Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New citizenship requirements

New citizenship requirements

As mentioned on A Current Affair they talked about new (or proposed) citizinship requirements for anybody wanting to become a citizen of Australia that they pass a knowledge and language (if English is not their first language) test as well as obviously be here for the required amount of time.

Thoughts? Personally I think it is a good thing, if you are going to move to another country you should take the time to learn the language (if you don't speak it) and at least learn a thing or two about the country your moving to or at worst enough so you can get by without looking an idiot and what besides what happens if something goes wrong and you need help and it isn't possible to get a translator in, you would at least be able to get your message across.

IMO I realise that it might be easier and they probably better over here, but I can never see the point in moving (for example) to Sydney if your Italian and living an Italian community or of another culture and not venture out and actually be independant and see the real country. But if they want to I guess then let them.

I have nothing against multicultralism (don't how it can be but you never know with people like CC) so what other people's thoughts?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Personally I reckon they're absurd.

The english test alone may be alright, as it is important that any potential immigrants can at least speak some of the national language.

But the proposed questions on Australian history and the like are just stupid, why question immigrants on the history of Australia when it isn't even taught in schools. Some of the supposedly proposed questions in the Herald Sun recently i didn't know the answer to. There's no reason whatsoever that immigrants should know the history of the country they're moving to, other than what they pick up whilst here.
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Absolutely. I think a huge percentage of people born in the country would do no better than immigrants in tests about the history of the country.

Anyone else see the similarities between this proposed idea and the White Australia Policy?

People should have a minimum level of proficiency in English if they want to live here..

Otherwise, it makes day to day life too hard for them and others. For me, try interacting with customers who don't speak a word of English. Some of them point, others don't seem to understand that even if they speak in Chinese slowly, it doesn't make it any easier for me to understand..

I see people with drivers licenses who can't speak a word of English. Man.. Imagine if a cop pulled them over, wtf would happen? Or if special directions were posted on a board in a construction zone..

Just think of a scenario. Try explaining to a customer that he's filled up with 20.00 litres of petrol, not $20 worth (price was $1.33 a litre), when he speaks no English..

URGH

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i dont know about the history stuff, for mine if you want to become an Australian Citizen you should certainly be able to speak english.

If you are going to have some sort of other test i think it should include things like when is ANZAC day? or Australia Day? name the Prime Minister? simple stuff that everyone should know.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Anyone else see the similarities between this proposed idea and the White Australia Policy?
    Not really.. Spell it out for me..

Immigrants to Australia should have a basic understanding of the English language but it is ridiculous to expect immigrants to learn the history of Australia unless they set specific parts of Australian history that immigrants need to learn (e.g First Fleet, ANZAC day).
    Last edited by oz_fan; 03-05-2006 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cameeel
    Personally I reckon they're absurd.

The english test alone may be alright, as it is important that any potential immigrants can at least speak some of the national language.

But the proposed questions on Australian history and the like are just stupid, why question immigrants on the history of Australia when it isn't even taught in schools. Some of the supposedly proposed questions in the Herald Sun recently i didn't know the answer to. There's no reason whatsoever that immigrants should know the history of the country they're moving to, other than what they pick up whilst here.
    I believe that is the case in the US, Holland (can't be sure only going off a case involving a footballer/soccer player trying to get Dutch citzenship) and I believe they do or at least tried to in the UK a few years ago.

As I said I'm by no means a red neck or a racist and if anybody said it to my face, well they will see how explosive my temper is...

That English requirement is absurd. I'd rather see something like English lessons provided for non-English speakers by the government than just shunning those who don't speak the lanaguage.

And Jack, it very much reminds of the 'assimilation policy' the government adopted after WWII, though obviously not as bad.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    It's an idiotic idea from a populist, fear-mongering government.
    People have to know some English before becoming citizens anyway...this test is basically pandering to a xenophobic streak in society who want to see undesirables (a.k.a. Muslims, Asians etc.) out of the country.

The idea that people should have to take some sort of history test or values test to become a citizen is absurd....most Australians don't even know their own history and wouldn't have any hope of passing such a test...and the idea that there are some sort of unique Australian values that no-one else holds is stupid as well. Australian values are global values of human decency...

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    i dont know about the history stuff, for mine if you want to become an Australian Citizen you should certainly be able to speak english.

If you are going to have some sort of other test i think it should include things like when is ANZAC day? or Australia Day? name the Prime Minister? simple stuff that everyone should know.
    That is fair enough then, or at least know the meaning behind ANZAC Day, which I think everybody knows. Stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shounak
    Not really.. Spell it out for me..
    The idea with the White Australia Policy was that immigration authorities had the power to test anyone wishing to migrate into the country with a "language test". And until the person satisfied the immigration authorities through the test, he or she wouldn't be allowed through.

There was the absurd example where an Indian doctor applied to move to Australia. He was given a test of his English skills, a language with which he was proficient. He was then given a test of his French skills - luckily enough he was taught French a bit at school, and he subsequentially passed it. Then he was given a test in Russian, or something like that, a language of which he had no clue - in other words, because he wasn't a caucasian, they wouldn't let him come into the country. An English immigrant would only have to pass an English test and the authorities would be satisfied.

Now, I'm not saying that this would happen now or in the near future, and it is slightly different because it is an application for citizenship, rather than just residency (as such). However, with something like a history test, it provides a loophole for governments in the future to exploit if they feel so inclined.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I have no issue with the government providing langauge lessons for potential immigrants as Burkey suggested - in fact I support it, but rejecting people simply for not speaking the language already is ridiculous. As long as they learn it once they are here, it's no problem. And the history stuff is even worse. Most Australians have very little knowledge of Australian history. They couldn't tell you who the first Prime Minister was, when Federation occured, when the first fleet landed or anything like that. So why hold immigrants to a higher standard?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    That English requirement is absurd. I'd rather see something like English lessons provided for non-English speakers by the government than just shunning those who don't speak the lanaguage

It helps them join in with community events.

If you want to become a citizen in Australia you should at THE VERY LEAST be able to communicate with other Australians.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information