Page 635 of 674 FirstFirst ... 135535585625633634635636637645 ... LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,525 of 10108
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Official Movie Discussion Thread

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Never really been that fussed about the Batman films. Point in fact that I've seen The Dark Knight about 3 times, just due to chance really, and I can barely remember anything that happened in it now. Don't get the hype at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah, same. Can definitely understand when people say they find Nolan's films a bit cold. Have seen most of his films, lack soul in my view. Masterful in other ways, though.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Yeah, same. Can definitely understand when people say they find Nolan's films a bit cold. Have seen most of his films, lack soul in my view. Masterful in other ways, though.
    I definitely felt that with Inception. Maybe people's prior attachment to a superhero means that the ties and emotional investment don't need to be developed in the Batman movies, they are already present.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Found out some days ago that Quentin Tarantino film is coming out in December: "Django Unchained"; quite excited for this one

I think it's a reason why he shouldn't be placed in the very top tier of film directors. He is a master at creating complex plots that resolve in surprising and clever ways, but I find almost all his films, as you said, lack soul. I think the problem is he places too much time and emphasis on making the plot elements work together, but it leaves him with little room to properly develop characters (e.g. Memento). And, imo, the very best films, almost exclusively, are the ones which are heavily character orientated.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I definitely felt that with Inception. Maybe people's prior attachment to a superhero means that the ties and emotional investment don't need to be developed in the Batman movies, they are already present.
    Well I guess you could argue that more for the TDK...because the back story was already developed in BB, so you really probably don't need as much time for that kind of development. But, personally, I think any really good film needs that side to it.

Nolan's only 40 isn't he? Plenty of time to do great things. Let's face it, he's had a decent start.

Nolan's only 40 isn't he? Plenty of time to do great things. Let's face it, he's had a decent start.
    Not so sure, Directors more or less have a decided pattern by the time they hit their 40s, unless its Kubrick. Nolan is brilliant in plot construction, but as far as directing and overall package goes, I would still put him a rung below some one like Darren Aronofsky or Paul Thomas Anderson in this generation.

Ha ha, he turns 42 next week and has already knocked out the Batman trilogy, Inception, The Presitige and Memento, and you lot are saying that it's ok because he's still got time on his side to do something really good.

FMD you're hard markers!
    Last edited by The Sean; 24-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Sensational. Simple as that.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    2nd greatest after Kubrick.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Ha ha, he turns 42 next week and has already knocked out the Batman trilogy, Inception, The Presitige and Memento, and you lot are saying that it's ok because he's still got time on his side to do something really good.

FMD you're hard markers!
    Lookit, it's just one ****'s opinion and I'm certainly not going to claim to be a film genius but I will say that I'm a film re-watcher for the most part but I look at Nolan like a magician who builds the audience toward an amazing and spectacular reveal but behind the magnificently redendered curtain isn't that much and, once you've seen it, you've seen it. Put another way, I've got no desire to see Memento, The Prestige or Inception again and I enjoyed them. People bang on about the complexity of the films but, well, they really weren't. They were elaborate, yes, but complex, no way.

Neat ideas but the real compexity in film, for me, comes from the people and emotions in them and Nolan's characters are generally pretty simplistic and the films are far too self-serious to be good popcorn action films. All in all, I get the feeling the best thing for Nolan before he starts his next project is to find someone to give him a decent blowjob. Needless to say, I'm sure he's taking notes from atop his giant pile of money, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post

FMD you're hard markers!
    No one is saying he is not great, but his films don't make me feel emotionally drained. May be for you it is not the case as I am speaking from my perspective only. But majority of the critical opinion is similar to what top_cat posted.

Yeah agree with what TC said, although, I think the Batman series and Inception etc. are actually very good popcorn films - the entertainment value isn't really what's in question for me.

I think the point stands at least to a certain extent with Inception but think Bantman has heart, Alfred being such an important character in this regard.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Watched The Rum Diary. Very good actually, not quite what I was expecting.

Thread Information