Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fantasy/Science Fiction (book/movies/tv series/radio series) thread

The Fantasy/Science Fiction (book/movies/tv series/radio series) thread

So who is your favorite fantasy/sci-fi author? Which books do you like the most? Any authors you want to recommend? Why do you read fantasy/sci-fi? Is it the best genre? What are you reading? What do you plan to read?

P.S: My 1000th post, finally.

Suds is gonna love this thread.

*waits for the galaxy stuff*

Ms. JKR
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Douglas Adams! :P
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Can't get any better than Douglas Adams.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman come in a close second and third.

I'm currently not reading any fantasy/sci-fi for a change, but "American Gods" by Gaiman is the next of the genre on my list.

I'm trying to obtain various manifestations of Adams's H2G2 currently though. I got hold of the first six episodes of the radio show, and quite liked them (well, duh).
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Suds is gonna love this thread.

*waits for the galaxy stuff*

One of the reasons I have taken a break from fantasy/sci-fi is that after re-reading H2G2 about nine times in six months, I started imagining weird stuff, which uses up my time, which I don have to spare much right now, unfortunately. For example, Adams just touched on the opposite of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, The Big Bang Burger Bar. I've conjured up in my mind an imagination, which I could put down to about 10,000 words.

I've recommended this book before and I'll do it again here too. It's not sci-fi, neither fantasy. It's non-fiction. But it's by Douglas Adams. And it's my all-time favourite #1 book.

LAST CHANCE TO SEE.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg
    So who is your favorite fantasy/sci-fi author? Which books do you like the most? Any authors you want to recommend? Why do you read fantasy/sci-fi? Is it the best genre? What are you reading? What do you plan to read?
    My favourite author changes from time tot ime - I don't count Pratchett as fantasy, it's more humour/social commentary. Isaac Asimov is excellent, though - his imagination is just incredible at times. For sheer fantasy, probably Raymond E. Feist or Janny Wurts - Wurts introduces a culture which is slightly different from the way we're used to because of the way magic pervades it it - same as Tolkien did, but unlike Feist who just transports medieval France and Japan to other worlds, unfortunately I'm yet to meet anyone who's read her main series of books (Wars of Light and Shadow, not the Empire series, although that is absolutely brilliant too - for sheer intrigue, even though it's obvious the thing describes Japan with different geography).

So yeah - if you aren't afraid of a 7,000-page series and quite complicated sentences (I hope something happens in the next five books, though - she's managed to keep a good plot going for the first two, just like Robert Jordan did, but I hope her series isn't going the same way as Jordan since I haven't finished the books yet and am still trying to get through), I'd definitely recommend that. David Eddings is good for a laugh, too, but he writes extremely standard stories. I suppose everyone returns to Lord of the Rings once in a while, too, I do at least - I'd like to say a big thanks to Tolkien, because we probably wouldn't have enjoyed all those other authors if he didn't write LoTR. And he was also one of the most creative around.

I love fantasy - it's definitely the genre I read the most of (that and crime novels, which should send me in front of all literature firing squads). Yet, it allows for just churning out words without really having anything to say (the reason I don't like Robert Jordan's books - right now, anyway. I might return to them at some point, when I've got a spare year ). And it's also a bit fuzzy - is "real-world" fantasy like Harry Potter and Strange & Norrell fantasy? (I'd say it is, and pretty damn good, too).
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    ).

I love fantasy - it's definitely the genre I read the most of (that and crime novels, which should send me in front of all literature firing squads). Yet, it allows for just churning out words without really having anything to say (the reason I don't like Robert Jordan's books - right now, anyway. I might return to them at some point, when I've got a spare year ). And it's also a bit fuzzy - is "real-world" fantasy like Harry Potter and Strange & Norrell fantasy? (I'd say it is, and pretty damn good, too).
    Jonthhan Strange and Mr Norrel is a fantastic book but i didnt see it ias a fantasy when i read it. Robert Jordan is still my favourite fantasy writer at the moment cetainly not my favourite writer overall. I do really enjoy the wheel of time series even if it is obsurdly long and the last couple of books havnt been so good. I have yet to read the 11th one.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    Jonthhan Strange and Mr Norrel is a fantastic book but i didnt see it ias a fantasy when i read it..
    Why not? It's got magic, and a big war. Two major ingredients, I should think (ok, there's no evil, just the French...)

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Why not? It's got magic, and a big war. Two major ingredients, I should think (ok, there's no evil, just the French...)
    Yes that is true. It is probably mainly down to the way it is written and the way the magic is usualy conducted in a non spectacular fashion. It is just a great english novel with magic

I don't really like either genre, but I think Iain M. Banks is brilliant, especially Use of Weapons- I like his ordinary fiction too, and The War of the Worlds is one of my favourite books ever, right up there with Nineteen Eighty-Four. Jonathan Strange is an odd case. I got it because I'd heard good things about it, and it is very good. What the writer did with it was a great leap of the imagination, a twisted napoleonic world, very inventive.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

pug
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Well, to not mention Tolkien would be a sin. So, Tolkien.

But frankly, there are many excellent writers out there with works surpassing Tolkien's middle earth. Raymond E Feist's Riftwar and Serpentwar Sagas are excellent.

George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is currently my favourite series. I would rate his writing style extremely captivating and his character development enchanting.

Robin Hobb has a few good trilogies - Assassin was nice, Fool was superb! Liveship was quite good too. I'm looking forward for her to finish her newest trilogy - Soldier Son.. part one was slightly dissappointing.

Although not a big fan of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance type books, I would still rate Dragonlance Legends quite highly.

Stephen King's Dark Tower is an amazing contemporary fantasy.

Douglas Adams, of course has some good stuff.

David Eddings has some sparks of brilliance in a load of rough.

I enjoyed reading CS Lewis' Narnia stories as well.

If Robert Jordan had ended the Wheel Of Time series a few books earlier, I would have rated it quite highly as well. But well, he's nearing the end now.

Philip Pullman with his dark materials is quite a famous writer as well.

Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series was good, although I found it a bit tiring to finish.

Anne McAffrey should enchant those who like dragons and dragonriders.

Then there are all these neo-fantasy writers like Rowling, Eoin Colfer, Jonathan Stroud, Paolini whom I haven't read much (barring Rowling) and who attract little kids and teenagers.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    The Dark Tower series is huge!

i've read the first two books and they're pretty good but i'm not going to bother reading the other(aren't there like 15 of the things?) ones.it's take to long.

Terry Pratchet is good,but i prefer his childrens stuff more,mainly because i find his discworld stuff to hard to understand.

Ah, I got so excited, that I forgot Tolkien.

I've been meaning to read the Foundation and Dune series, by Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert respectively. But I've ordered the Johnny Maxwell series by Pratchett, and there's also American Gods by Gaiman in the pipelines, so I guess these two mega-series will have to wait a bit longer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information