Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the government do anything about petrol prices?

Should the government do anything about petrol prices?

Petrol prices are at a record high. The average Australian car needs at least 80 bucks a tank. The bigger 4WD are much more. It is getting way out of hand and there is no relief in sight. They will never, ever come back down.

Coupled with the rise in interest rates this past week in Australia, this is really hurting many. The discount dockets do not help, becuase Coles and Safeway/Woolworths are putting up prices to cover the discount. But it doesn't stop there, since petrol is used in nearly every production process and especially in transportation the prices of most other things are rising as well leading to a high level of cost inflation. Its pretty bleak.

So should the government step in and subsidise petrol, or charge less tax on it? And would this even help? I remember an economics teacher telling me that to wipe one cent off petrol prices will cost the government millions if not billions of dollars.

Another factor is the environmental factor. Quite honestly, there is too much driving going on and we don't want the world to be covered in smog. Cars have become so cheap that there are on average 3 per family IRC. The air is getting worse and worse. I have recently been to Hong Kong and New Zealand and I know which one I would rather live in.

So its my opinion that the government should subsidise programs for Prius like cars, that dont need petrol and protect the environment at the same time. Seems like the best solution to me.

Thoughts?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    they cant really do much tbh...
    im just trying to drive less where possible...

PY
    $80 a tank is how much a litre?

50 litres here will cost you £50 and that >$100.

I don't mind paying tax on fuel, what I don't particularly like is British Petroleum announcing their profits for the last quarter to be six billion quid. They were earning about 300k per minute supposedly.

It seems oil companies are taking the mickey a little but I'm not going to complain about the tax here because as you say, the environment needs looking after which taxation helps and also the money they make from it is used to provide public services/start wars in far off places.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    costs about £40 to fill up the tank on my car, 1.6 engine, but i rarely fill it up that much, usually can last a week on half a tank depending on how many days per week i use it. Sainsbury's are a good place to go for fuel, theyre prices are usually around 92p-96p per litre which is the best i have seen anywhere around the south, still pretty pricy though.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    how much do people in the UK have to drive though?
    for a lot of people in Australia id imagine it would generally be a fair bit more. A job i had last year i would usually have to drive 90km's a day to get to work and back... so id have to fill up every week.

I have considered buying shares into oil companies now it could be a good move...

I have always liked the idea or usage of Ethanol, if it is cheaper and more efficant then why not?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    they cant really do much tbh...
    im just trying to drive less where possible...
    Same here, if its walking distance Ill walk it as opposed to a couple of years ago.

Nothing's walking distance for me. Either the unreliable bus system or comfortable car, which would you choose?

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I have considered buying shares into oil companies now it could be a good move...

I have always liked the idea or usage of Ethanol, if it is cheaper and more efficant then why not?
    You just want to be able to have some alcohol always on hand don't you?

I know people who drive quite a long way to work every day. My boss drives 25km to work every day but I guess he is an exception rather than norm.

I will say though that quite a lot of miles are put in even though we're a small island. I did 1400km in 3 days the week before last!

i generally do about 200+ miles a week, which is about £20 a week to keep going basically, petrol prices seem to work out at about £1 per 10 miles, which isnt particularly cheap..but not unaffordable.

Quote Originally Posted by PY
    You just want to be able to have some alcohol always on hand don't you?

Me never?

Iíve been banned from driving so I donít give a **** but paying £1.50 (3 quid return) for a bus ticket to go literally 2 miles is ludicrous. **** Livingston wants people to use public transport but he needs to make it more affordable and rewarding. I have no qualms about paying such an amount if the bus was not full of inbreed kids (who go free for **** sake) and other low lives that frequent London transport.

banned lol? please elaborate.

Wouldn't a day pass or a concession card be better then if possible?

Although is it a credit thing like the Oyster card thing people use on the tube?

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Iíve been banned from driving so I donít give a **** but paying £1.50 (3 quid return) for a bus ticket to go literally 2 miles is ludicrous. **** Livingston wants people to use public transport but he needs to make it more affordable and rewarding. I have no qualms about paying such an amount if the bus was not full of inbreed kids (who go free for **** sake) and other low lives that frequent London transport.
    Walk it you lazy sod!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information