Page 20 of 988 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120520 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 14808
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

  1. #286
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    There were a few happy people in the office today upon the news spreading that Vanstone got dumped.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  2. #287
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,876
    Joe Hockey - putting a human, avuncular, cuddly face to the public stinker that is Workchoices.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  3. #288
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,056
    Malcom Turnbull is toss, doesn't know **** about water... give the portfolio to someone who actually does... sad thing is though... who in parliament does
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  4. #289
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Malcom Turnbull is toss, doesn't know **** about water... give the portfolio to someone who actually does... sad thing is though... who in parliament does
    And to hear Elizbeth Nosworthy claim yeasterday that we are not in a crisis only for Anna Bligh (deputy Premier) to contridict her claim and potentially 100% of our water will be recycled. Has this mentioned in other states?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.


  5. #290
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,312
    Anyone see that thing about the guy who only has a week to live, and applied for his redundancy payments a while ago (only wanted $50K out of a possible $200K), because his kids have already lost their mother. And the company where he's been working for 43 years or something like that refused to pay? Haha, poor guy.

    Eventually they got it, only after ACA trotted out their reporters and Alan Jones ( ), and they attacked the "Floor Manager" of the company, whom I'm sure had a lot to do with the decision not to give the redundancy package . Other stations covered it too and talked about how during the day through negotiations with the company (Joe Hockey got involved [P.S. that's a great name to type, for some reason] and went to the directors) it was decided that they would give him severance pay. However, ACA showed nothing of this and just mentioned it at the end of the piece, in traditional style to make it look as though they're responsible for the change of fortunes for the Great Aussie Battler.

    EDIT: I realize it's got SFA to do with politics - although Hockey did his smiling Michelin man routine and got some good publicity out of it - but I walked into this thread and I was still angry. Oh, and going by Jono's post the other day about ACA - smote me down Lord, bring it on ****.

  6. #291
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Anyone see that thing about the guy who only has a week to live, and applied for his redundancy payments a while ago (only wanted $50K out of a possible $200K), because his kids have already lost their mother. And the company where he's been working for 43 years or something like that refused to pay? Haha, poor guy.

    Eventually they got it, only after ACA trotted out their reporters and Alan Jones ( ), and they attacked the "Floor Manager" of the company, whom I'm sure had a lot to do with the decision not to give the redundancy package . Other stations covered it too and talked about how during the day through negotiations with the company (Joe Hockey got involved [P.S. that's a great name to type, for some reason] and went to the directors) it was decided that they would give him severance pay. However, ACA showed nothing of this and just mentioned it at the end of the piece, in traditional style to make it look as though they're responsible for the change of fortunes for the Great Aussie Battler.

    EDIT: I realize it's got SFA to do with politics - although Hockey did his smiling Michelin man routine and got some good publicity out of it - but I walked into this thread and I was still angry. Oh, and going by Jono's post the other day about ACA - smote me down Lord, bring it on ****.
    As with Today Tonight.

    The first story they preview is those bunch of low life tossers making hate video's down in Sydney. Having known a fair amount of Lebanese in my life, all they need to do is bring the kid's father's along and they won't anything out of that.

  7. #292
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And to hear Elizbeth Nosworthy claim yeasterday that we are not in a crisis only for Anna Bligh (deputy Premier) to contridict her claim and potentially 100% of our water will be recycled. Has this mentioned in other states?
    QLD Government are the biggest bunch of incompetent so & so's. Peter Beattie cares about nothing in the state bar brisbane, and seriously has no ****ing idea about the water issue, and tbh it wouldn't at all suprise me if (barring a break in the drough in the next 1 or 2 years) many major centres in SE Queensland ran out of water thanks to him.

  8. #293
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Here's a bit of fun for anyone interested:

    The OZ Politics Test

    Obviously it's most useful for Australians - it analyses your social, political leanings etc, and advises you as to which party most closely represents your views (it asks you first about this so you can compare your conclusions and theirs).

    I actually picked the Democrats (irrelevant as they've become) in terms of who I thought best represented my beliefs at this point in time, though that's mainly only because I'm a big fan of Andrew Bartlett.

    Anyway, I scored:

    Political Outlook: -44.3% (center left)
    Economic Outlook: -34.5% (center left)
    Social Policy: -34% (center left - surprised at this one, but probably influenced by a couple of questions on art grants and maybe universal healthcare?)
    Traditional Values: -66% (left)

    Party Preference:
    ALP: 90.2%
    Democrats: 78.4%
    Greens: 78%
    Family First: 58.5%
    Liberal Party: 41.9%
    National Party: 35.9%
    One Nation: 31.4%
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  9. #294
    Cricketer Of The Year Adamc's Avatar
    Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in the wind, so to speak
    Posts
    9,129
    Mmm no real surprises for me.

    Political Outlook:
    -54.2% (left)
    Economic Outlook: -42.1% (centre left)
    Social Policy: --43.5% (left)
    Traditional Values: -68.9% (left)

    Party Preference:
    Democrats: 89.1%
    Greens: 81.6%
    ALP: 79.3%
    Family First: 51%
    Liberals: 42.1%
    Nationals: 30%
    One Nation: 26.9%

  10. #295
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    There's probably a few errors here and there (for example, a couple of questions obviously make particular conclusions from the answers given, but I could see that if you had various beliefs behind your answer, it could conclude the opposite.

    But it seems a better guage than that old Political Compass one we all used to do, which appeared to dramatically skew everybody to the Left.

  11. #296
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Political Outlook: -34.5% (Centre left)
    Economic Outlook: -28% (centre left)
    Social Policy: --40.7% (Centre left)
    Traditional Values: -41.1% (Centre left)

    Party Preference:
    Democrats: 82.5%
    Greens: 70.6%
    ALP: 68.5%
    Liberals: 50.3%
    Family First: 46%
    Nationals: 40.9%
    One Nation: 28.2%
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  12. #297
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Haha, got placed a little further to the left than I expected. I guess I was "strongly" set on too many issues to be closer to the centre. I don't think I'm that far to the left on some of the issues raised, really, and I might rethink a few of my answers if I did it again. Liking my "traditional values" score though.

    Political outlook: -91.6% (far left)
    Economic policy: -78.3% (far left)
    Social policy: -87% (far left)
    Traditional values: -100% (far left)

    Party Preference
    Greens: 99.6%
    Democrats: 84.8%
    Labor Party: 72.9%
    Family First: 34.8%
    Liberal Party: 17.7%
    One Nation: 17.2%
    National Party: 13.3%
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  13. #298
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Political outlook: -91.6% (far left)
    Economic policy: -78.3% (far left)
    Social policy: -87% (far left)
    Traditional values: -100% (far left)
    HJC, it's Chairman Mao!

  14. #299
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,182
    Political Outlook: -31.5%, which equates to a ‘Centre Left’ position
    Economic Outlook: -3.9%. This equates to a ‘Centre’ position
    Social Policy: -15.1%. This equates to a ‘Centre Left’ position
    Traditional Values: -54.1%. This equates to a ‘Left’ position

    Party Preference:
    Democrats: 77.4%
    Greens: 74.9%
    Labor Party: 67.7%
    Liberal Party: 57%
    Family First: 48.1%
    National Party: 38.8%
    One Nation: 32.8%
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  15. #300
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™ View Post
    HJC, it's Chairman Mao!
    Looking forward to seeing pasag's results, personally. With no questions about Israel he'll probably be further to the left than me.

    Pretty sure Mao would have flunked the "social policy" section, btw.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Conditions - The Difference?
    By benchmark00 in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-10-2006, 08:38 AM
  2. 2004/05 Australian domestic season thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1116
    Last Post: 27-03-2005, 10:25 PM
  3. *Official* India in Australia Thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2652
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:00 PM
  4. South Australian Crickets Don Bradman Medal Night
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •