Page 501 of 676 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 10127
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sirdj View Post
    The dialogue delivery was in his later film as he had become a persona that had to be duplicated in all his new movies. Its like how Al Pacino has never been allowed to play a different shade ever since Scent of a Woman.

And one does not have to be a Jim Carey to convey a feeling. By your expressiveness standards Gary Cooper is a bad actor too.
    so there is nothing between a jim carrey and a raaj kumar then?...and jim carrey actually did pretty decently in the truman show and eternal sunshine of a spotless mind...also why bring gary cooper into a discussion on raaj kumar?...raaj kumar was that way because he had a severely limited repertoire(also the fans bought his "style" hook, line and sinker, why bother getting exposed attempting more?), not because he was experimenting with the subtelities of expression and dialogue...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

You missed Shakti in that list.
    you missed the etc in that post...

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    so there is nothing between a jim carrey and a raaj kumar then?
    Yes there is but being in between is no guarantee of acting caliber either. For example Shahrukh Khan could be considered as between and widely successful. However he mostly hams.

jim carrey actually did pretty decently in the truman show and eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
    Truman Show = meh movie, acting so/so

In Eternal Sunshine, Winslet outshines him completely.

IMO overall Jim Carey is OK but no great shakes.

also why bring gary cooper into a discussion on raaj kumar?
    Because nowadays some people see his movies and have said the same stuff as you did about Raaj Kumar(wooden). However 5 Academy nominations and 2 awards are difficult to argue against.
    Cooper restrained style was popular in those days, Raaj Kumar employed a similar style. It was supposed to convey intensity and masculinity. The expressiveness and melodrama was left to the women.

raaj kumar was that way because he had a severely limited repertoire(also the fans bought his "style" hook, line and sinker, why bother getting exposed attempting more?), not because he was experimenting with the subtelities of expression and dialogue...
    And Shahrukh hams....but it brings in the bucks so why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    you missed the etc in that post...
    A movie in which Amitabh matches the great Dilip Kumar scene for scene cannot be an etc.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Truman Show's a gun movie itbt, love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Particularly love the scene where the wife is trying the hawk the Cocoa drink. I always use it in forum arguments when someone is typing utter crap thinking he's fooling anybody.

Truman Show Cocoa on Vimeo
    Last edited by Ikki; 19-05-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    ★★★★★

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Kick Ass lived up to its name.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Jim Carrey is a good actor just tends to make a film in highly poor taste every now and then. He was great in Man on the Moon, The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine. Out of his poor taste movies I liked him in Ace Ventura and the first half of The Cable Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    In my top 5.

Jim Carrey is a good actor just tends to make a film in highly poor taste every now and then. He was great in Man on the Moon, The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine. Out of his poor taste movies I liked him in Ace Ventura and the first half of The Cable Guy.
    The Mask is a guilty pleasure of mine.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Yep..loved him in those films..but he was also great in Liar Liar..good movie.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Saw 500 Days of Summer..was avoiding it thinking it was a typical chick flick..how wrong was I..awesome stuff..such a delightful, entertaining film.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Yep..loved him in those films..but he was also great in Liar Liar..good movie.
    Yeah shouldn't have omitted Liar Liar or The Mask. Also think he does some impressive physical comedy in Me, Myself and Irene. Not a great movie but I enjoy his performance.

Saw 500 Days of Summer..was avoiding it thinking it was a typical chick flick..how wrong was I..awesome stuff..such a delightful, entertaining film.
    Yeah very well made film and should see the lead become quite a star.

Yeah shouldn't have omitted Liar Liar or The Mask. Also think he does some impressive physical comedy in Me, Myself and Irene. Not a great movie but I enjoy his performance.
    I couldn't look at a soft serve ice cream in the face for a whole year
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Yes there is but being in between is no guarantee of acting caliber either. For example Shahrukh Khan could be considered as between and widely successful. However he mostly hams.
    sure...did i say shahrukh was a great actor? however naseeruddin shah is, om puri is, sanjeev kumar was, shabana azmi is, smita patil was, mohanlal used to be, so did kamal haasan....etc etc...

Truman Show = meh movie, acting so/so

In Eternal Sunshine, Winslet outshines him completely.

IMO overall Jim Carey is OK but no great shakes.
    i liked both movies and i thought carrey was good in both of them...did i say at any point that he was great? you need to stop looking for the non-existent hyperbole...

Because nowadays some people see his movies and have said the same stuff as you did about Raaj Kumar(wooden). However 5 Academy nominations and 2 awards are difficult to argue against.
    Cooper restrained style was popular in those days, Raaj Kumar employed a similar style. It was supposed to convey intensity and masculinity. The expressiveness and melodrama was left to the women.
    in my opinion the acting was not very natural in those days and compared to some of the modern greats, i would consider gary cooper's efforts as pretty average, two academy awards notwithstanding...but i still maintain comparing him to raaj kumar is ridiculous...far from conveying intensity or masculinity, all he did was convey a sad lack of histrionic abilities...dilip kumar(who i would also consider one step below some of the later greats of indian cinema) and sanjeev kumar proved that good actors can show their range and versatility even in those times...

And Shahrukh hams....but it brings in the bucks so why bother.
    precisely...not sure where you got the idea that i was talking up shahrukh khan...
    Last edited by Anil; 19-05-2010 at 04:26 PM.

A movie in which Amitabh matches the great Dilip Kumar scene for scene cannot be an etc.
    sure it can....

Thread Information