Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Cooks in the hizzouse?

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar

Icon6 Any Cooks in the hizzouse?

hizzouse=house..

I hope im not disappointed.. im sure there is a lot of hidden talent of cookin skills within members here... I'll admit i am a pretty good cook.. still learning new things, upgrading skills like any top notch cook would aim for.. I dont know why i enjoy cookin.. i think its not just firstly because im really hungry (remembers back to college days when my brah's and me would be really blazed) and that drives me to create somethin really good and filling.. but also the satisfaction of seein other people happy with what their eating. Also.. i feel it gets me real calm , with the music playin pumpin and cookin ..I think my ma has a lot to do with the influence.. she is a pretty damn good cook.. and ive always enjoyed helpin her..

ive created this cause with the variety of cultures etc on here.. im keen to share and hear of some personal recipes etc.. and why people generally enjoy cookin.. (please also when sharing some recipes on request only give success recipes lol)

Btw ladies love a man who cooks.. better believe that player..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Breakout Champion!
    Do 3 minute noodles and boiled eggs count as cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    3 Minute Noodles? I always thought you English were slow...

I'm not the massive cook, but I do enjoy the rare occassions that I have a crack. Rumour is that Top_Cat is quite the culinary expert

yes.. thats the newbie stage.. if you have accomplished that several times successfully you are on the right path..

I reckon cooking is like an easy - and one of the best - ways of 'giving'. Your good deed for the day

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I'm not the massive cook, but I do enjoy the rare occassions that I have a crack. Rumour is that Top_Cat is quite the culinary expert
    Hah! Only because I told you that!

Well, in the spirit of the thread, here's something for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Breakfast (not cooking but a recipe nonetheless);

100g Organic linseeds
    100g Organic sunflower seeds
    100g Organic pumpkin seeds
    400g Organic, non-toasted oats

1) Mix these together with enough organic rice milk to cover the mixture.
    2) Leave to soak overnight (fridge).
    3) In the morning, add;

100g Blanched almonds
    100g Walnut kernels
    75g Brazil nuts (can be substituted with macadamias)

4) Mix well and then you have at least's a week's worth of breakfast. Make sure to refrigerate because the rice milk won't last too much longer than a week.

The why's of the ingredients;

- This is a diagnostic breakfast; eat it 'as is' at first because what you feel you need to add to make it palatable is probably what you're getting too much of in your diet (for example, if it's not sweet enough, you're getting too much sugar in your diet). If you want to make it sweeter, use honey instead of sugar.

- The seeds give you the most of the essential amino acids and roughage, the oats help digestion as well as lower the glycemic index of the meal (complex stuff takes longer to digest) and the nuts give proteins and just enough fats to give you energy. The rice milk gives you energy too because the rest of the ingredients are pretty light-on in the carbohydrate department and you need them.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 25-07-2005 at 08:39 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Lunch

Pumpkin and sweet potato soup

Ingredients;

Half a butternut pumpkin
    A full yam of sweet potato
    About 100ml of milk (or goat's milk if you're lactose intolerant)
    About 1/3 cup of sour cream
    Six or seven sticks of asparagus
    1/2 cup of corn kernels

1) Steam the pumpkin, sweet potato and asparagus.
    2) Stab mix or blend using a food processor, slowly adding the milk and sour cream. Either way, it needs to be puree so if that's not enough milk, add little bits gradually until the texture is consistent. Add corn.
    3) Pu the mixture back on slow heat. You don't want too much heat or you'll burn the bottom.
    3) Add pepper and other fresh aromatic spices like oregano last once the mixture is almost ready to serve.

Sweet potato is a staple of Papua New Guinean cultures and offers proteins and essential fats without being too carb heavy. Plus, it's a low GI food so it'll fill you up.

Anyone got a mean recipe on Lasagne? mine isint too bad but i want to compare it to someone elses who could have an even better one..

Dinner

Here's my recipe for those with a dinner partner who's allergic to everything (yes, I've had one of those). It's quick, dead easy and extremely healthy but damn tasty.

Veggie/anti-allergy Zucchini bake

1) Need about 3 different vegetables of varying colours. Pick fleshy vegetables like capsicum, eggplant and mushroom and cut them into chunks. Spanish onions are a great addition too.
    2) Shred or grate a whole zucchini and a whole carrot. Add 1/3 cup of corn kernels and if you want some meat, a medium can of tuna does the job nicely.
    3) Mix everything together
    4) Add a cup of chickpea flour (pretty easy to get hold of) to three eggs and whisk or use a fork to break up the yolks.
    5) Mix that in with the vegetables. Use your clean hands to mix together and make it all slimy (trust me, its fun). Make sure the mix is very thorough.
    4) Put in the oven for around 25-30 mins on about 170 degrees C. You want a relatively slow cook but once the veges on top start to turn a bit brown, it's getting pretty well done.

I love to cook... and yeh if im on my own and im not online im normally cooking something... drives my mom crazy coz she buys something one day and its all gone coz ive used it for something (oops lol)... And yeh Reubs a woman knows a man who can cook so guys if u want the best girls start cooking
    February 10th 2009 <3
    Rest In Peace Fardin
    Rest In Peace Sazza

Here's a drink I told vic_orthdox about; it was a HUGE HUGE hit at a party I went to on Friday. People were lining up, it was like liquid Tomacco.

Rum Egg Nog

Ingredients:

4 eggs
    1/3 cup of brown sugar
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1 & 1/2 cups of milk
    300ml Rum
    1 tspoon of vanilla extract
    Half a tspoon of ground cloves
    Half a tspoon of cinnamin

1) Mix eggs with sugar and beat/whisk THOROUGHLY.
    2) Mix mixture with milk and cream and mix VERY thoroughly. Put on heat and SLOWLY heat up until the mixture starts getting a little thicker.
    3) Once that happens (around 15 mins on med heat), take off heat and add rum, vanilla, cloves and cinnamin. Heat whilst stirring for about 5 mins and then it's ready to serve. Serve warm or cold, either way it's all good baby. I don't drink generally but I had some of this and it was yummy.

One thing; when heating up the initial mixture of eggs, sugar, milk and cream, make sure it doesn't get hot; you're trying to slowly cook the eggs enough to thicken the mixture but if you cook too much, you'll end up with scrambled egg nog. Mind you, it'd be damn creamy scrambled eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by lord_of_darkness
    Anyone got a mean recipe on Lasagne? mine isint too bad but i want to compare it to someone elses who could have an even better one..
    My Mum makes a mean ... not lasagne, what's the Greek one with eggplant in it called again? Mousaka?

And T_C, problem in our house is finding Rum that Mum hasn't gotten stuck into yet.

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    im good at cooking pizzas in the sandwich maker.....

Pinball Champion!
    I can only do a mean braai (or "barbie" if you have a serious problem and think that sounds gay)
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information