Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maths Thread

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Couldn't you say that all constants are irrational?
    No. The two things are quite unrelated. Some constants like e and pi are irrational, but not all of them by any means.

Actually that said, I can't actually think of any mathematical constants that are rational, but I'm sure there are some. I know of some physical ones however...

Edit again, i is rational. That said, there is no absolute definition of what is and what isn't a constant, it's more a general term used to describe some numbers and not others. I'm sure an argument could be made that googol/googolplex are constants of sorts and they are both rational.
    Last edited by PhoenixFire; 07-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Couldn't you say that all constants are irrational?
    1 is a constant (the result derived when you divide something by itself)
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Edit again, i is rational.
    No you're not.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Remember though, that physical constants - aren't. They depend completely on your choice of units which is completely arbitrary. (w/ the exception of alpha and its friends)
    Last edited by Spark; 07-09-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    No. The two things are quite unrelated. Some constants like e and pi are irrational, but not all of them by any means.

Actually that said, I can't actually think of any mathematical constants that are rational, but I'm sure there are some. I know of some physical ones however...

Edit again, i is rational. That said, there is no absolute definition of what is and what isn't a constant, it's more a general term used to describe some numbers and not others. I'm sure an argument could be made that googol/googolplex are constants of sorts and they are both rational.
    Am I missing something? i \neq n/m, for any n,m integer, assuming you mean i \equiv \sqrt(-1).

i ain't rational, as the rationals are a subset of the reals.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I appreciated that, even if nobody else did.
    You have made a young man happy

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Question:

What's the difference between an irrational number and a constant?
    Not really an apples v apples comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Remember though, that physical constants - aren't. They depend completely on your choice of units which is completely arbitrary. (w/ the exception of alpha and its friends)
    The units go along with the physical constant - so changing units doesn't change the constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    The units go along with the physical constant - so changing units doesn't change the constant.
    it changes the value of the constant... and the value is the only thing that matters, isn't it?

Again, with the exception of alpha and its friends (i forget what they all are) which are dimensionless, so are completely independent of your units. alpha is always 1/137-point-something regardless if you're in SI, Gaussian, Planck, whatever.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well, no. It's the underlying physical phenomena that matters. The speed of light is the speed of light, regardless of whether you use km or miles...

The inherent quantity doesn't change, just the number you use to express it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

it changes the value of the constant... and the value is the only thing that matters, isn't it?

Again, with the exception of alpha and its friends (i forget what they all are) which are dimensionless, so are completely independent of your units. alpha is always 1/137-point-something regardless if you're in SI, Gaussian, Planck, whatever.
    e.g., mass of proton is 938.2...MeV/c^2 = 0.9382...GeV/c^2 = 1.67...E-27kg. The "numbers" change, the constant doesn't (those equals signs have the usual meaning).

Of course, there is some evidence that physical "constants" change/have changed through time (I'm not advocating that the world is 4000 years old because the decay constant of C14 has changed)

Edit Beaten to it

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, no. It's the underlying physical phenomena that matters. The speed of light is the speed of light, regardless of whether you use km or miles...

The inherent quantity doesn't change, just the number you use to express it.
    yeah but we're talking about the constants themselves here, not what they mean. so to talk about the physical constants as if they have some intractable fixed value is wrong. i mean, for any of those constants c, e, h, G, whatever, i could pick a units system such that it's 1 and dimensionless, which kind of "eliminates" the constant.

it's just a thing we chuck in our equations to make sure they work. but they all have to be consistent with the dimensionless constants, that's the central rule.

yeah but we're talking about the constants themselves here, not what they mean. so to talk about the physical constants as if they have some intractable fixed value is wrong. i mean, for any of those constants c, e, h, G, whatever, i could pick a units system such that it's 1 and dimensionless, which kind of "eliminates" the constant.

it's just a thing we chuck in our equations to make sure they work. but they all have to be consistent with the dimensionless constants, that's the central rule.
    I think we're arguing semantics here. When CDM asked and I said physical constant, I was referring to the 'meaning', rather than a specific number. Obviously (many) constants are things that we just need to fudge our equations with to make them work, and then assign probably 'meanings' to them later on, but in other cases, it is still a fundamental quantity that means something. G might be 'chucked in', but c has a much more concrete meaning.

BTW, natural units FTL.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Of course, there is some evidence that physical "constants" change/have changed through time (I'm not advocating that the world is 4000 years old because the decay constant of C14 has changed)
    Sure you aren't. Get away from me.

It was hilariously epic when the news came out that c may not have always been c. Millions of creationists became faux-physicists for a day and waxed poetically for weeks.

Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information