Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/11: Where were you?

9/11: Where were you?

I saw this on another forum that I visit and I thought I'd start it here seeing as today is the 4th Anniversary of the atrocities that were commited in the US.

Well, I was taking an after-school course and I didn't hear anything until that finished at 4PM. My Mum was waiting for me outside in the car and as soon as I got in she asked me whether I had heard about what had happened. I said that I hadn't and she said that two planes had crashed into World Trade Centre buildings. I remember thinking, what the hell are the World Trade Centre buildings? I honestly hadn't heard of them before 9/11. I can also remember sort of shrugging it off, I didn't think it was as major then as it turned out to be.

So, we got home and my Dad was watching Sky News. I saw the pictures and literally couldn't say anything for about ten minutes. I quietly made my way upstairs and got changed out of my school uniform and then returned to sit with my Parents for the rest of the night watching various news programmes, truly shocked at what had happened.

RIP.
    PommieMacGill.

“Everyday life is only an illusion behind which lies the reality of dreams." - Werner Herzog

Friedrich Nietzsche | Werner Herzog | Joy Division | Ludovico Einaudi | History | Peep Show

International Vice-Captain
    I was in a pretty similar situation to you, walking home from school, totally oblivious and when I got home I just sat and watched.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I'd gone to bed early actually and fallen asleep at about 6 in the evneing having had little sleep the night before, and someone came and woke me and I went out and watched it on TV.

I think my first reaction was a kind of nervous excitement, in the sense that I knew something big was happenening, and really a major attack on US soil was something I'd rather expected for some time. Obviously, I don't mean excitement in the positive sense, but more like an adrenaline rush from knowing you were watching a horrific, historic event live as it happened. Quite an amazing reflection on the time we live in that people could experience such a thing visually all over the world the way that they did.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Breakout Champion!
    I was at school. It's my sisters birthday, so when we got home she came bounding in expecting everyone to give her backetloads of attention (even more than usual), but Granddad greeted her with "Shush! They're showing it again!" We didn't have a clue what he was on about

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I was at home, funnily enough. My car was being serviced so I'd taken the day off work. I saw the whole tragedy unfold on telly. A faintly surreal experience.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I was up late doing (school)work of some description that was due the next day. My mum was watching TV in another room and mentioned something about the WTC being hit. Being preoccupied, I didn't really pay much attention to what she was saying, and didn't see it on TV 'til about ten minutes later. Quite surreal really, and it took an inordinately long time for me to realise just how serious it was.

I was living in Singapore at the time. I was watching television in the loungeroom, and the phone rang. One of my dad's workmates rang him telling him to switch on CNN, and that the US had been attacked. I still remember the chills I received when watching the planes crash into the WTC, and seeing it collapse.

A tragic day, may all those that died RIP.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I'd come home from school, and I was going to my Gran's (She lives near us) and I got in the door and turned on the TV and saw this, and she'd been home all day, doing stuff(dunno what) and she hadn't seen it, so I said something like "have you seen this" not really realising how big it was.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

I was at home watching television, which is why I saw the second plane hit live. My uncle was supposed to boarding from LaGuardia for a plane to Chicago. My grandmother got all tensed up, and so I rushed to the nearest cyber cafe to call him from Net2Phone. It was late evening in India when it all happened; I stayed up all night till my uncle reached his home safely in White Plains, walking, communicating with him about what was happening around him.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

I was at a mate playing worms 3d, and my mates dad is a adviser of the prime-minister of Holland so he rang us and said watch CNN something happend, my mate was like..aah who cares im busy with worms.
    then we heard what happend went to live footage and saw the 2nd one hit the 2nd building...it shock me although i had a rush of adrenaline just like faaip had. it was something historic and shocking that happend. I was quiet fast aware that thing would change rapidly after the attack. and so it did.
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Hexxagon Champion!
    I had gotten off the bus from college and was walking home when the planes hit. Got home, switched on the telly and watched the footage being aired.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

it happened at about 1 AM in NZ so I woke up at about 6 and my sister had been watching it from when the reports started and just said shhhhhh when I walked into the living room.
    It's a sad day when a country's government attacks its people.
    C'mon COLTS

Southern Dynamo Midfielder

www.myspace.com/themakeoutkidsnz

Pinball Champion!
    It was my second day at college, I had just got changed for a badminton game with a few mates when I got down the stairs some tool said "The Sears tower is falling down!".. Went into the common room, slumped in front of a chair and watched the whole thing unfold, second plane and all (originally thought it was a horrible "accident")..

Wasn't impressed with the "why the hell did you miss badminton" lecture I got the day after.. Biggest day in modern history..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Was in English lit at college when someone burst in saying that the twin towers had been struck. Proceeded to have the class then saw it on tele after, then became convinced that i would have to enlist for the imminent war, what a newbie!!
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crickhowell
    It's a sad day when a country's government attacks its people.
    Erm, what?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information