Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Kazaa! Take That!

  1. #1
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,359

    Kazaa! Take That!

    I don't know if anyone picked up on it, but yesterday Kazaa were found guilty of illegal music file sharing. I am hoping that this decision when appealed is upheld because it is a great day for the music industry. Now don't get me wrong, I hate 'The Man' like every other musician, but at least 'The Man' gives musicians some money and there are great organisations out there like APRA who look after the rights of musicians and their royalties. However Kazaa has raped the industry as the musicians get rewarded with nothing.

    Let this be a warning to any future criminals who wish to steal music and distribute it free.

    For once the law has got something right.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    I have mixed feelings about the file sharing thing.

    On one hand, I can see the argument that it deprives musicians in certian specific cases of part of their livelyhood. The Metallica's and Britney's of the world can frankly shut up about it, because they sell that many albums and have that much control over their contracts that they don't lose anything of significance, but in some cases with smaller bands with specific, smaller audiences, it can be a problem. It can also be a boon because it allows bands to get exposure they might not otherwise have.

    On the other hand, music recording is a multi-billion dollar industry, in which the artist takes only a (relatively) small percentage of the profits because of what amounts a monopoly over distribution. If you want someone to blame for the hardships of smaller scale musicians, you can look at the recording industry itself and the people who control it, not at fans who download music because they like it and don't want to pay through the nose for a CD, or for that matter simply can't find it because record stores in many areas have such a limited range.

    Two sentences removed in an attempt to keep the thread open. There is a telescreen behind the picture frame.

    The way people go on about it (downloading music) as if it is an act of incomparable evil is pretty ridiculous considering how badly recording artists get ripped off by the people who distribute their music.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 05-09-2005 at 10:47 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  3. #3
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Faaip, I agree with much of what you say, but I would rip out most of your third paragraph, 'cause otherwise I think the thread may get locked.

    Dunno if we'll get to talk about this much anyway, but I wouldn't mind saying something on the issue when I've got a bit more time. I also wanna see if I can find a great article Courtney Love wrote on the conduct of the record companies and this subject.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    I don't know how much Kazaa and the like actually affect the smaller independent musicians and the like...I find that with the sort of music I listen to, you can't even find it on Kazaa and it's easier (and involves less guilt) to just buy the CD. File-sharing programs are generally only good for mainstream pop - and these artists, as Faaip said, have little to complain about.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    Faaip, I agree with much of what you say, but I would rip out most of your third paragraph, 'cause otherwise I think the thread may get locked.

    Dunno if we'll get to talk about this much anyway, but I wouldn't mind saying something on the issue when I've got a bit more time. I also wanna see if I can find a great article Courtney Love wrote on the conduct of the record companies and this subject.
    Done. I've not had much experience here with discussions about music piracy, I didn't realise mentioning it would get a thread closure. Confirmation from a mod perhaps?

    And yes, that Love article is excellent. I heard Jello Biafra (of Dead Kennedys fame) make some excellent points on music piracy once as well, discussing the potential positives and negatives for independant and small-label musicians.

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain SupaFreak2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Jon's house
    Posts
    4,152
    p2p will live on!!! die you good citizens!!! long live camelot!!
    Padi ag ofin ton fach unig Sua, sua ar lan y mor Huna blentyn nid oes yma Ddim i roddi iti fraw

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,359
    FaaipDeOiad - There is a difference between listening to a song and liking it and legally downloading it if you don't want to buy the entire album and file sharing songs that you haven't bought to other people who haven't paid for them. I am more than happy for itunes etc to offer people cheaper single songs then the overpriced cds, but when it is all free and pretty much illegal - that is wrong.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    FaaipDeOiad - There is a difference between listening to a song and liking it and legally downloading it if you don't want to buy the entire album and file sharing songs that you haven't bought to other people who haven't paid for them. I am more than happy for itunes etc to offer people cheaper single songs then the overpriced cds, but when it is all free and pretty much illegal - that is wrong.
    I don't see how legal downloads are relevant to the debate really, because they are controlled by record companies and cost money anyway.

  9. #9
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,938
    Awesome result. And yes Kyle, finally, the law has got something right!
    Jesus saves

    proudly supporting Liverpool FC

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,853
    I remember reading a quote from Moby about this that said something like "If someone chooses to download any of my songs from the millions on the internet, then I'm honoured."

    I agree with Faiip that it means nothing to the big artists, but does mean quite a lot to the smaller ones. That said, the prices of music is pretty stupid, and if you can download songs from iTunes at discounted prices, why can't you get CD's at a fraction of the price that they're at now?

    Really, it's hard to know who to side with. Sometimes, it's the only way to hear any music. When in China, you had two choices when it came to music- go onto the streets and buy a pirated CD, or go online and download pirated songs. And normally, if I heard a few songs I liked, I'd make a note to buy a CD of it in Sydney. If I heard one song I liked and the rest were tripe, then I wouldn't buy it, which in my opinion is the musician's fault for releasing bad music. There are people who will download thousands of songs, however, and that is pretty wrong. But I find it ironic that people suggest using iTunes and the like when it's not available in most countries, as far as I know
    Last edited by andyc; 06-09-2005 at 02:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Perth, West Aus
    Posts
    4,705
    lol

    "I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

    "Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20


    Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,853
    So Kyle, how much money have the Ramjets lost because of Kazaa?

    Seriously though, wouldn't you be happy if a few of your songs got online? People could hear some of your music and then show up to a show.

  13. #13
    International Captain cameeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,902
    If the record companies were to lower the price of CD's, then they easily sell at lot more copies. It's the same with DVD piracy, $30 is far too much for a movie, so people pirate them. If the price were lowered to say, $15 dollars they would sell a hell of a lot more DVD's then they do now, until they end up not losing any money at all. THe same goes for music, $25+ is a lot for an album, particularly when you're unlikely to enjoy every song on it
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

    "This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

  14. #14
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,938
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    So Kyle, how much money have the Ramjets lost because of Kazaa?

    Seriously though, wouldn't you be happy if a few of your songs got online? People could hear some of your music and then show up to a show.
    ...they are online.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    ...they are online.
    I'm guessing he means being freely circulated on Kazaa or soulseek or whatever.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •