be a refugee should be detained while their claims are assessed

3) Unions are the democratic voice of working people

These are all issues where I came down strongly on the "left" side. The Unions one is a bit trickier than the other two IMO, because it's a statement which one could disagree with solely on the grounds of the corruption which has often been inherent in Unions over the years. In principle I definitely agree though, and it's something of a pet issue for me.

I'm particularly interested in the second one, mainly to see if there's anyone on here who supports mandatory detention.

1. Theres not that much is there? Anyways... isn't that what ratings are for?

2. To a certain extent yes. imo you shouldn't be allowed to effectively enter the country at your own free will. But instead of locking them up, get them working (only if those in question are fit enough to work) whilst their claims are being assessed. (Pretty much what geg said)

3. Never had anything to do with unions tbh, so went with the undecided options. IMO though the employer should have more rights than the employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Ah so a few call's of being a sell-out in a not so nice way then? What years was that in if you don't mind me asking?
    Early 90's. 1990 I think.

K 'Hanson' Clapham, quickly establishing himself as CW's resident redneck.

tbh i'd rather sandpaper the ***hole of an alligator than be put in the same political category as Hanson

3) Unions are the democratic voice of working people
    Unions can be good. But, in my opinion, some are far too tribal, hostile and have a chip on their shoulder. If they had, as their sole purpose, the improvement of employment terms and conditions of each worker, then yeah they're no bad thing.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Could you trust a union-backed ALP with Australia's economy? I mean no foreign debt, and the changing laws to help superannuation funds (ie matching dollar for dollar, very little or no tax on your super contributions etc (in what I mean the Coalation government is always changing the laws to make it easier for each individual).

Some people on here would rather pay more tax to fund other projects, well whatever takes your fancy, but I wouldn't anyway, and I voted disagree about helping struggling artists and the like, but then I'm not into that 'Culture' scene so for me personally it would be a waste of money, but for others it won't so I can see that angle.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Some people on here would rather pay more tax to fund other projects, well whatever takes your fancy, but I wouldn't anyway, and I voted disagree about helping struggling artists and the like, but then I'm not into that 'Culture' scene so for me personally it would be a waste of money, but for others it won't so I can see that angle.
    Don't really understand that attitude myself. The entire concept of taxation involves contributions towards the greater good, rather than your own personal needs. Something like funding for the arts (for instance) allows people with artistic ability to apply for grants or win prizes or whatever that are government funded, and begin a career they might not otherwise have been able to attempt, as well as obviously increasing the chances of people with artistic ability being spotted.

I don't think we have a major problem with funding the arts in Australia, since we already do pretty well in that regard, so I can see why someone might have disagreed, but the argument that it's a waste of money to fund the arts if you yourself don't consume much art (which I'd imagine you do, but that's another issue) makes no sense to me. Does that also mean that it's a waste of money to pay taxes which go towards education if you don't go to school, or health care if you aren't sick? How about the military if you don't feel under threat, or the salaries of public servants? I don't personally use many government services at all, but that hardly means that they aren't worthwhile or that I don't have a responsibility to fund them.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 25-01-2007 at 06:05 AM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Don't really understand that attitude myself. The entire concept of taxation involves contributions towards the greater good, rather than your own personal needs. Something like funding for the arts (for instance) allows people with artistic ability to apply for grants or win prizes or whatever that are government funded, and begin a career they might not otherwise have been able to attempt, as well as obviously increasing the chances of people with artistic ability being spotted.

I don't think we have a major problem with funding the arts in Australia, since we already do pretty well in that regard, so I can see why someone might have disagreed, but the argument that it's a waste of money to fund the arts if you yourself don't consume much art (which I'd imagine you do, but that's another issue) makes no sense to me. Does that also mean that it's a waste of money to pay taxes which go towards education if you don't go to school, or health care if you aren't sick? How about the military if you don't feel under threat, or the salaries of public servants? I don't personally use many government services at all, but that hardly means that they aren't worthwhile or that I don't have a responsibility to fund them.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

I'll answer that post tomorrow for you.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Political outlook: -28.2% (Centre Left)
    Economic policy: -54.9% (Left)
    Social policy: 4.2% (Centre)
    Traditional values: -25.4% (Centre Left)

Party Preference

Labor Party: 77.6%
    Australian Democrats: 72.4%
    Greens: 71.3%
    Family First: 54.9%
    Liberal Party: 50.8%
    One Nation: 49.7%
    National Party: 40.6%

Hahaha. Hey, what the hell.. I believe in welfare..
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Hahaha

Thread Information