Page 6 of 676 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Napola on SBS. It was really good - a story about young guys sent to Hitler's Youth Schools, what they had to do, and the effect it had on them. Some pretty harrowing scenes, but a great movie.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Saw Borat at the weekend - extremely offensive but very funny.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Saw The Departed. A couple of flaws that stop it being a masterpiece, but very very good IMO. 8 out of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

two great horror films based on Stephen King novels:
    The Shinning
    Carrie

also:
    Kill Bill 1 and 2. Somewhat critisized films and admitadly not as good as Tarintino's greatest work but i think they look great and very entertaining

Watched A History Of Violence and Two For The Money yesterday, 2 films I'd been meaning to see in the cinemas but was too lazy to go.

I'm not sure if I liked A History Of Violence, and its not often after a film I sit there going "Did I like that?" I found it very intriguing, and Viggo Mortensen was brilliant. Maria Bello was excellent as well, she seems to be the queen of sex scenes in Hollywood movies. The Cooler and now this flick.

What I didn't like was the scene where Mortensen goes to his brother's near the end. I won't spoil, but I just felt it was unncessary, and sort of soured the film. But then the final scene is really smartly shot and written, so maybe that makes up for it. Not sure.

I'll give it 7.5/10

I loved Two For The Money, it was a very entertaining film. Its not perfect, nor is it an Earth shattering film which will blow your mind, but its a genuinely entertaining flick, and I liked the idea behind it (especially since I'm a gambling buff), and I felt the film was fairly well written. From the previews I thought it was going to be similar to The Devil's Own (without all the Satan stuff) with Pacino being the evil rich guy sucking in an innocent but talented southern guy into the big bucks, but making them sell their soul (except this time it'd be gambling instead of being a lawyer). I was pleasantly surprised to see it was very different, with Pacino's character being totally different, basically a nice but troubled guy.

Speaking of Pacino, he did an excellent job as usual. You got the feeling that he was rich and successful, but could lose it all any second because of how unstable he was. Russo has finally started to age, but she's still excellent. Matthew McConaughey is a little underrated for mine, but then again when you only see him popping up in films like The Wedding Planner, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Failure To Launch its hard to rate him as a serious actor, but I reckon he was great in EdTV and this film was probably his best performance. Also watch for Jeremy Piven, he's pure gold in this movie. He always is to be fair, but this role was made for him, even if it is only minor.

Overall, great flick about the ups and downs of gambling, and the moral challenges of being involved in the business. Americanised since its based around NFL gambling, so that may put some people off, but other than that I recommend it for a good watch.

8/10
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Insomnia.

Seen both versions and the fact i like Al Pacino means they just about even up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Out of the Blue and Jackass 2.

Both quality films, but for entirely different reasons.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Howls moving castle.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Just saw the entire Infernal Affairs Trilogy. Infernal Affairs 1 and 3 were absolutely superb. Asian and Hong Kong Cinema at it's best.

I don't think The Departed will be nearly as good now

My ratings:

Infernal Affairs 1 - 9.5/10
    Infernal Affairs 2 - 8/10
    Infernal Affairs 3 - 9/10

Loved Infernal Affairs, loved it!
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    Saw Borat last weekend, loads of laughs, a couple of cringe moments but otherwise a fantastic movie. Looking to see 007 this weekend.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    Out of the Blue and Jackass 2.

Both quality films, but for entirely different reasons.
    I saw Out of the Blue a while ago myself. Excellent film, really well done. But probably not the best choice for the "yay lectures are over for the year" celebration movie. Bit of a downer.

Saw Jackass 2 today...wow
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Saw the ad for the new James Bond flick. Pretty excited. The last one was dire, but besides that I've seen every one about many, many times since I was a little kid. I hope it goes back to the darkness of The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill, Her Majesty's Secret Service. Even the last one started off so well, but once the opening credits finished, the movies went down hill so fast. I nearly cried when Madonna appeared. Anyways this one looks so much better, I can't wait.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    Howls moving castle.

Love that movie.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Saw the ad for the new James Bond flick. Pretty excited. The last one was dire, but besides that I've seen every one about many, many times since I was a little kid. I hope it goes back to the darkness of The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill, Her Majesty's Secret Service. Even the last one started off so well, but once the opening credits finished, the movies went down hill so fast. I nearly cried when Madonna appeared. Anyways this one looks so much better, I can't wait.
    Agreed. Too much Haile Berry in the last one, she was dire. It seems to be a trend amongst Bonds who do more than 2 films that the movies get sillier and sillier, til the cast a new guy and bring it back to something watchable. Preview looked great - what's the Oz release date?

Page 6 of 676 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread Information