Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 367

Thread: Veil or No Veil????

  1. #1
    State 12th Man godofcricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    724

    Veil or No Veil????

    I have been hearing this for the last week, theres huge debate going on this every day in UK. I personally feel that it should be left to ones personal opinion on what they want to wear and what they dont. If its democracy, then why are people forcing the muslim women????
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

    Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

    Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

    Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

    > > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

  2. #2
    International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Same place as the Ashes
    Posts
    5,615
    No veil, but I'm a racist, so what do I know?

  3. #3
    Banned sideshowtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,255
    It's part of their religious tradition, why should they be forced to take them off?

  4. #4
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Isn't the case in point where she was a teacher and the kids couldn't understand what she was on about?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim
    It's part of their religious tradition, why should they be forced to take them off?
    It's now well documented that the veil is optional - it is tradtional, but cultural tradition rather than religous tradition. The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.

  6. #6
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    It's now well documented that the veil is optional - it is tradtional, but cultural tradition rather than religous tradition. The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
    Agreed, When we go to the middle east we abide by their traditions (not drinking alcohol, taking shoes off in holy place).. Why on earth do they cry foul when we expect them to abide by ours?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    It's now well documented that the veil is optional - it is tradtional, but cultural tradition rather than religous tradition. The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
    first of all, the question of such rights come up only if it's a democracy and if "people" have the right to talk to a face instead of a piece of fabric, what about the rights of the woman behind the fabric, of course if she is wearing the fabric voluntarily...?

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
    Yes, you should have the choice regarding talking to people or not who wear veils or not. However, the given people have the choice regarding wearing a veil or choosing to talk to people who have selectiveness like the one you highlighted. By outlawing, you are denying free will to the veil wearer while the person is not harming any one.
    Last edited by Pratters; 15-10-2006 at 12:29 PM.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Agreed, When we go to the middle east we abide by their traditions (not drinking alcohol, taking shoes off in holy place).. Why on earth do they cry foul when we expect them to abide by ours?
    Just because some countries restrict free will regarding facets, others shouldn't follow suit. It is not us versus them. It is giving people free will to choose or not provided they are not harming any one or any thing else.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Agreed, When we go to the middle east we abide by their traditions (not drinking alcohol, taking shoes off in holy place).. Why on earth do they cry foul when we expect them to abide by ours?
    those societies that you refer to are not free, and you have the choice not to go there....the "tradition" in a free society is the exercise of your free will, is it not?

  11. #11
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    those societies that you refer to are not free, and you have the choice not to go there....the "tradition" in a free society is the exercise of your free will, is it not?
    True, however nobodys tried to outlaw the veil AFAIK.. Mr Straw simply politely asked if they would remove it. Why it caused so much offence is beyond me, no harm in asking, or is there?..

  12. #12
    State 12th Man godofcricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
    Well u have only got one side of argument, your thinking about those "other people", what about the women whos actually the target of all this???? True people have got the right to talk to a face, but if a women feels more comfortable talking to someone with the fabric on, then it shouldnt be a big issue.

  13. #13
    State 12th Man godofcricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    True, however nobodys tried to outlaw the veil AFAIK.. Mr Straw simply politely asked if they would remove it. Why it caused so much offence is beyond me, no harm in asking, or is there?..
    Nope, but it has created a big issue, not only did he just say it to her, but as far as i know he wants every women to atleast remove the veil so proper communication could be achieved, as he cant communicate without seeing anyones face

  14. #14
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket
    Nope, but it has created a big issue, not only did he just say it to her, but as far as i know he wants every women to atleast remove the veil so proper communication could be achieved, as he cant communicate without seeing anyones face
    I dont have much experience in it, but surely it cant be as easy to hear what they are saying? Like listening to a surgeon with a mask on.. And if he mistook what they were saying, he'd probably offend them even more

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    True, however nobodys tried to outlaw the veil AFAIK.. Mr Straw simply politely asked if they would remove it. Why it caused so much offence is beyond me, no harm in asking, or is there?..
    the concept of the veil is that only the woman's husband is allowed to see her face or something of the sort(our muslim members can correct me if i've misstated anything)...now that might sound barbaric to you and me and a lot of other people....but if a woman believes in that and wears the veil voluntarily, wouldn't it cause offence if she is asked to reveal her face to other men...? when the woman is against it and is being forced to do it, that's another story altogether....

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •