Cricket Player Manager
Page 158 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258658 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 15016
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Personally do not have a problem with Rudd putting the Budget into deficit - just as long as net Commonwealth debt is no more than $20 billion or so. However, in putting it into deficit, at least spend the money on some structural reforms such as lowering the company tax rate for example. For mine, a recession is not a disaster, but a high unemployment recession is. To that end, in cutting company tax, at least there is some pressure taken off employers and hopefully they will retain staff for longer than they otherwise would. The good news, in terms of unemployment, is that even if the country dips into recession, costs on business now are not as high as during the last recession, when interest rates were incredibly high.

So what do members on here make of the shooting of the 15 year boy by Victorian Police after he taunted them and threatened their safety (apparently). I'm not too clued up on the full details though.

So was it an over-reaction or was it justified? Bearing in mind it is one thing to pass judgement sitting behind a computer screen or in a office and quite another being there on the scene with the gun in your hand and having to make a split second decision whether to shoot or not.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Has NSW Budget been in deficit?
    Yeah, for a year or two I think. Although when Michael Costa was treasurer his line was effectively "Only I can sit here and not spend money for you". Inspirational stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    So what do members on here make of the shooting of the 15 year boy by Victorian Police after he taunted them and threatened their safety (apparently). I'm not too clued up on the full details though.

So was it an over-reaction or was it justified? Bearing in mind it is one thing to pass judgement sitting behind a computer screen or in a office and quite another being there on the scene with the gun in your hand and having to make a split second decision whether to shoot or not.
    My overwhelming thought is just that it's so bloody sad.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Sad. If you spray a bloke twice, draw your firearm and he still isn't going down (even a 15-year-old), it seems pretty likely he was under the influence of something and subduing him just became a lot harder. Couple that with threats to kill the cops in question and it was a pretty nasty situation.

And no, you can't shoot-to-maim; cops are taught to hit centre-mass (chest), the biggest part of the body, to ensure they hit because it so easy to miss. The rationale goes like this; to ensure that you hit, you go for the biggest part of the body to remove the threat. You're not trying to kill them, just remove the threat. If they don't live, the rationale is that they brought the situation upon themselves because another core assumption is that a copper would never draw their firearm unless necessary to protect themselves or someone else. It's later when the investigation occurs that people decide whether the copper's judgement was justified.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Rudd not doing much to dispel rumours he's an (in)action hero;

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Apparently when you look at the proposal in more detail it's very sensible. Australia is one of the lowest users of emissions, something like 1.5% of the world's emissions total. The 5% reduction allows for jobs to remain in tact while still doing something about the environment. Not up on all the facts, but that's the basics of what I heard this morning.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Apparently when you look at the proposal in more detail it's very sensible. Australia is one of the lowest users of emissions, something like 1.5% of the world's emissions total. The 5% reduction allows for jobs to remain in tact while still doing something about the environment. Not up on all the facts, but that's the basics of what I heard this morning.
    Aren't we still second in per capita?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Aren't we still second in per capita?
    Dunno. Just paraphrasing what I heard this morning.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    yah, aus's poulation makes up something like .256% of the world pop...so to be producing 1.5% isnt something to be proud of.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

So much for this being 'the great moral challenge of our time'.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    It is; Rudd's just immoral.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Personally do not have a problem with Rudd putting the Budget into deficit - just as long as net Commonwealth debt is no more than $20 billion or so. However, in putting it into deficit, at least spend the money on some structural reforms such as lowering the company tax rate for example. For mine, a recession is not a disaster, but a high unemployment recession is. To that end, in cutting company tax, at least there is some pressure taken off employers and hopefully they will retain staff for longer than they otherwise would. The good news, in terms of unemployment, is that even if the country dips into recession, costs on business now are not as high as during the last recession, when interest rates were incredibly high.

Yeah. Don't bother spending money on infrastructure or education...you're much better off allowing businesses the freedom to keep peoples jobs (or not keep them if they wish)
    Last edited by James90; 18-12-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

I see howardj's point to some extent, but I think that Rudd has attacked this in an OK way.

Give a quick increase to consumption, and now the rest of the money is going towards investment and long term projects.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Just thought I would. That's all

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post

Yeah. Don't bother spending money on infrastructure or education...you're much better off allowing businesses the freedom to keep peoples jobs (or not keep them if they wish)
    Harsh.

Was talking about the surplus which has been frittered away with one-off payments to many undeserving people, and not spent on infrastructure or reform.

Thread Information