Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Help Me Name That Movie" Thread

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar

The "Help Me Name That Movie" Thread

We've all had moments when we've been talking about a film or TV show when we go "oh yeah, it's awesome, and this happened and that happened and so on", and then your mate asks you "so what is it called?", and you go "Umm....."

So anyway, I've started this thread in the hope that you guys can help me out, and feel free to jump in with your own posers.

The first movie I'm wondering about, I'm pretty sure is an Australian one. It's about these two guys who open a movie theatre (in Melbourne I think) and discover on the grand opening night that the film has been dubbed in a foreign language. So, they turn the sound off, and spend the whole time up in the projection booth making up the dialogue and creating their own special effects. It ends with them getting a standing ovation and with a completely trashed projection booth.

The other one might be a Schwarzenegger movie. There's a chase where the bad guy is on a motorbike and the good guy is on a horse - the chase ends up on the roof of a skyscraper where the motorbike guy rides it over the edge and lands in a swimming pool.

Any ideas???
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Hmm. I've seen both of them, I think. No idea at all what the first one might be called, though. The second one rings a bell and I'm sure I've seen it. It might be Eraser?

edit: haha, no, it's True Lies. I thought of that one at first, but it didn't seem to fit, but after checking on IMDB it's definately True Lies that has the horse/bike chase scene. Classic Arnie.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 14-06-2006 at 03:49 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Hercules Returns?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    it's True Lies. I thought of that one at first, but it didn't seem to fit, but after checking on IMDB it's definately True Lies that has the horse/bike chase scene. Classic Arnie.
    That'll be it. I was thinking that last night but I couldn't for the life of me fit it into the plot I had in my head. Weird, I must have seen that movie 10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    Hercules Returns?
    Good call, I'm pretty sure that's the one.

My primary school drama teacher was in that film.

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    Hercules Returns?
    Yes! That's the one.

Anybody else need help identifying anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mundane Yogi

Anybody else need help identifying anything?
    Yes I do, for years I have been wondering what this film was called.

It is a martial arts film (70s, or 80s not too sure but it is not recent).

Narrative and some scenes from the movie
    The protagonist has a monkey
    The monkey steals bikini’s of some girls around a swimming pool, cue semi naked girls running around and shots of bouncing ****.
    The girls scream and a big black guy comes out of the swimming pool, shouting to are hero, “come down Monkey” (it is also badly dubbed), his on some table.
    The black guy later teams up with are hero but then gets killed by evil uncle's henchmen.
    There is a blind girl, very good at Kung-Fu, her uncle is a evil *******, can not remember if he kills her but he ****s her up in one scene. Also the girl plays the piano.
    Final scene happens on a cliff.

If anyone gets it I will be astounded and very indebted.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 15-06-2006 at 03:53 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Here is one for me

I watched this when I was a kid, so none of you would have been born

But maybe a film buff?

A young girl has a small pet bird that can not fly, and she carries it around during the film.

At the end the girl has a lot of friends at her house and the bird is on the ground, one of the kids tries to make the bird fly, and soon all of the kids form a circle around the bird (including the girl he owns the bird) and they throw little rocks at the bird to try and make it fly.

They say thinks like 'this dumb bird won't fly' and are all laughing, but pretty soon the little bird dies.

I think it was an American movie and may well have been in black and white, but because I watched it on a b/w tele it may have been in colour.

Aust did not have colour TV until 1974 (I think).
    You know it makes sense.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Here is one for me

I watched this when I was a kid, so none of you would have been born

But maybe a film buff?

A young girl has a small pet bird that can not fly, and she carries it around during the film.

At the end the girl has a lot of friends at her house and the bird is on the ground, one of the kids tries to make the bird fly, and soon all of the kids form a circle around the bird (including the girl he owns the bird) and they throw little rocks at the bird to try and make it fly.

They say thinks like 'this dumb bird won't fly' and are all laughing, but pretty soon the little bird dies.

I think it was an American movie and may well have been in black and white, but because I watched it on a b/w tele it may have been in colour.

Aust did not have colour TV until 1974 (I think).
    Was it 'CSI: Warner Bros - A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two Stones In The Bush'!?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    Was it 'CSI: Warner Bros - A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two Stones In The Bush'!?

(another post for me)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I've got one. There's an old movie, from the fifties, where Marilyn Monroe is billed as a star. Do you guys remember it? I'm looking at you, Shounak.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    I've got one. There's an old movie, from the fifties, where Marilyn Monroe is billed as a star. Do you guys remember it? I'm looking at you, Shounak.
    Hahaha.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Yes I do, for years I have been wondering what this film was called.

It is a martial arts film (70s, or 80s not too sure but it is not recent).

Narrative and some scenes from the movie
    The protagonist has a monkey
    The monkey steals bikini’s of some girls around a swimming pool, cue semi naked girls running around and shots of bouncing ****.
    The girls scream and a big black guy comes out of the swimming pool, shouting to are hero, “come down Monkey” (it is also badly dubbed), his on some table.
    The black guy later teams up with are hero but then gets killed by evil uncle's henchmen.
    There is a blind girl, very good at Kung-Fu, her uncle is a evil *******, can not remember if he kills her but he ****s her up in one scene. Also the girl plays the piano.
    Final scene happens on a cliff.

If anyone gets it I will be astounded and very indebted.
    Monkey Magic?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I have two...

One is a Bruce Lee film and he has to fight what i think was an American martial arts guy in what looked like a colleseum but no idea what that's called.

and talking about birds and films made me think of this one where this boy had a big bird cage set up in his room and he basically wants to be a bird and sleeps in the cage and then for some reason his favourite bird flies out the window which then shuts, the bird turns around and tries to fly back in but basically goes splat against the window and it becomes all emotional...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

The Bruce Lee film in question is The Way Of The Dragon, and the American martial arts guy he fights is Chuck Norris. They have the final fight of the film in the Coliseum in Rome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information