Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enron Bosses Get Theirs

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

Enron Bosses Get Theirs

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...2/daily39.html

An opinion piece;

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=86785

Three cheers for corporate responsibility. Shame so very many people had to be affected before it came to this. A bigger shame is that the nect corporate giant(s) to be knocked off will probably ALSO affect thousand of people before they're caught.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Shows how strict they are by the possible sentances - I could go bomb the Sydney Opera House and still not get as many years as what Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling face behind bars (does it actually prove anything by giving them up to 120 and 185 years respectively when we know they won't live that long?).

Quote Originally Posted by bizjournals
    A Houston jury Thursday found former Enron Chairman Kenneth Lay guilty on all six counts of fraud and conspiracy and he faces up to 45 years in prison. Lay also faces a total of 120 years stemming from a separate personal banking trial. Former CEO Jeffrey Skilling was found guilty on 19 of his 28 charges as he faces up to 185 years in prison. Sentencing will take place on Sept. 11.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

I'm not sure I agree with sentences that large. Yes, they did a lot of harm but relative to sentences for more heinous crimes, it seems excessive..

T_C, as a copper you would know how many criminals get slaps on the wrist.. A few years jail for rape, murder (Mick Gatto, nothing) and what not. We hear of people getting off with nothing every day..

And to punish corporate criminals with (what I understood as) life imprisonments is nuts.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    youve gotta love US scentencing, more then 2 complete lifetimes. Took them a long time to get this far too. At least its been done.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shounak
    And to punish corporate criminals with (what I understood as) life imprisonments is nuts.
    The crimes may not be violent but they have an effect on many many lives, though i certainly agree the punushment should not be as harsh (at leats in terms of imprisonment) as voilent crimes like Murder, rape etc.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I'm not sure I agree with sentences that large. Yes, they did a lot of harm but relative to sentences for more heinous crimes, it seems excessive..
    Well, even in major indictables like murder/rape, the severity of the crime is only part of the consideration in sentencing. The overall impact on the community is a large part of it too and whilst these guys score lower on the former, they rate as high as one can imagine on the latter. Their grubby little dealings impacted on the lives of thousands and it's not difficult to imagine that there may have been a few suicides in the population.

And in America, if you kill someone you're in enough trouble. If you screw with people's money, you're in a world of hurt. The guy who tried to corner the orange juice market in the 80's by getting inside info about the crop report (it was alluded to in the film Trading Places) got 20 years.....

I have no problem with blue-chip corporate criminals like Ken Lay and his ilk never seeing freedom again. They may not be violent but guys like him have an enormous capacity to do harm in business dealings. Imagine, for a moment, that it wasn't Enron but, say, KBR. People live and die by the decisions they make in Iraq so it's not difficult to imagine the damage that could be caused if management are crooks.

Yeah, I agree, its abit harsh and probably only to make an example. When some murderer and rapist in the US get out after 15 years...well. Surly 10 years and full seizure of their assets would be enough.

Although if I lost everything, or even anything I am sure I would be calling for their heads.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I agree that it's a bit harsh to give someone life for a non-violent crime. I'm happy with them recieving 10-15 years or so. They ruined many people's lives and should certainly lose all they have, but life just seems a bit petty. It is not as though they are a risk for repeat offenses, and I'm not a fan of making examples of criminals.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Wow, you didnt disagree with me. I was just thinking of taking away all their money, but then again, these people have multi million dollar accounts in other peoples names and on the cayman islands, so as soon as they got out, they leave the country and its tequilas every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Well, even in major indictables like murder/rape, the severity of the crime is only part of the consideration in sentencing. The overall impact on the community is a large part of it too and whilst these guys score lower on the former, they rate as high as one can imagine on the latter. Their grubby little dealings impacted on the lives of thousands and it's not difficult to imagine that there may have been a few suicides in the population.

And in America, if you kill someone you're in enough trouble. If you screw with people's money, you're in a world of hurt. The guy who tried to corner the orange juice market in the 80's by getting inside info about the crop report (it was alluded to in the film Trading Places) got 20 years.....

I have no problem with blue-chip corporate criminals like Ken Lay and his ilk never seeing freedom again. They may not be violent but guys like him have an enormous capacity to do harm in business dealings. Imagine, for a moment, that it wasn't Enron but, say, KBR. People live and die by the decisions they make in Iraq so it's not difficult to imagine the damage that could be caused if management are crooks.
    I am in no way mimimising the harm they did to the community. I agree, what they did had severe repercussions and sent shockwaves all over the world..

But 5 years for rape and a life sentence for larceny doesn't sit well with me..

On a related note T_C, what kind of sentences do rapists look at in SA.. I know it's a bit of "length of string" kind of question but is there some kind of rough guide? Maybe for a standard violent rape, one person, heat of the moment kind of thing?

I'm guessing you're going to say 5-10 years.. I would love to make that life imprisonment..

As for these monkeys.. I'd take all their money away from them, maybe make some sort of deal where they either cough up their hidden assets (which I'm sure they have) or face even longer sentences.. But a sentence of 20 years for that kind of larceny would seem more then adequate to me. Life sentence is too much IMO..

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    On a related note T_C, what kind of sentences do rapists look at in SA.. I know it's a bit of "length of string" kind of question but is there some kind of rough guide? Maybe for a standard violent rape, one person, heat of the moment kind of thing?

I'm guessing you're going to say 5-10 years.. I would love to make that life imprisonment..
    Planning something?
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    Planning something?
    Planning to avoid being a rape victim.. Some of these chicks are nuts..

I think it's my pheromones..

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Planning to avoid being a rape victim.. Some of these chicks are nuts..

I think it's my pheromones..
    Lynx deodorant? Don't worry, I think you'll be fine.

Lynx.. Hell no.. I've already clocked my clicker..

No-ones safe these days..

Another thing T_C, are there many cases of allegations of sexual assault from males against females? I remember an SVU episode where a guy was raped, Stabler laughed and Benson took it seriously.. The shrink said it was entirely possible..

Hollywood aside, does anything like this actually happen?

Lynx.. Hell no.. I've already clocked my clicker..

No-ones safe these days..

Another thing T_C, are there many cases of allegations of sexual assault from males against females? I remember an SVU episode where a guy was raped, Stabler laughed and Benson took it seriously.. The shrink said it was entirely possible..

Hollywood aside, does anything like this actually happen?
    You mean by a woman? Doubt it.
    Last edited by pasag; 27-05-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information