Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some opinions about UK univs

pug
    U19 Vice-Captain

Need some opinions about UK univs

So, I got my conditional offers from Cambridge, LSE and Imperial. But cambridge wants me to take two expensive tests for which I might have to come up to UK. So, in all, its going to cost a lot even to just hope for Cambridge. Is it worth it? I mean, LSE is good for Mathematics and Economics, and Imperial is also prestigious. But should I take the tests and try for Cambridge? And between the two London univs, which one is better? I'm not really bothered about rankings as about general opinion of people regarding the universities?

Vic Uni in Wellington is where it's at...

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pug
    So, I got my conditional offers from Cambridge, LSE and Imperial. But cambridge wants me to take two expensive tests for which I might have to come up to UK. So, in all, its going to cost a lot even to just hope for Cambridge. Is it worth it? I mean, LSE is good for Mathematics and Economics, and Imperial is also prestigious. But should I take the tests and try for Cambridge? And between the two London univs, which one is better? I'm not really bothered about rankings as about general opinion of people regarding the universities?
    I'd take LSE over Imperial, both very good academically though but i think there's a bit more life outside the work at LSE, the location is also better imo, though it's a bit near Strand Poly
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Quote Originally Posted by pug
    Wow!
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

I'd say that Oxbridge is seriously over-rated. Both LSE and Imperial are excellent universities but for some reason in this country there's an idea that if you can get in to Oxbridge you should go there.
    London is also a fantastic place to live and much more multi-cultural if you are coming from India. Both Oxford and Cambridge can tend to be a bit insular and waspish.

Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy
    I'd say that Oxbridge is seriously over-rated. Both LSE and Imperial are excellent universities but for some reason in this country there's an idea that if you can get in to Oxbridge you should go there.
    London is also a fantastic place to live and much more multi-cultural if you are coming from India. Both Oxford and Cambridge can tend to be a bit insular and waspish.
    I can't speak for Oxford, but Cambridge (the town) is anything but waspish. We have large Italian & Polish communities and a growing Asian community.

Insular I will give you, plus the night life's fairly mediocre too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

I would highly recomend Durham.

When choosing my University I satyed at both Oxford and Cambridge on one of those 4-day teaser visits where basically they pay for eveything to gte you to go, but I just didnt like either of them. I am a north-east lad through and through and every communication I had with Durham was positivie and 2 years in I have never looked back

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    If you wanna spend three years doing nothing and still get a first, Exeter's your call.

LSE is as good as anywhere for Economics.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy
    Pug, Which college at Cambridge were you accepted to? It makes a big difference.
    Wife went to Wadham, Oxford and sister went to Jesus, Cambridge. IMO Cambridge is the nicer city, in fact the prettiest place Ive been to in the UK. As for WASPISH, neither my wife or sister are White, Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

LSE is a very good school. Be aware for some snobbery and quized looks if you choose it over Cambridge. In the classic British comedy "Yes, Minister" the minister Jim Hacker went to LSE and his civil servants treated him with academic disrespect because he did did not go to Oxbridge.

On the flip side I did not apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. Not my cup of tea and I had no real interest in associating with these type of organisations. I admire both institutions but I saw no way I could not be driven crazy there.

If you feel you will fit in at Cambridge then I readily suggest going. However, it is not suited to everyone. Consider it carefully, talk to people and if you think you could setttle and enjoy 3 years at Cambridge then I say choose Cambridge.
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-03-2006 at 06:03 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    If you wanna spend three years doing nothing and still get a first, Exeter's your call.
    LSE is as good as anywhere for Economics.
    Exeter rejected me lol
    I'd personally pick LSE over Imperial....and i agree that OxBridge is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    LOL @ Mat. Rejected by Exeter - now that sucks... almost as much as being hit for six by me.

At least not coming to Exeter saved you from the potential embarrassment of being hit for six by me in reality...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    LOL @ Mat. Rejected by Exeter - now that sucks... almost as much as being hit for six by me.
    At least not coming to Exeter saved you from the potential embarrassment of being hit for six by me in reality...
    I wanted to do German...and it turns out that A Level German is a lot harder than degree German oddly.....so despite putting effort in i got a rubbish German A level grade which i know i'm better than....

You'd probably bowl me out a lot too which would be even more embarrassing....i can't lay any of the bat on a leg spin googly =/

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    I'd take LSE over Imperial, both very good academically though but i think there's a bit more life outside the work at LSE, the location is also better imo, though it's a bit near Strand Poly
    To be fair, they're both a bit too ...southern.

Pinball Champion!
    If money is an issue, bare in mind that London is nearly twice as expensive to live as other locations in the country.. But when you're looking at the top unis like you are, you can't really go too far wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar

Assuming having two arms, two legs and a sense of co-ordination didn't get there first, you mean.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information