Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Brits scale Everest

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar

Teenage Brits scale Everest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4988832.stm

Two 19-year-olds have become the youngest Britons to climb Mount Everest - what an achievement. Climbing Everest is one of those things you just can't say "meh" at (no prizes for being the first to reply with "Meh." ).

I know these guys personally, they went to school with me. They're both great lads, and they've worked seriously hard for this. I just felt I should publicise their achievement a little, as it really is a phenomenal effort.

heard about this on South Today earlier, a great achivement.

Pfft. They're young. So what?

How about this Kiwi?

Mountaineers are lauding Kiwi double-amputee Mark Inglis as an inspiration after he conquered Mount Everest.

Inglis, who lost both his legs below the knee on Mount Cook in 1982, is the first double-amputee to reach the top of the world's highest mountain.

Inglis and his team of about 16 Kiwis and Tibetans reached the 8850m summit late on Monday night after 39 gruelling days on the mountain.

"It's fantastic. It's just incredible," said Canterbury mountaineer Charlie Hobbs, who was with Inglis when he climbed Mount Cook in 2002.

"To achieve your dreams like that you do have to move out of your comfort zone and I think this is really an inspiration to all New Zealanders and all people."

Anne Inglis managed to talk to her husband by telephone yesterday afternoon – and said while his voice was very weak from the altitude, he did say he had been relieved when he got to the top.

"He said it was very hard and very cold," Anne Inglis said.

She said the team would be making its way down to the advanced base camp last night, and back to base camp today.

Wayne Alexander, who was part of Inglis's group, contacted The Press from base camp yesterday evening.

He said he was expecting Inglis to also reach the camp soon.

"What Mark has done is incredibly demanding mentally and physically. Everest is a much more technical mountain than people realise and Mark had to put a lot of effort in. It was exhilarating to reach the summit, although it does remind you that you still have to get back down," he said.

Alexander added that Inglis was still struggling with his voice which he had lost several times on the trip and that the cold had affected their hands – but said they were all thrilled with the achievement.

Hobbs said while Inglis did struggle on some slopes with his artificial limbs, he worked it out by using different angles and could move very quickly.

"I don't consider him at all disabled," Hobbs said.

"He goes through some pain barriers that some of us don't experience."

He said that on Mount Cook in 2002, Inglis had experienced some difficulties with the connection between the artificial legs and his own legs – but did not complain.

"He was going through some painful times but he didn't say anything because he had his eye on the mountain."

Prime Minister Helen Clark yesterday congratulated Inglis and his team on reaching the summit.

"To reach the summit of Everest is a once-in-a-lifetime achievement for any climber, but for Mark Inglis it will be even more satisfying," Clark said.

"This is a truly remarkable feat for Mark, for New Zealand and world mountaineering."

Inglis's feat has been widely reported by international media from the Bangkok Post in Thailand to Fox News in the United States, BBC News in Britain and China View.

Climbing enthusiast Phil Doole, who was trapped on Mount Cook with Inglis in 1982 and lost both his feet, was thrilled to learn Inglis had reached the top on Monday.

"It was great," Doole said.

He said artificial limbs did not slow down climbers such as Inglis and himself too much, but the mountaineers did have to be careful about preserving energy.

"You certainly notice that you haven't got as much power as everyone else as you're missing muscle, so you've really got to be careful about having enough energy on board," he said.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3670026a11,00.html

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    "Inglis's feat has been widely reported by international media from the Bangkok Post in Thailand to Fox News in the United States, BBC News in Britain and China View."

And there goes the usual "look, the rest of the world has noticed us" nonsense.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Buddhy Blackman did it twice in the one day, then gave birth to civilisation as we know it, after making love to 649 beautiful models.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    And home for tea!!!
    Maria - Due December

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Pfft. They're young. So what?

How about this Kiwi?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3670026a11,00.html
    Way to thread-jack, Volty.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    "Teenage Aussies Scale Fish"

"What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Pinball Champion!
    I heard that one of the teens recieved an ASBO whilst on the way down, for littering, vomiting on the pavement, and beating up an old lady for her purse..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I heard that one of the teens recieved an ASBO whilst on the way down, for littering, vomiting on the pavement, and beating up an old lady for her purse..

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt

But seriously, I know these guys, and neither of them are remotely chavvy in the slightest. Top blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Buddhy Blackman did it twice in the one day, then gave birth to civilisation as we know it, after making love to 649 beautiful models.
    Didn't he have anything left for number 650?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Everest - forbidding, aloof, terrifying - the mountain with the biggest t**s in the world...

/python
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Didn't he have anything left for number 650?
    Nah, she only looked like Jennifer Hawkins, so he turned her down.

Such very high standards set...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information