Thread: can anyone help me on this....

can anyone help me on this....

I have a debate on the foolowing scenario:

A manager in a computer facility quit her job and went into business as a consultant.
    She had been frustrated because she thought that her employer ignored her many
    suggestions for needed improvements, including better security to protect data and
    programs stored in a large multi-access computer system. While employed by the
    company she had authorised password access to all parts of the system. At
    termination, the company did not tell her that she was no longer authorised to use the
    system, and did not invalidate her password.
    She later returned to the company, offering her consultancy services to assist with
    improving computer security. The offer was refused. She then used her knowledge
    of the system and her former password to gain access to the computer from her new
    office and downloaded large quantities of data and programs for the only purpose of
    presenting them to the company to demonstrate to them that their operation was
    insecure.

can anyone help me to identify the points I can use to say that this practice is appropriate and not appropriate?

thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    The issue is largely internal control and who and who should not have access to a companys systems. Off the top of my head (going back to my business degree days) the principles of internal control are: establishment of responsibility, physical, mechanical and electronic controls, segregation of duties, independent internal verification and document procedures.

You can discuss them then talk about ethical behaviour. I take it this is for a business subject?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    she certainly has a point about their security if employees dont get access revoked on separation
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    The issue is largely internal control and who and who should not have access to a companys systems. Off the top of my head (going back to my business degree days) the principles of internal control are: establishment of responsibility, physical, mechanical and electronic controls, segregation of duties, independent internal verification and document procedures.

You can discuss them then talk about ethical behaviour. I take it this is for a business subject?
    actually this is for computer ethics. our lecturer came up with this 'brilliant' idea to test us by holding debates on various scenarios.

anyway, thanks for ur help, mate. I'll look up on principles of internal control.

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    she certainly has a point about their security if employees dont get access revoked on separation
    indeed. anyway, why would she want to help them if they rejected her ideas in the first place. she should have stayed home, relax and let some hacker ruin that company.

cpr
    My personal interpretation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dinu23
    . At termination, the company did not tell her that she was no longer authorised to use the system, and did not invalidate her password.
    I think it should be implied that on termination of contract, all rights and priveledges in the original contract are terminated with it. So the right to use the system is removed as soon as the contract ends. Although the company is acting carelessly, it is still acting in a appropriate manner (the password might be deleted at a date more convenient for the company, explaining why its left on for the time being)

She later returned to the company, offering her consultancy services to assist with
    improving computer security. The offer was refused. She then used her knowledge
    of the system and her former password to gain access to the computer from her new
    office
    The company has declined her help. They have made a conscious decision not to allow her to improve security. Also when they told her she is not to help, they have declined her access to their computers for the purpose of upgrading security. therefore if any debate about her right to use her password still hung in the balance, it should be solved now. Therefore she has no right to ignore the companies request and use the companies system when they have told her she cannot, and is acting completely inappropriately, and i dare say outside the bounds of the law.

and downloaded large quantities of data and programs for the only purpose of
    presenting them to the company to demonstrate to them that their operation was
    insecure.
    Still her actions are inappropriate, despite the attempt to explain them. The appropriate way for her to act would be to list what she could do. Present it clearly to the company without actually doing it, and let them decide the best course of action. She should not force the companies hand or disregard the wish of the system owners
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

The fact that she's a woman is incredibly inappropriate. Females do not belong in the workplace.

then where do they belong ?

In the kitchen cooking me dinner, or in the hospital birthing my children. Women are objects.

what kind of objects?

Barely animate objects.

Quote Originally Posted by squeakyclean
    In the kitchen cooking me dinner, or in the hospital birthing my children. Women are objects.
    We've given you countless warnings and you continue to just try and cause trouble...

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by squeakyclean
    In the kitchen cooking me dinner, or in the hospital birthing my children...
    ...or for consoling you after you get banned from an internet forum...

Quote Originally Posted by cpr
    My personal interpretation of it.

I think it should be implied that on termination of contract, all rights and priveledges in the original contract are terminated with it. So the right to use the system is removed as soon as the contract ends. Although the company is acting carelessly, it is still acting in a appropriate manner (the password might be deleted at a date more convenient for the company, explaining why its left on for the time being)

The company has declined her help. They have made a conscious decision not to allow her to improve security. Also when they told her she is not to help, they have declined her access to their computers for the purpose of upgrading security. therefore if any debate about her right to use her password still hung in the balance, it should be solved now. Therefore she has no right to ignore the companies request and use the companies system when they have told her she cannot, and is acting completely inappropriately, and i dare say outside the bounds of the law.

Still her actions are inappropriate, despite the attempt to explain them. The appropriate way for her to act would be to list what she could do. Present it clearly to the company without actually doing it, and let them decide the best course of action. She should not force the companies hand or disregard the wish of the system owners
    some valuable info. there. Thanks mate.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    ...or for consoling you after you get banned from an internet forum...
    Cool kid.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Thread Information