Page 151 of 988 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251651 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 14808
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Dire. Terrible campaign by Labor in WA by all reports. Must confess I haven't been following it too closely.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Dire. Terrible campaign by Labor in WA by all reports. Must confess I haven't been following it too closely.
    What are people's thought on Rudd governments decisions on not supplying uranium to India until, India signs the NPT. I think its bit hypocritical of the government when they are willing to supply the uranium to China which despite being member of NPT hasn't really followed its rules. China has had hand in Pakistan getting the technology and also prolifieration to North Korea.
    Another funny thing they supported the Waiver of NPT given to India recently as well... Australia can make its own decision i guess but the money it would get from selling uranium to india surely would be good for the the nations economy.

Kevin Rudd is basically the Chinese Premier's bitch. There I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Australia is basically the Chinese Premier's bitch. There I said it.
    Fixed.

I think our Olympic team was announced as "And now the team from our coal supply".

Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post

AWTA.

Christ I'm starting to look good here

How to win government

By Andrew Bartlett

Iíll leave it to those closer to the ground in Western Australia to assess some of the finer details behind the WA election results. But perhaps the message for the Liberals federally from the WA election is to go full steam ahead with a leadership brawl or two, donít worry about developing clear policy distinctions and see if they can have an embarrassing scandal or two, some pre-selection disputes and get some MPs to resign in disgust.

We all know the public angsting political parties in opposition go through about doing the hard yards to rebuild public support, develop credible policies, put forward strong candidates, maintain a consistent message, etc etc as being the only way back to government. Yet the Liberals have managed to (almost) do it after having four leaders in less than four years, constant turmoil, resignations and public acrimony. All credit to Colin Barnett, who obviously has some appeal to the electorate, but he must still be pinching himself to check heís not dreaming.

Regardless of what other lessons can be drawn from this election, it would have go down as one of the best examples ever of the maxim that oppositions donít win elections, governments lose them.

ELSEWHERE: These assessments by Kevin Rennie at his blog and particularly this one by Crankynick at Larvatus Prodeo also say Labor did a good job of stuffing it up.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...330740676.html

Will the libs continue with a lame duck until closer to a federal election or use the impetus gained from recent local and state elctions to pake a more positive statement?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Been watching Question Time a bit lately. Swan is an absolute joke. Give the economy to a chimp to look after.

Labor's 'we inherited these problems from the Liberal Government' is also getting really old. Been almost a year, yeah?
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Been watching Question Time a bit lately. Swan is an absolute joke. Give the economy to a chimp to look after.

Labor's 'we inherited these problems from the Liberal Government' is also getting really old. Been almost a year, yeah?
    How many years did the Liberal government (and every govt in history) run with that line?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    How many years did the Liberal government (and every govt in history) run with that line?
    Hardly old enough to remember. Am sick of hearing the same thing each time. Poor pensioners.

To be fair to Labor, most of the problems with the economy are externally generated.

However, if I was living in Oz, I'd rather have almost anyone but Labor in charge at present - they simply have no clue how to deal with the economy, the unions or business people

Hardly old enough to remember. Am sick of hearing the same thing each time. Poor pensioners.
    You have to remember how the political cycle works. The government will give the pensioners a rise next year - all of them, not just single pensioners. They'll do it then because it's reasonably close to an election. If they do it now, they have to consider another one pre-election to keep them happy, which means less money for other spending in the lead up to the election.
    Cynical? Yes. Smart politics? Yes.

I hope Turnbull wins today.

For mine, the bottom line is that the Liberals stand little chance of winning in 2010.

But, under Nelson, they stand no chance.

Why would they want to prolong the leadership of someone who is unelectable?

Thread Information