Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Elections..!

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar

New Zealand Elections..!

Well Helen Clarke the PM has announced the elections dates to be set for September 17th..

For some reason i dont think Labour might get another term.. but then again they well could.. but im eager for a change and the thing is there is no other suitable change.. i cant stand Nationals rep Don Brash.. What do many of the people think of the labours tax cut policy and to write of student loan interests etc.. Discuss on..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Tim
    Labours tax policy is rubbish, its going to run us into the ground.

For example if you're earning $60 000, you end up being worse off than someone earning $55 000. Thats not right.

Im unsure about Don Brash as prime-minister..but National are making more sense if you ask me.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    indeed. the jump from 33 cents to 39 cents for people earning over $60,000 is ridiculous...
    "Matt Damon"

The Labour Student Loan policy is impressive, but quite funny that for years they've said writing off the interest of student loans was "impossible" and now as soon as the campaign has started they suddenly discover a few million dollars to spare.

Don Brash as Prime Minister would be a rather frightening proposition to be honest. Helen isn't great but as far as I'm concerned she's the lesser of two evils. She is getting a bit complacent though.

I'd like Labour's coalition partners to get a few more seats, that way they can push for a deal with Labour in which they get more seats in Cabinet and keep some of the useless Labour ministers out (Mallard, Benson-Pope, Hawkins).

ed, i'm concerned at the craziness of some of those coalition partners to be honest. the greens and their anti smacking bill and their generally wackiness. the maori party has some policy whereby maoris getting their super annuation or pension payments 5 years before everyone else, based on the fact they don't live as long.

tbh, I'd prefer Brash or Peters to be our Prime Minister. Labour talk too much bullsh*t for mine. If you ask me they tend operate in a way in which they think they will be able to re-elected. they don't always do whats right. although then most politicians do this. damit,

don brash's scheme which would end race related funding i like. makes sense to me to be honest.

The student loan thing, will mean that from next semester people will not have part time jobs, and will rack up loans but never pay them back. As I have just finished study, I see that the point of working and getting a better transfer to the real world was important for me, but will not occur for future students under a labour led govt.

In my NZ Politics class last week we looked at an interesting hypothetical situation based on latest poll results for the Election, the numbers being the number of seats won:

Labour-led coalition: Labour 47, Green 7, Maori 7, Progressive 1. Total: 62
    National-led coalition (can't actually remember how this went, will estimate): National 50, NZ First 12. Total: 62

Both would need United Future's 1 seat won by Peter Dunne.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    For example if you're earning $60 000, you end up being worse off than someone earning $55 000. Thats not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    indeed. the jump from 33 cents to 39 cents for people earning over $60,000 is ridiculous...
    Tim, how does that work? I know that in Australia, it's only every dollar that you earn over $60 000 that is taxed at the higher rate, therefore you're still better off earning more money. Or does it become sort of retrospective, and once you earn over $60 000, that whole amount is taxed at 39 cents in the dollar?

Anyways, you're doing alright in NZ. Here it's 47c in the dollar at around $60 000, although I think that the threshold is going up to about $70k or $80k in the next few years.

Winston Peters is still playin the KingMaker on NZ First.. so ed you cant be too sure if he will side with National.. i think hes got a soft side for Labour.. but their immigration policies are quite the opposite of his..

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    In my NZ Politics class last week we looked at an interesting hypothetical situation based on latest poll results for the Election, the numbers being the number of seats won:

Labour-led coalition: Labour 47, Green 7, Maori 7, Progressive 1. Total: 62
    National-led coalition (can't actually remember how this went, will estimate): National 50, NZ First 12. Total: 62

Both would need United Future's 1 seat won by Peter Dunne.
    considering that there are only 120 seats in the NZ parliament i find these all a bit perplexing, ed

Nibbs u at uni?

Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    considering that there are only 120 seats in the NZ parliament i find these all a bit perplexing, ed
    That's called overhang, when a party wins more electorate seats than they win party vote. This will happen this election with the Maori Party, United Future and Progressive. On current poll results there will be 124 seats.

I think Labour will get back in. The economy is very strong and stable at the moment and people are scheptical of Brash

It looks to me as though Labour will win the election. I'm sure there will be a big number of poor uninformed students who heard about the loan policy and will vote Labour just on that fact, and that might be the difference. National's loan policy was little more than a token gesture IMO and that will cost them a lot of the student vote.

As for who I will vote for, I really don't know. The Greens' anti-smacking bill is PC rubbish if you ask me, but I agree with some of their other policies. ACT have been dropping propaganda all over university about their tax policies and how the country is going to the dogs if Winston Peters supports a victorious National led coalition (or even Labour for that matter). On the subject of NZ First, I liked that p*ss-take in Craccum of their website. Rather amusing.

I thought Don Brash was holding out from revealing his policies just until 4 weeks before the election?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information