Page 109 of 931 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209609 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 13957
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    So howard are you going to be hitting up the booze shops then?
    Only to dull the pain of defeat! I'm actually leaving my cricket game early tomorrow, so I can get a few under my belt before the gloomy results start rolling in! I just think what's clinched it for Labor has been that (perhaps like 2004) people are ready to move on from Howard, and Kevin Rudd (being the safe looking person that he is) gives them the opportunity to do that - in a way that Mad Mark did not.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Newspoll: 52-48
    Galaxy: 57-43
    Roy Morgan: 54-46

On for young and old.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Finally, the narrowing: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...91-601,00.html

God let this week be over. If my boss is tracking my web use, I'm goneski.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Only to dull the pain of defeat! I'm actually leaving my cricket game early tomorrow, so I can get a few under my belt before the gloomy results start rolling in! I just think what's clinched it for Labor has been that (perhaps like 2004) people are ready to move on from Howard, and Kevin Rudd (being the safe looking person that he is) gives them the opportunity to do that - in a way that Mad Mark did not.
    Mate at least you haven't gone and outlaid the massive bets some people have laid on for the Liberals to get back in. I never understand the logic of of just wasting that sort of money, I mean I like a punt just like the next bloke but not that much!
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Mate at least you haven't gone and outlaid the massive bets some people have laid on for the Liberals to get back in. I never understand the logic of of just wasting that sort of money, I mean I like a punt just like the next bloke but not that much!
    Indeed. Betting at all on an election just seems stupid to me.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Well, tomorrow's the day eh?

I've said for 6 weeks 85-63-2. I'll stick with it despite today's polls, which don't fully take in the Jackie Kelly fiasco in Lindsay (which was, by any measure disgraceful. Why play the race card, when you can play race AND religion? A pox on her, and their houses.

Personally, I'm an ALP member and my position is well known on here from the posts I've made. There's been some good discussin on here, which has perversely slackened off iof late, probably because the usual suspects (like me) are on the pseph and political sites atm.

My last point (probably) for this campaign is this. Both sides of politicis can play dirty, but if the Australian people return a party to power which has been responsible for the utter sh*t which went on in Lindsay, then frankly they deserve the libs again, and it will prove that things here have gone to the sh*tter even quicker than I think they have.

Anyway, we'll see tomorrow.

To HJ and the other Tpory supporters with whom I've shared some good banter onthis thread, thanks guys for keeping it interesting and above the personal.

It's a credit to the posters here and to the mods who set the rules for CW.

Cheers.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I'll stick with it despite today's polls, which don't fully take in the Jackie Kelly fiasco in Lindsay (which was, by any measure disgraceful. Why play the race card, when you can play race AND religion? A pox on her, and their houses.
    Yeah agreed. I'd love to see someone attempt to defend that. Absolutely digusting, and it really shows exactly what people will be electing if Howard is somehow returned - a man who has built his political success on appealing to people's worst charactistics. Whatever criticisms one might level at the ALP, and there are many valid ones, they would never, ever stoop so low.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 23-11-2007 at 04:54 AM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Yeah agreed. I'd love to see someone attempt to defend that. Absolutely digusting, and it really shows exactly what people will be electing if Howard is somehow returned - a man who has built his political success on appealing to people's worst charactistics. Whatever criticisms one might level at the ALP, and there are many valid ones, they would never, ever stoop so low.
    Too right. If it's not racism (Tampa, Sorry Day), the hip-pocket (interest-rates scare campaign), the dirt unit or outright lies (Iraq pretext, GST), it's cloak-and-dagger religious bigotry. This, coupled with his need for a Senate majority to push through anything he has actual conviction for (WorkChoices, sedition laws).

Don't let the door hit you on the arse, John.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Haha, Labour voters = so harsh.

Was fascinated by Lateline this evening. Bob Carr was hilariously poor, and Michael Kroger is a champ.

Really hope Johnny makes it. Such a good country.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Agree with Burgey that this thread has been really good during this campaign. Seems surreal that the election will actually be all done this time tomorrow - its been a looming thing on the horizon for SO long now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Should I be this excited/nervous?? Probably not; but the cricket has been hell boring, so I suppose I need something to be excited about

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Well, tomorrow's the day eh?

I've said for 6 weeks 85-63-2. I'll stick with it despite today's polls,
    Like you, Iím sticking to my tip of a Rudd majority of 80-68-2. At least with Rudd and Swan, they are two of the most mainstream people of the Labor Party. Theyíre not weird thinkers. I hope they can wrest (and maintain) control of the Party.

My last point (probably) for this campaign is this. Both sides of politicis can play dirty, but if the Australian people return a party to power which has been responsible for the utter sh*t which went on in Lindsay, then frankly they deserve the libs again, and it will prove that things here have gone to the sh*tter even quicker than I think they have.
    Ah yes, I really think Howard and Liberal HQ ordered those racist pamphlets (which were always going to be exposed, given that they referred to a non-existent Muslim organization and contained such explosive claims) in an attempt to sabotage their own campaign and deprive themselves of political oxygen for a full two days. Seriously, the idea that they would spike their own campaign, two days out from an election, beggars belief. This act was not authorized by the Liberal Party.

Anyway, (responding to your last point) my last point for this campaign is this: Given State Laborís appalling track record on the things they are responsible for (hospitals, transport and water infrastructure) why on earth would you federalize that sort of incompetence? Oh, and the current $80 billion of debt. This is all despite having access to record funding in the form of a growth tax (the GST).

By contrast, look at the main things the Federal Liberal Government is responsible for Ė the economy and the security of our nation. On both fronts, they have done a sterling job. I donít need moral guidance from the Federal Government (as an adult you should have your own moral compass) I just need them to create the conditions that help to bring about a strong economy, so I can have a job, a mortgage, a future. I just want the bare basics from Government, and then Iíll back myself to create a life that I am happy with.

Anyway, on the moral/honesty front, I repudiate totally the smears (espoused by folk such as Longhop Cassidy above Ė an otherwise good bloke) in relation to children overboard, weapons of mass destruction, the introduction of the GST etc. I think the idea is that if you say lump all those things in the same sentence and say them quickly, then they will sound convincing. In reality, you could drive a truck through those baseless smears.

To HJ and the other Tpory supporters with whom I've shared some good banter onthis thread, thanks guys for keeping it interesting and above the personal.

It's a credit to the posters here and to the mods who set the rules for CW.
    Yeah, I concur with you and Matt79 that it has been an awesome thread. Iíve always thought that cricket (and, by extension, cricket forums etc) attracts intelligent people. Granted, you do get some dullards, but in the main, cricket is magnet for intelligence. Given that politics arouses such passion, itís a monument to the tolerance of people that this thread has, I stand to be corrected, yet to attract even a warning from a moderator.

Peace out

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Cheers HJ - hope you have a good day (but a not very happy evening!!)

The election's on a Saturday? (eg now/tomorrow/tonight)
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Thread Information