Page 604 of 678 FirstFirst ... 104504554594602603604605606614654 ... LastLast
Results 9,046 to 9,060 of 10170
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: The Official Movie Discussion Thread

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Just watched Super 8. Turns out it's super crap. Really needn't have been as bad as it was. Hate the way Spielberg has to over-sentimentalize everything. It's like a combination of ET, Spy Kids and The Wonder Years, only far worse than any of the constituent parts. Avoid.
    Super 8 is not directed by Spielberg. It is directed by a man called J J Abrams who also made Star Trek and MI 3.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I'm aware, but Spielberg's fingerprints were all over it. Granted that this was the intention, but still.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Super 8 was good enough to keep me entertained for the duration.

Can't wait to see Kate Beckensale in that outfit you mentioned Fusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

I'm aware, but Spielberg's fingerprints were all over it. Granted that this was the intention, but still.
    Abrams even stated he was inspired by Spielber's early films and didn't shy away from giving the impression that Super 8 was a homage to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Super 8 was good enough to keep me entertained for the duration.

Can't wait to see Kate Beckensale in that outfit you mentioned Fusion.
    I'm telling you, worth it.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Abrams even stated he was inspired by Spielber's early films and didn't shy away from giving the impression that Super 8 was a homage to him.
    Yeah, that's fair enough, and I don't really have any problem with it per se, but I don't this is a reason for saying it's good.

Yeah, that's fair enough, and I don't really have any problem with it per se, but I don't this is a reason for saying it's good.
    Oh sure. I wasn't stating it was, I was just pointing out for BW's sake that Abrams was definitely paying homage to Spielberg.

cpr
    Johnny English Reborn was also viewed this evening. Not as amusing as I had hoped, sadly.

If you'd watched the first, you'd have been silly to hope for anything above slight mirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post

Talking of Spielberg anyone seen War Horse yet? Not sure I can really be bothered, finally seeing The Artist on Tuesday though.
    Have seen it described by blokes forced to see it as Black Beauty goes to war. Basically only sappy, gullible women who've said anything good about it, and thats never beyond 'awww, so cute, so sad, awww, horsies'

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Might go and see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy tonight. Finally!
    Took me a while to warm to it, didn't straight away click with the characters, a by product of loving the Guinness version. Wasn't overly impressed with Oldman in it, think John Hurt would've been better as Smiley. Only ones I feel did a sterling job are Cumberbatch as Guillam and Toby Jones as Percy.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Toby Jones is just great, think all the performances are excellent but his may be the best of the lot, still need to read the book.

Not too sure how I feel about TTSS. It was a good watch with great acting, but it's got nothing on the book.

Pretty much agree with cpr (as always).

I really enjoyed it, Oldman was immense in it.

I ended up getting dragged to watch The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by the girlfriend, never got round to watching the original series of films but this had me glued from start to finish,well worth going to, very dialogue driven movie with a brilliant cast and the muisIcal score was brilliant. Friends say, for a change this version improved on the Swedish original, which I'm going to have to get round to watch soon.

Watched Dead Mans Shoes again last night, haven't seen it for a few years, what a ****ing film, highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
    Last edited by Jacknife; 23-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Paddy Considine Is close to a deity. still need to see Tyrannosaur, have only heard good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Paddy Considine Is close to a deity. still need to see Tyrannosaur, have only heard good things.
    Another very good film to watch him in is A Room for Romeo Brass, typical Considine performance in it, brilliant.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Oh sure. I wasn't stating it was, I was just pointing out for BW's sake that Abrams was definitely paying homage to Spielberg.
    I am well aware of that.. I was responding to Sledger's comment that Spielberg over sentimentalizes everything. My points was, this time its Abrams not Spielberg, even if he is paying homage to said director.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    I really enjoyed it, Oldman was immense in it.

The problem is, when you've seen Alec Guinness do it, Oldmans got no chance....

I felt Oldman was too angsty, too driven, too forceful for Smiley.... His character's greatest strength was his silence, and his ability to draw your knowledge out of you, mainly through empathy and getting you to open up. His greatest moments were when he was just sat, thinking. Hence why the Karla meeting is such a key moment, the one time he shows weakness and opens himself to his only equal.

Certainly don't see the Oscar nomination in the performance. Guess its been a quiet year.

Cant remember if i said it, but watched The Guard the other night... Guess a sweary racist isn't the right character for an Oscar nod, but by god Gleeson was good. Also Mark Strong is guaranteed to appear in every British film nowadays, it seems. Not a bad thing mind.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Mark Strong is a great actor and I always enjoy his work.

One British actor whom I haven't seen in a recent film is Jeremy Northam, and he looks a lot like Mark Nicholas.

Thread Information