Thread: New IR laws are in

New IR laws are in

Well as of today John Howard's new IR laws come in to force and if you believe the unions we are screwed and if you believe those on the right this is the best thing to happen to us.

I don't know what to believe tbh and for once I don't have an opinion as such on this as both sides are the same as a propoganda front trying to sell their product over the other with scare tatics to try and gain votes. However, I will concede that I don't agree with the fines in wanting job protection (up to $6000 for an individual and up to $33,000 for Unions) as it is job sercurity is important to me.

Pay (obviously as it isn't too little) is one thing but I would like job protection. However though with my knowledge and experience in what I do I shouldn't have too much in getting work somewhere else. I can see both sides views but since I'm not actually a citizen so I can't vote so I can't jump up and down and complain too much.

Labor could get re-elected on the basis of this and it's unpopularity (if you believe the media) as well as the AWB scandel and possibily the new anti-terrorism laws if they could stop fighting and *****ing amongst themselves then they could get voted in. For all their flaws you don't see this in the Liberal Party apart from maybe Peter Costello and wanting to become PM.

Thoughts? Am I talking complete absolute rubbish?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    tbh i think it will be like the GST in that everyone will have a whinge about it for a while then forget it after a few months cause it doesnt really make that much difference to most people...

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yeah im not sure it will really have that much of an impact long term, they will probably get some publicity if something happens as a result of them but that sort of thing will probably be fairly isolated. Labor up 6% in the two party prefered today though.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    It won't have an impact, but not for the reasons you think. This is because these laws will impact most negatively on the lower class, ie. those who are not, and probably never will be, in a position to negotiate a fair deal for themselves. The reason it will have very little impact is because before these laws were passed, the companies employing those people were operating outside the law and already shafting the workers. I've seen this first hand during my time at a flooring distributor in Melbourne.

And yes, people will eventually stop whinging and learn to live with this sort of nonsense because like almost everyone, they feel powerless to change anything. How can that be possible with a majority government in both houses of parliament and no credible opposition?

Despite the apparent fait accompli, that doesn't mean these laws are right. IMO, these laws are bullescheisse, and I'm so glad I got out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by mundaneyogi
    It won't have an impact, but not for the reasons you think. This is because these laws will impact most negatively on the lower class, ie. those who are not, and probably never will be, in a position to negotiate a fair deal for themselves.
    Exactly.

Hopefully unemployment benefits end up being better than the wages being offered, so it costs the stinkbags in treasury more.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    McNamara teeing off.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Hopefully unemployment benefits end up being better than the wages being offered, so it costs the stinkbags in treasury more.

they are hardly gonna let that happen though are they.

Quote Originally Posted by mundaneyogi
    It won't have an impact, but not for the reasons you think. This is because these laws will impact most negatively on the lower class, ie. those who are not, and probably never will be, in a position to negotiate a fair deal for themselves. The reason it will have very little impact is because before these laws were passed, the companies employing those people were operating outside the law and already shafting the workers. I've seen this first hand during my time at a flooring distributor in Melbourne.

And yes, people will eventually stop whinging and learn to live with this sort of nonsense because like almost everyone, they feel powerless to change anything. How can that be possible with a majority government in both houses of parliament and no credible opposition?

Despite the apparent fait accompli, that doesn't mean these laws are right. IMO, these laws are bullescheisse, and I'm so glad I got out of there.
    Which is what Labor is about and is trying to protect, these lower class citizens or "off a working class background". That is why they are making it sound like the Sky is about to fall...

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Kevin Andrews told Lateline last night that a boss could sack an employee based on a "personality clash". I doubt he thought much about it before saying it, but it really shows exactly how heartless and anti-worker "WorkChoices" is. The entire reason for having union protection for workers who are unfairly dismissed is to stop employers from firing employees for stupid reasons like that.

At least under your old system if your employer fired you for no good reason and made something up you could seek support and the reason given would be examined, because you actually had protection against unfair dismissal. Now, an employer doesn't even need to bother making anything up, they can just admit they are firing you because they don't like you (or because you joined a union, at that) and be done with it.

The funniest thing about it was that straight afterwards he said that it was still forbidden to fire workers for reasons such as race, age or gender descrimination. So I guess you just have to make sure that when you fire all the black guys who work for your that you just write "I don't like them" and leave off the REASON that you don't like them.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

The problem with Labor is that they over-play their hand leading up to the introduction of controversial legislation - Workplace Relations Act 1996; GST 2000; IR Laws 2006. They make it sound like workers will be starving on the street once the legislation is operative. When this doesn't happen - which it never does or will - it gives the impression that the changes have been beneficial. Same thing here. Unless there is a noteworthy increase in umemployment between now and the next election, the changes will be portrayed (and, I believe, accepted) as the next logical step along the path of economic reform.
    Last edited by howardj; 28-03-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    The problem with Labor is that they over-play their hand leading up to the introduction of controversial legislation - Workplace Relations Act 1996; GST 2000; IR Laws 2006. They make it sound like workers will be starving on the street once the legislation is operative. When this doesn't happen - which it never does or will - it gives the impression that the changes have been beneficial. Same thing here. Unless there is a noteworthy increase in umemployment between now and the next election, the changes will be portrayed (and, I believe, accepted) as the next logical step along the path of economic reform.
    You're right about the political strategising I think, but it doesn't make their reaction any less reasonable.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Making out like people will be "starving in the street" is the wrong tactic anyway. They won't. But they will be working pretty much non-stop, with no time off, benefits, or rights. If they do get sacked, there will be plenty of other employers who are eager to hire another wage slave.

So sure, people will have jobs, but no lives.

Yeah I think the laws could quite possibly create somewhat of an underclass - the 'working poor'. Whilst they (the laws) will have much less impact on highly skilled folk, who are obviously in a much better position to negotiate with their employer. Anyway, these laws are emblematic of how a cycle in Government usually runs.

In that, you get into Government (from Opposition) through the centre (eg in 1996 Howard vowing to keep Medicare; no GST; nothing to frighten the horses). And then - the longer the Government (Liberal or Labor) remains in Office - they move further and further to the right or left (eg this IR legislation) until eventually they get voted out.

Thread Information