Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Diwali to everyone

Aside from lighting off fireworks, what else also happens?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Sweets for the food lovers. A lot of diyas are lit in the homes like this for example:

It is the biggest hindu festival along with Janmasthami (birth of lord Krishna). I am looking forward to some fun next few days.

Happy diwali every one!

PY
    Still can't believe some people make their own fireworks then take it a step further on my crazy-o-meter by lighting them themselves...
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Still can't believe some people make their own fireworks then take it a step further on my crazy-o-meter by lighting them themselves...
    Fireworks are usually made by companies. The problem with the fireworks industry is that they employ a lot of children. I read a report on this a few years ago if I recall it correctly.

R_D
    Hahaha thats the best part about Diwali. Lighting the fireworks

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Happy Diwali to all who celebrate it.

Happy Diwali to all!

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Happy Diwali to all who celebrate it.
    Hey can you remove that Avtaar, please ? Everytime I see it, Fireworks sstaart some where.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Happy Diwali. I won't celebrate it until an Indian bowler bowls an over at an average speed of 90mph without wides or no balls.

So basically, I'm finished with Diwali.

For those interested in it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

C_C
    Well most fireworks are made in factories. Some of the more adventurous and closet pyros (like me) tend to 'mod' the fireworks a bit sometimes, usually involving packing more stuff in the fire-fountains to get more height or color additions.
    However, lighting fireworks is a lot of fun. Sometimes accidents happen but unless you do something really ********, it isnt an issue. Also, people rarely go fire off fireworks on their own-usually you are surrounded by family and hyperventilating moms who quite literally make sure that their sons and daughters arnt gonna go kaboom.

Also, one thing about Diwali ( or Kali puja as its known in my part of India) is that you see a LOT of variety of fireworks in display. Its not just a whole lotta noisy and fancy explosions in the night sky- you see that near the 'government areas' of most cities anyways- its a lot of fire fountains, roman candles, micro-dynamites, these coiled firework stuff that ejects a long plume of flames and spin around on its axis once lit, these really sparkly fire-stick thingies, mini rockets of all sorts(launched mostly from bottles), etc etc. All the while, most buildings have oil-wick candles lined across the balcony or roofs.
    I'll try to find some pictures but stupid google is mostly filled with the the candle pics.
    Last edited by C_C; 19-10-2006 at 03:34 PM.

PY
    Yeah, I just probably wouldn't trust myself not to have done something very stupid when modifying the firework, thus putting myself in grave danger when lighting it myself.

C_C
    Yeah, I just probably wouldn't trust myself not to have done something very stupid when modifying the firework, thus putting myself in grave danger when lighting it myself.

Well modifications are rare coz usually you end up getting a good beating if mom or dad finds out that you messed with the fireworks. That being said, minor burns (ie, very minor- the sort where you put cream on it for 2-3 days and its good as new) are very common, especially to your hands.
    The firefountains usually are the hairy ones- its basically a clay pot with a lotta powder packed in it with various metallic oxides thrown in for color, with an opening near the top. The whole idea is to light it, run away and watch a 'fountain' of fire happening. Some of those fire-fountains can be as high as 3 storeys. Rarely (but not so rare that you dont hear about it) those clay pots explode after a few seconds instead of producing controlled burn. In actual numbers, there are always several major burns or deaths happening but in terms of scale, it is so insignificant. Practically the whole of India is blasting fireworks that day.
    If you ever go to India, Diwali or Holi ( around spring time) are two major 'fun events' to take part in and methinks you'll quite enjoy it unless you are too much of a chicken.

PS: And if you are too much of a chicken, holi should be the 'other major fun' festival- you get to toss colors at everyone-water, powder and sometimes oil. You come home looking like a world cup face-painter fan who couldnt quite deciede what regalia to paint his/her face,clothes and body with and ended up doing a total 'fudge'. You also get to drink a lotta bhang during holi if thats your thing.
    ofcourse, throwing color at building/cars are not appreciated-you can get beaten up for that.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Hey can you remove that Avtaar, please ? Everytime I see it, Fireworks sstaart some where.
    Hey, not my fault you ain't getting any

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Happy Diwali. I won't celebrate it until an Indian bowler bowls an over at an average speed of 90mph without wides or no balls.

So basically, I'm finished with Diwali.

For those interested in it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
    A very good read for those who don't know why Diwali is celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Hey, not my fault you ain't getting any

That has to go in my sig

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information