Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Italian Football Scandal

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64
    Well certainly might not be again. Holland? Germany? Not enough quality so it's probablt the "Big Two" now.
    Holland, France, Germany all have their big clubs, but the gap between those at the top and those at the bottom is much bigger. Although Chelsea and Sunderland....
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

The premiership is definetly the 2nd best league in Europe. Spain this season has clearly proved itselt to be better.

Itallian football has been in delcine for a number of years but this is going to make their problems even worse

Spanish football would be better if they didn't have idiotic refs (some of them I have seen are horrible), and given I got to see a fair bit of La Liga in the season just gone, I believe I saw plenty. That and the constant diving.

Of course this match-fixing scandal in Italy is hardly new - Genoa won promotion from Serie B in 04/05 but were found gulity fixing their last game because they thought their opponents were going to do the same thing so they felt they would do it just in case - except they got caught and got dropped down to last spot and therefore relegated to Serie C1A but had to start on -3 points. And then there was the case in 03/04 involving some of the Tuscan sides (like Siena and I believe Empoli) but I can't remember some of the finer details now.

As for Juventus well if they are found gulity does this mean that Luis Figo is owed an apology and his fine refunded for having the book thrown at him since giving an outburst about the refs and how much they helped Juventus (and in plenty of games this season)? In fact I believe this is how Roma - Juventus rivalary started many years ago so it has been no secret in that Juventus have had some more helpfull decisions go their way. Something Marc used to go on about about Man U and getting penalties and/or free kicks.

There has been some talk that Inter could get the title if Juve and Milan are found to be involved, but being an Inter fan I feel as though it wouldn't be as deserved, but more on default for two teams ahead on the table who decided to take part in illegal practices. Not surprisingly Inter captain Javier Zanetti was quoted in a press conference on the Inter website that the title would be deserved. I don't know, but I wouldn't mind having the title from a few seasons ago when they blew it on the last day, partly when they thought they had it won and when Ronaldo was denied a blatant penalty.

If Juventus are relegated, it would seem Real Madrid would be the biggest winners by getting the bargin buys of a lifetime (but why they would want Buffon when they have Iker Casillas I don't know, who I rate as the 2nd best in the world) and Fabio Capello to return as manager.

Although if Juve, Milan, Fiorentina, and Lazio are relegated/barred from Europe, it would look farcial to have potential representations of Chievo and Palermo as well as Inter and Roma who would get in automatically.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    i'm surprised that roma haven't implicated yet. surely only a matter of time
    "Matt Damon"

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Chievo and Pakermo are no sillier than seeing somone like Blackburn or Bolton in Europe.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    La Liga is highly entertaining, but if Forlan can bag so many goals the defenders can't be up to much. Serie A used to send me to sleep in its pomp never mind now, aside from the odd "Gazza Watch" match. Hardly see any Dutch/French/German football so cannot comment.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    If Juventus are relegated, it would seem Real Madrid would be the biggest winners by getting the bargin buys of a lifetime (but why they would want Buffon when they have Iker Casillas I don't know, who I rate as the 2nd best in the world) and Fabio Capello to return as manager.
    That was among the first things that crossed my mind when I first heard of the scandal.

From Wikipedia, Juve Squad:
    As of May 18th, 2006

No. Position Player
    1 GK Gianluigi Buffon
    2 DF Alessandro Birindelli
    3 DF Giorgio Chiellini
    4 MF Patrick Vieira
    6 DF Robert Kovač
    7 DF Gianluca Pessotto
    8 MF Emerson
    9 FW Zlatan Ibrahimović
    10 FW Alessandro Del Piero (captain)
    11 MF Pavel Nedvěd
    14 DF Federico Balzaretti
    16 MF Mauro Camoranesi
    17 FW David Trézéguet
    18 FW Adrian Mutu
    19 MF Gianluca Zambrotta (vice-captain)
    20 MF Manuele Blasi
    21 DF Lilian Thuram
    22 GK Landry Bonnefoi
    23 MF Giuliano Giannichedda
    24 MF Ruben Olivera
    25 FW Marcelo Zalayeta
    27 DF Jonathan Zebina
    28 DF Fabio Cannavaro
    32 GK Christian Abbiati (on loan from AC Milan)

Of those players, the likes of Buffon, Viera, Kovac, Emerson, Ibrahimovic, del Piero, Naved, Camoronesi, Trezeguet, Thuram, Mutu (perhaps), Zambrotta and Cannavaro are worth a fair bit. Pessotto has retired. We'll end up with a load of these players being flogged for low prices, because the other clubs know that Juve are hardly in a position to ask for a full sum. I assume some of the non-Italian players will end up in Spain, but I assume most of the Italians will want to stay at home.

I feel for the Juve faithful - their club has effectively been ripped away from them. I wonder if they'll bounce straight back up like Fiorentina did a couple of years back.

Although is this not another example of traditional Italian bureaucracy? It seems that small levels of corruption are seen as perfectly normal, but here Juve have pushed the boundaries a little too far.

Jueve have gone much further than we have seen before. I agree that a lot of players are going to be up for grabs but it is worth remembering that quite a few players in Seria A are likely to be dragged into this scandal and it could seriously damage there careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    That was among the first things that crossed my mind when I first heard of the scandal.

From Wikipedia, Juve Squad:
    As of May 18th, 2006

No. Position Player
    1 GK Gianluigi Buffon
    2 DF Alessandro Birindelli
    3 DF Giorgio Chiellini
    4 MF Patrick Vieira
    6 DF Robert Kovač
    7 DF Gianluca Pessotto
    8 MF Emerson
    9 FW Zlatan Ibrahimović
    10 FW Alessandro Del Piero (captain)
    11 MF Pavel Nedvěd
    14 DF Federico Balzaretti
    16 MF Mauro Camoranesi
    17 FW David Trézéguet
    18 FW Adrian Mutu
    19 MF Gianluca Zambrotta (vice-captain)
    20 MF Manuele Blasi
    21 DF Lilian Thuram
    22 GK Landry Bonnefoi
    23 MF Giuliano Giannichedda
    24 MF Ruben Olivera
    25 FW Marcelo Zalayeta
    27 DF Jonathan Zebina
    28 DF Fabio Cannavaro
    32 GK Christian Abbiati (on loan from AC Milan)

Of those players, the likes of Buffon, Viera, Kovac, Emerson, Ibrahimovic, del Piero, Naved, Camoronesi, Trezeguet, Thuram, Mutu (perhaps), Zambrotta and Cannavaro are worth a fair bit. Pessotto has retired. We'll end up with a load of these players being flogged for low prices, because the other clubs know that Juve are hardly in a position to ask for a full sum. I assume some of the non-Italian players will end up in Spain, but I assume most of the Italians will want to stay at home.

I feel for the Juve faithful - their club has effectively been ripped away from them. I wonder if they'll bounce straight back up like Fiorentina did a couple of years back.

Although is this not another example of traditional Italian bureaucracy? It seems that small levels of corruption are seen as perfectly normal, but here Juve have pushed the boundaries a little too far.
    Well Alessandro Del Piero and Fabio Cannavaro (you shouldn't have been disloyal you clown) and along with winger Mario Marchionni and Cristiano Zanetti will join the club on a Bosman on July 1 have all stated on record that they are not going anywhere.

I would imagine Cannavaro will announce his retirement from international football after this World Cup, because otherwise it would be very funny indeed seeing the captain of Italy in Serie B

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Well Alessandro Del Piero and Fabio Cannavaro (you shouldn't have been disloyal you clown) and along with winger Mario Marchionni and Cristiano Zanetti will join the club on a Bosman on July 1 have all stated on record that they are not going anywhere.

I would imagine Cannavaro will announce his retirement from international football after this World Cup, because otherwise it would be very funny indeed seeing the captain of Italy in Serie B
    Fair enough, I didn't think de Piero would go anywhere. Cannavaro's 32 now, will be 33 later in the year - surely he can play for another two or three years somewhere in Serie A?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    La Liga is highly entertaining, but if Forlan can bag so many goals the defenders can't be up to much. Serie A used to send me to sleep in its pomp never mind now, aside from the odd "Gazza Watch" match. Hardly see any Dutch/French/German football so cannot comment.
    I will maintain (and I will continue to do so) that Diego Forlan is a lot better player then what you saw in England, the pace never suited him as it does in Spain, and as well as mainly being a bench player (which ruined his confidence) and therefore not enough game time. Remember his last season in England he had a period of playing about 8 games in a row and playing the full 90 minutes, and what did he do? Score in almost (if not) all of them, shows what he can do when given enough chances.

As for Italy, you and I will have to disagree obviously, except I like the style they play and it is in fact entertaining, would rather watch that then see long-ball Bolton take on the hackers of Blackburn or take on some rubbish side like Fulham or Birmingham.

As for Holland, I have always liked the league, even if the standard is high as in Italy, Spain or England, just have thought of it as entertaining. Always liked watching PSV play. (and Ajax too)

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    Fair enough, I didn't think de Piero would go anywhere. Cannavaro's 32 now, will be 33 later in the year - surely he can play for another two or three years somewhere in Serie A?
    I believe Napoli have been promoted, so I could see him going back there where it all began. He can take his over-rated loser brother with him.

cpr
    hmmm, if it all goes to pot at Juve, we'll happily take Ibrahimovich, Nedved and Zambrotta.

It'd also stop Ruud being sold to AC Milan, thats for sure
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Chievo and Pakermo are no sillier than seeing somone like Blackburn or Bolton in Europe.
    Excuse me?? Palermo are actually a class side, tell me the likes of Barzagli, Grosso, Bonnani and co. aren't quality players.

This is pretty shocking, quite sad too. A week or two ago I read an article on it, it's embarrassing and terrible for Italy, but I highly doubt it's an isolated incident (albeit to varying degrees). I'd like to see Juve relegated to be honest, it happened with Milan a decade or two ago. It would jumble things a little but they need to have some sort of deterrent, especially when you consider that other clubs are also implicated. IMO - Imbrahimovic -> Fulham would be a good move.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I was disagreeing with Craig by making a comment like that.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information