Thread: What the?

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar

What the?

There is a section of a programme called Rove: Live that is called 'what the?' basically people send in very weird, strange, funny things found on signs, magazines, the internet, newspaper adds or anything like that. I think it would be good if we could show or say some 'What the?' moments that we have seen or heard.

Example: Japanese signs that sound funny or weird

Heres some from the last Rove: Live

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    I thought as much...
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

I found this all interesting:

The name Coca-Cola in China was first rendered as Ke-kou-ke-la. Unfortunately, the Coke company did not discover until after thousands of signs had been printed that the phrase means "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" depending on the dialect. Coke then researched 40,000 Chinese characters and found a close phonetic equivalent, ko-kou-ko-le, which can be loosely translated as "happiness in the mouth".

When translated into Chinese, the Kentucky Fried Chicken slogan "finger-lickin' good" came out as "eat your fingers off".

In Italy, a campaign for Schweppes Tonic Water translated the name into Schweppes Toilet Water

In a Japanese hotel room: Please to bathe inside the tub

Diversion sign in Kyushi, Japan: Stop - Drive Sideways

When General Motors introduced the Chevy Nova in South America, it was apparently unaware that "no va" means "it won't go". After the company figured out why it wasn't selling any cars, it renamed the car in its Spanish markets to the Caribe.

Thailand: an ad for donkey rides asked "Would you like to ride on your own ***?".

Yugoslavia: in the Europa Hotel, in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, you will find this message on every door: "Guests should announce the abandonment of theirs rooms before 12 o'clock, emptying the room at the latest until 14 o'clock, for the use of the room before 5 at the arrival or after the 16 o'clock at the departure, will be billed as one night more.".

http://www.ojohaven.com/fun/translation.funnies.html

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Natman20
    I found this all interesting:

The name Coca-Cola in China was first rendered as Ke-kou-ke-la. Unfortunately, the Coke company did not discover until after thousands of signs had been printed that the phrase means "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" depending on the dialect. Coke then researched 40,000 Chinese characters and found a close phonetic equivalent, ko-kou-ko-le, which can be loosely translated as "happiness in the mouth".
    Oh how the internet lies. It is currently 'Ke-kou-ke-la,' although that does mean something along the lines of happiness in the mouth. If it did mean that (don't know the words for tadpole or wax), then I daresay they just changed it to a different version of the three words.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah I doubt that's true, basically if you change the tones in any Mandarin phrase you can make it sound stupid.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Just to clear up any misunderstandings, I dont often peruse the Coffs Harbour Advocate.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Just to clear up any misunderstandings, I dont often peruse the Coffs Harbour Advocate.
    As an ex-Coffs Harbite I can say that paper was always dodgily funny, but not poor enough for Rove...
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Like, seriously.... What The?

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    This currently resides outside Mount Beauty Primary School in Victoria...

President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

I seen a sign when on the Gold Coast for my honeymoon...

It was stuck to a Street Light, and said...

BLIND PEOPLE CROSS HERE!!!

I have a photo of it somewhere ill try and find it...

Worst TV show ever.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Thread Information