Cricket Player Manager
Page 90 of 686 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190590 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 10280
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Looking forward to watching There Will Be Blood, The Driving Bell and The Butterfly, Once, Persepolis, Jesse James, Michael Clayton, Savages, Away From Her, Romance and Cigarettes among others in due course.
    Interested to hear what people think of this. The Assassination of Jesse James that is.

I was dying to see it when it was at the cinema here but circumstances didn't really allow it, and it had a brief run even in the arthouse cinemas. I'm convinced it'll be excellent, the subject matter appeals to me, it has a promising cast, the director did one of my favourite films, and to top it off Nick Cave did the score. Anyway, aside from generally positive media reviews I've not heard anything specific. Basically, nobody I know has seen it.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

cpr
    Watched Charlie Wilsons War last night, the premise of the storyline is a bit thin, and the whole Afghan War is almost glossed over at times, but apart from that, the script and the dialogue is very good. Hoffman almost steals the show with his laid back character.
    If the film was an extra half an hour, and put a bit more in regarding the development of the war and Wilson's role in it (rather than 2 min of quick glimpses of him getting more congressional cash) i'd give it a good 9.5/10, as it is i'm going for 8.5/10. Expect to be entertained rather than educated.

Hoffman really does look a shoe in for that supporting actor oscar on his performance though.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Interested to hear what people think of this. The Assassination of Jesse James that is.

I was dying to see it when it was at the cinema here but circumstances didn't really allow it, and it had a brief run even in the arthouse cinemas. I'm convinced it'll be excellent, the subject matter appeals to me, it has a promising cast, the director did one of my favourite films, and to top it off Nick Cave did the score. Anyway, aside from generally positive media reviews I've not heard anything specific. Basically, nobody I know has seen it.
    Yeah, I have been really looking forward to watching the movie for a fair bit as well. Will be watching within the next couple of days and will let you know how I find it...

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    Saw Cloverfield and No Country for Old Men yesterday evening. Two somewhat surprising endings for me.

Cloverfield was great. I wasn't a massive fan of the Blair Witch Project's style of using a handcam as the only source, but it did the job fantastically. The acting was decent, I suppose - sometimes it seemed a little fake or extreme but hey, it is an action flick (if not your typical one).

No Country for Old Men was almost the exact opposite. Fantastic acting, great story but then... then it ended. I think everyone in the cinema was having the same reaction. Dead quiet and then a couple of murmurs of "What?" and "Huh?" going on. Maybe it was meant to be a bit artsy but I found the ending didn't satisfy me. It certainly didn't meet my expectations after seeing it fly into the top 20 of the IMDb's all time rankings. Wish there was more to it, but oh well.

EDIT: After reading over a lot of explanations of the movie, I suppose I did get those bits but just didn't find them good enough reasons to make a movie. I feel this movie was one that could have been so much more, and that the small themes that went with it are, well, rather boring to me. Oh well.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 07-02-2008 at 04:12 AM.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Went to the movies today with a few things in mind, ended up seeing Sweeney Todd. Wasn't bad, very nice to look at and had some cute bits, but ultimately I could have missed out on it and it wouldn't have mattered. Basically the way I feel about every Tim Burton film.

No Country For Old Men and Charlie Wilson's War are the other two I want to see. Hopefully I'll catch them in the next couple of weeks.

^ Except for the original Batman flick by Tim Burton. You have to see that, if only so you can go on the Batman ride in the 90s at Movie World on the Gold Coast.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Just finished watching American Gangster.

Denzel.
    orz

Haha, summed up brilliantly I think.

Plus, Denzel did his routine (and yet always awesome) rant where he's calm, then starts getting incredibly pissed off and yells, and then is calm again (and pours himself some tea).

So good. Plus no one says the words "Shiiiiiit" and "My man" better than Denzel.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Nah Forrest Whitaker does IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Problem with Whitaker is in every role previous to The Last King of Scotland he's been a pansy. In Phone Booth and Panic Room I felt like yelling "harden the **** up "

Even when Denzel is a bit of a softy (Crimson Tide, The Siege) he's still got a mean streak.

Plus, Denzel > Whitaker's lazy eye

I kid of course, Whitaker is a very talented actor. Good to see his career taking off.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I totally forgot he was in Phone Booth actually, love that film.

He was great in The Last King of Scotland, that's the only thing I can distinctly remember him in.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Wasn't a pussy in Platoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Got owned in The Shield.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Problem with Whitaker is in every role previous to The Last King of Scotland he's been a pansy. In Phone Booth and Panic Room I felt like yelling "harden the **** up "
    True. He camped it up more than Kenneth Williams on heat in Species
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Never thought I'd live to say this, but I just saw a worse movie tonight than Joe's Apartment.

Sweeney Todd.

They were busting out into song, rather than just normal dialogue.

Depp is one weird, weird piece of work.

Thread Information