Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression

International Debutant DJellett's Avatar

Depression

Sh1t thing. I suffer from it. Anyone else?

PS myles yes I do
    Dylan Hooper-Jellett
    CWCA Chairman

Want to be the next Bradman - of the forum?
    Simmed Cricket. Real Fun.
    CricketWeb Cricket - Sign Up Now

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Melicous? Is that a nasty, yet tasty, comment?

If Jeff Kennet saw this thread, he'd kick your @rse..

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Jeff Kennett is a legend. I'm quite a fan of Jeff.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Real depression is pretty serious. Teenage angst inspired 'depression,' just p***es me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Real depression is pretty serious.
    yeah it is, very hard for some people to break out of it too
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Real depression is pretty serious. Teenage angst inspired 'depression,' just p***es me off.
    Good call.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Really though, define the difference. Lots of things can trigger depression in those inclined towards it, and sometimes its things that, for the right age group at least, might be dismissed as "teenage angst".
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Really though, define the difference. Lots of things can trigger depression in those inclined towards it, and sometimes its things that, for the right age group at least, might be dismissed as "teenage angst".
    Therein lies the problem.. There are few objective measures with peoples minds. This one's going to go over the top. Soon, everyone having a bad day will use the "depression card", which I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies will use to their advantage.

Strikes me as ridiculous what people do when they get the beginnings of a cold. Immediately see their doctor who prescribe anti-biotics.

Can't wait til everyone going through puberty or any changes in their life will have "depression". No doubt it'll also be glorified by celebrities.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Yeah, good point, didn't think of that.
    I guess it can be a bit hard to tell, but more often than not when a teenager is in their room listening to Marilyn Manson or whatever, it's because they're a) spoilt, b) seeking attention or c) unable to handle their emotions, and only the last one has much to do with depression.

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJellett
    Sh1t thing. I suffer from it.
    And why would we want to hear about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Yeah, good point, didn't think of that.
    I guess it can be a bit hard to tell, but more often than not when a teenager is in their room listening to Marilyn Manson or whatever, it's because they're a) spoilt, b) seeking attention or c) unable to handle their emotions, and only the last one has much to do with depression.
    Either that or they like Marilyn Manson.

Seriously, I think the "spoilt attention-seeker" thing is overblown really. If anything, if someone is so desperate for attention from the outside world that theyturn to acting out in a self-destructive way, that really is a sign of depression. It is worth remembering that there's a significant difference between going through a phase in your life where you are often depressed and suffering from long-term depression as a medical condition, but both are pretty serious things and sitting around and saying "well, that person is just seeking attention" doesn't really help when they wind up doing something stupid, getting expelled from school, committing suicide or whatever else.

It's especially problematic when it becomes a general common attitude that teenagers who behave in certain ways are just being spoilt attention seeking brats, as if there actually is something serious going wrong it could well end up being ignored by those who could do something about it (friends, family, teachers etc).

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Really though, define the difference.
    Isn't 'real depression' a result of chemical imbalances?

Whereas teen angst is the result of, the most trivial things?

Quote Originally Posted by KennyD
    Isn't 'real depression' a result of chemical imbalances?

Whereas teen angst is the result of, the most trivial things?
    Some forms of depression can be caused by actual physical problems yes, but if you've say been sexually abused by your parents from the age of 3 and are a complete emotional mess you don't necessarily have a chemical imbalance or anything of the sort, but you might still suffer from any number of emotional and mental disorders.

Anyway, it's not like they determine whether or not someone suffers from depression by testing their hormone levels or anything.

There have been times in my life where I have felt pretty down when people have knocked me back for jobs and think a lot less about me, then I have been able to tell myself to pull myself together and fire myself up and get angry and go on a "I'll show them" sort of attitude. At least 90% of the time I do.

Probably the reason why I seem to get angry so easily and fired up pretty easy as well.

But with this thread depression is a terrible thing and one of the best ways is to talk about it.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Debutant DJellett's Avatar
    if ur implying i'm like that then get f*cked bcoz i have clinical depression

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information