Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Superb yet fairly unknown

Movies - Superb yet fairly unknown

Okay this thread is another one for the movie fans of CW. It gives people a chance to describe movies which are, as the title of the thread suggests, excellent, must watch, yet most people on the forum are likely not to have watched.

I begin with Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon.

Its a movie which explores the real truth into what people claim to be the truth. I would not like to spoil the movie for the people who have not watched it. Its a black and white movie but I doubt if people watching the movie will really mind. Another aspect apart from the psychological angle of the movie I liked was the direction and use of angle by Kurosawa.

A true masterpiece.
    Last edited by Pratters; 20-09-2005 at 08:59 AM.

Naked . Best Film Ever. Directed by Mike Leigh, brilliant lead role by David Thewlis.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Alice in Underpants - great flick
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

'My Cousin Vinny' - One of the best comedies I have ever watched. One of the rare movies which I can watch over and over again. It is so funny yet not many of my friends have heard of this movie.

Infact for some reason, many of them find it passable. But what the heck, I feel it is a great movie and one of the funniest I have watched.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Danny Deckchair and Fat Pizza
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Any of the Costa Gavras political thrillers, but particularly his Hollywood venture Missing, starring Jack Lemmon. It's about the disappearance of a radical American journalist who was caught in Chile during the Pinochet coup. Incredibly powerful film, based on a true story.

Gavras has a wonderful ability to really shock you into paying attention to the messages in his films with powerful imagery, and although his films can be a bit didactic at times, you can't not be affected by what he does. The scene in Missing with the bodies on the see-through floor, or the US officials shrugging off Lemmon's passionate pleas for his son, with the evil-looking portrait of Nixon looming over the conversation from the office wall. Utterly chilling. The torture scene in State Of Seige, one of his spanish films, is similarly shocking.

Another political thriller with Lemmon in it that is definately worth watching but often ignored is The China Syndrome. He's one of the great actors, but gets relatively little recognition.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

The man who wasnt there and Hapiness both great films

Pinball Champion!
    Hotel Rwanda - Fairly big but still under rated..

About a guy (awesome actor who'se name always escapes me) who opens up his hotel during the Rwandan genocide.. Largely ignored by the UN, his fellow countrymen continue to massacre each other throughout this grim, yet extremely moving film.. Watch it on your own when you feel like a bit of a "think"
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cube

An awesome movie which not many people seem to know about. 8 People trapped in a giant cube, with traps in different rooms...what more could you want? One the best low budget films that i know of. Still find it amazing that the entire thing was done with hand-held cameras.
    ďAnd God came down from the heavens, and he said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road."And the chicken crossed the road. And the people rejoiced, all across the land.

Australia's Only FairDinkum News Site - www.xenoxnews.com
    -------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Yep. One of my favourite films of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt

About a guy (awesome actor who'se name always escapes me) who opens up his hotel during the Rwandan genocide.. Largely ignored by the UN, his fellow countrymen continue to massacre each other throughout this grim, yet extremely moving film.. Watch it on your own when you feel like a bit of a "think"
    His name is Don Cheadle. Remember his name because he's one of the most awesome actors going around today.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Anyone with a passion for sport should watch Remember The Titans. It'll strike a note with anyone who acknowledges how sport can bring people together, or anyone who's ever been inspired by the achievements of a particular athlete or team. It's based on a true story, too.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Anyone with a passion for sport should watch Remember The Titans. It'll strike a note with anyone who acknowledges how sport can bring people together, or anyone who's ever been inspired by the achievements of a particular athlete or team. It's based on a true story, too.
    Legendary film.

Watched that with massive group of us and it was the heart-warming truimph over adversity that is, as you say, based on a true story (means it doesn't feel tacky although the film may have been Hollywood-ised) that struck us.

We quickly went outside and started pelting an American footy at each other too.

'Jackie Brown' is one of the films I don't hear much about from friends though in my book it's a classic.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I'm not much of a movie connoisseur, but Cidade de Deus (City of God) is one movie of fairly little reknown that I particularly liked ('enjoyed' would perhaps be the wrong word...).

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    His name is Don Cheadle. Remember his name because he's one of the most awesome actors going around today.
    Can't do English accents tho. His was awful in Ocean's 11.

My all-time fav film is generally pretty ignored: Cross of Iron directed by Pekinpah. It's an anti-war movie, but accurately reflects the ambivalence many soldiers must feel. It deals with the retreat from Russia by the German army in 1943, focussing on one reconnaissance platoon. The lead character, played by James Coburn, is a decorated Sergeant but one who hates his whermacht uniform & everything it stands for. At the same time tho he recognises his prowess gives him an identity he is fearful of losing. David Warner has a great cameo as a loyal, but deeply cynical staff captain. He gets to utter the film's best line, in response to an enquiry about his health from a new arrival to the front he says

"Thank you for asking, Captain. I feel terrible, I've got diarrhoea, how are you?"
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information