Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Women asking to be raped?

Women asking to be raped?

One in three people in Britain believe a woman is partly or completely to blame for being raped if she has behaved in a flirtatious manner, or is drunk, according to new research. More than a quarter also believe a woman is at least partly responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, a survey of 1,095 British adults found.
    Rape support groups described the findings as “appalling” and part of a “sexist blame culture”. A second study found that police continue to provide a “patchy” service when they investigate rapes.
    Poor police responses and prejudice attitudes among the public are part of the reason that an estimated 85 per cent of rapes go unreported and that only about 6 per cent of those recorded by the authorities resulted in a conviction last year.
    The extent of the public’s bias against certain types of behaviour by women was exposed in a poll, commissioned by Amnesty International, published yesterday.
    One in five think a woman is partly to blame if it is known she has many sexual partners, while more than a third believe she is responsible to some degree if she has clearly failed to say “no” to the man.
    Just over a fifth of people said that if a woman was alone and walking in a dangerous or deserted area, she was totally or partly responsible.
    In each of these scenarios a slightly greater proportion of men than women held these views – except when it came to being drunk, when it was equal. More women (5 per cent) than men (3 per cent) thought a woman was “totally responsible” for being raped if she was intoxicated.
    Victim Support, the national charity, urged criminal justice professionals and healthcare workers to “consider how best to educate people about the terrible impact of rape, with a view to changing these attitudes.” The ICM poll also revealed that the vast majority of the British population has no idea how many women are raped every year in the UK.
    Almost all, 96 per cent, of respondents said they either did not know the true extent of rape or thought it was far lower than the true figure. Only 4 per cent even thought the number of women raped exceeded 10,000. The number of recorded rapes in 2004/5 was more than 12,000 and the 2001 British Crime Survey estimated that just 15 per cent of rapes come to the attention of the police.
    I was listening to this at work today. They were discussing whether or not women who are scantily clad, are flirtacious and drink alcohol are asking to be raped (or sexually assaulted)..

This whole thing seems utterly ridiculous to me. Not only does it suggest that men are uncontrollable wild animals driven by only one head, but also that victims of rape are somehow asking for and deserve it..

I can understand the frustration guys can feel if he is led on, taken up the ladder and then abruptly stopped.. But NOTHING justifies rape.. If too much preheating of the oven was done, but the turkey was left out in the freezer.. There is no justification for a guy to force himself on a woman.. (Possibly take matters into his own hands)..

But I was suprised so many people felt that a woman is partly responsible if she behaves in a particular way..

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by shounak
    I was listening to this at work today. They were discussing whether or not women who are scantily clad, are flirtacious and drink alcohol are asking to be raped (or sexually assaulted)..

This whole thing seems utterly ridiculous to me. Not only does it suggest that men are uncontrollable wild animals driven by only one head, but also that victims of rape are somehow asking for and deserve it..

I can understand the frustration guys can feel if he is led on, taken up the ladder and then abruptly stopped.. But NOTHING justifies rape.. If too much preheating of the oven was done, but the turkey was left out in the freezer.. There is no justification for a guy to force himself on a woman.. (Possibly take matters into his own hands)..

But I was suprised so many people felt that a woman is partly responsible if she behaves in a particular way..

Any thoughts?
    actually this is a very common feeling especially among men in typical male-dominated societies...i have heard this opinion quite often from guys that if a woman was molested, abused, raped, more often than not, she must've asked for it....forget revealing clothes, sometimes a haughty, standoffish attitude in a female is used to justify their ill-treatment, "men will be men, it's up to the woman to make sure these circumstances don't occur" is the mantra for such men....cheap, pathetic ********s that they are....

Quite right mate.. If this survey was conducted in Pakistan or somewhere, OK. I would understand. But Britain.. That's what really threw me off.. And it was done with a sample of 1096 people..

The results are alarming IMO.. I know Britain has a large proportion of Muslims, but still. I did NOT expect this from a developed nation..

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Well, I'd not put too much faith into surveys like this, but honestly I wouldn't be that shocked if it was fairly representative anyway. It's an utterly warped idea, but it carries over from the puritanical attitude that persisted about female sexuality through most of the 20th century, and still remains today in certain parts of society.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quite right mate.. If this survey was conducted in Pakistan or somewhere, OK. I would understand. But Britain.. That's what really threw me off.. And it was done with a sample of 1096 people..

The results are alarming IMO.. I know Britain has a large proportion of Muslims, but still. I did NOT expect this from a developed nation..
    Care to explain the significance of that a bit more fully?
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    shounak-raging rascist?

Nah, this is all silly, probly not even a hugely serious survey, people could've wrote anything

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc
    Care to explain the significance of that a bit more fully?
    I think you know exactly what I'm saying.. Just look at the treatment of women in a lot of Islamic countries..

The Burqua for one.. It essentially states that it's a woman's responsiblity to stay humble, so that Men won't be attracted to her. Implying that men have no self control. Just seeing a woman will make them go SNAP..

Remember the gang rapes up in Sydney. Lebanese Muslim blokes, kept saying "She was asking for it, with that mini-skirt"..

Is it just a co-incidence that these young fellas happen to be Muslim?

I'm not casting aspersions on the whole of Islam. Just a particular type of Islam some people choose to follow..

International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Without questioning the legitimacy of the study (which, for all I know, might be questioned), it's actually likely an indication of progress. While a lot of progress has been made on this kind of issue over the last decade, huge swathes of the population don't just change their opinion overnight. When you're talking in raw percentages (which this study apparently does), you have to think of the types of groups that are going to be represented - ie, people from extremely working class backgrounds, the elderly (both genders), etc, etc.

Results for this kind of study from ten or twenty years ago might give a better idea of context.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I'm not casting aspersions on the whole of Islam. Just a particular type of Islam some people choose to follow..
    Rubbish, if that's what you meant, that's what you should have written. What you wrote initially indicated your meaning clearly enough.

As for the rest of your post: 1) you're making a massive inference from a piece of traditional clothing; and 2) you're making a massive extrapolation from a single incident (an incident which is by no means limited to Muslim youths).

Re. the initial post - as others have said, it might be broadly reflective of a fundamentally sexist culture, but it's rather dangerous to rely on surveys such as these I think. The questions could easily be worded in such a way as to enable a fairly innocuous opinion to be turned into something appalling, as in the title of this post.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I agree with Adam that this is a load of crap and a cop-out. Your original post clearly made a link between believing that women deserved to be raped if they wore revealing clothing and Islam as a religion.

I think you know exactly what I'm saying.. Just look at the treatment of women in a lot of Islamic countries..

The Burqua for one.. It essentially states that it's a woman's responsiblity to stay humble, so that Men won't be attracted to her. Implying that men have no self control. Just seeing a woman will make them go SNAP..

Remember the gang rapes up in Sydney. Lebanese Muslim blokes, kept saying "She was asking for it, with that mini-skirt"..

Is it just a co-incidence that these young fellas happen to be Muslim?

yes it is....this attitude is by no means restricted to muslims, you find it in all different types of people from all different religions and non-religious people as well....and i have heard of women conditioned to think this way adopting the same attitude towards other women.....

Pinball Champion!
    Sounds like a stupid idea.. Like the people who blame McDonalds because they eat lots of fatty foods, just because its there, doesn't mean you have to take advantage..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

PY
    Disgusting attitudes IMO.

It wasn't just a dodgy survey (ie an obscure one) as Channel 4 ran it as one of their main headlines last night. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it. There's to be no justification for sexual assault and there never should be.

Yes, I believe that keeping your drive under control is made more difficult by behaviour of ladies but if the answer is to assault someone to satisfy it then then Britain has got major issues within. It's an extension of the blame culture which seems to be increasing in various parts of society at the moment eg compensation, people not stopping for car bumps and many more.

Note - Please bear in mind that we're a multi-cultural forum and comments could be taken as offensive whether they are meant to be or not.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

TBF you are an idiot. Most of your posts on these kinds of discussions are blatantly anti-muslim, anti-pakistan.

I think a lot depends on how the survey was worded, for example it could have been worded something like:

Do you believe provocative clothing would increase the chances of a woman being raped?

The answers of that question are then converted into:

More than a quarter also believe a woman is at least partly responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, a survey of 1,095 British adults found
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information