Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the worst movie decade in motion picture history?

Is this the worst movie decade in motion picture history?

After watching the Godfather trilogy and the Shawshank Redemption along with Harrison Ford's thrillers from the mid 90's the past few weeks, it got me thinking. Have we had any true movie classics the past six years? No in my book, what we seem to be getting more and more of is these crappy comedies and romantic dramas along with big budget films like Mission Impossible and Lord of the Rings which lack quality.

Is this down to the quality of actors these days? The likes of Al Pacino, Harrison Ford, Robert De Niro, etc are all getting old and there doesn't appear to be any good young actors coming through.

Thoughts?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    After watching the Godfather trilogy and the Shawshank Redemption along with Harrison Ford's thrillers from the mid 90's the past few weeks, it got me thinking. Have we had any true movie classics the past six years? No in my book, what we seem to be getting more and more of is these crappy comedies and romantic dramas along with big budget films like Mission Impossible and Lord of the Rings which lack quality.

Is this down to the quality of actors these days? The likes of Al Pacino, Harrison Ford, Robert De Niro, etc are all getting old and there doesn't appear to be any good young actors coming through.

Thoughts?
    Lord of War, Munich, Wicker Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    tbh i dont like any of those movies you suggested
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Totally agree. The last few years I've hardly been to the movies at all, instead just trawling through a lot of 'classics' that I'd never got around to seeing before - and with that, appreciating an era that I missed out on.

The likes of De Niro, Ford and Hanks will still be good even as they get older, but they all fit the same sort of bill and will probably continue to play similar roles.

But surely Snakes on a Plane was an instant classic.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash chaulk
    tbh i dont like any of those movies you suggested
    Lord of War was very good. Munich was better. Wicker Park is one of the best films i've ever seen.

Thoughts?
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    Lord of War was very good. Munich was better. Wicker Park is one of the best films i've ever seen.
    yeah i guess im into the bang bang bang get ya **** out kinda movie

Boredmeeting Champion!
    American Pscyho - 2000
    Equilibrium - 2002

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    This decade has Snakes On A Plane. Surely that's enough?

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars

Thoughts?
    What..LOTR triology was great

To be honest, I hardly see any movies anymore since nothing really draws my short attention span
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Captain
    My words James .. I guess the only person who shares atleast the movie thing with me !!!

90's was almost the best decade TBH ....
    Incognito
    Truth and consequences
    Thelma and Louise
    War of the buttons
    Tom Hank's master pices were absolute classics

Remember Butcher's boy btw
    Too much reliability upon sci fi and science fiction and useage of stupid wires for action , i.e. absolute junk ..
    Only Dark water and one or two others were good in my honest opinion .........
    Last edited by FRAZ; 07-09-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

International Captain
    btw "Scent of a woman" and "Devil's advocate" were also master pieces of the 90's ....

Perhaps it's just me with LOTR.

I enjoyed The Two Towers but found the first one and third one dead boring mainly due to the acting, and the fact they what were three hour movies could have been cut down to two hours fairly easily I thought which would have made them more watchable.

For example, the ending of Return of the King just seemed to go on and on and on and on some more....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Obviously haven't seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Wonderful movie.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

LOTR : Return Of The King just seemed like a road trip movie to me. And far too much inter-hobbit man-love for my liking.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information