Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Harry Potter good or bad for children?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Tom Moody's Avatar

Icon14 Is Harry Potter good or bad for children?

IMO, bad. I'm a devout Buddhist, and I'm aghast that heretical nonsense like this is allowed to infest the imaginations of our youth. There'll definitely be no talk of magic and the pagan arts in my household when I'm lucky enough to be a father; or tv. Personally, I can't wait for the next one to come out, I was really disappointed with the last one!

(Pretty much) Anything that gets lots of kids reading again = good, in my books (pardon the pun )

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    ^ That's a terrible parenthood technique.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Tom Moody's Avatar
    I agree, Mr Mxyzptlk. Vic Orthdox, you're heading for disaster with that policy.

Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. There are far worse things on tv and video games that show way more dangerous and influential things than the Harry Potter books.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Kids who read Harry Potter and eventually move onto more challenging material = good.

Kids who are Harry Potter fans to the extent that they read nothing else and when they're not reading Harry Potter they're waiting for the next Harry Potter book to come out, are pestering their parents to buy the merchandise, are reading the books over and over again or are watching the film = very bad.

Personally, they're not my thing. I find them pretty trite and one-dimensional, even taking into account that they are kids books.

The movies; first two were atrocious and the third was a huge surprise; was actually pretty good but then it was directed by Alfonso Cuaron. If he couldn't make it good, no-one would have been able to! I figure the fact that a lot of Harry Potter fans didn't like the 3rd film was a huge plus.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 14-07-2005 at 10:34 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Vic, dont listen to those foo!s!

Harry Potter is great! Its a fantasy world for crissakes. Its just a story. So all those people who say its heretical and paganistic, get over yourself! Dont take it so seriously. Remember, its just a good book of fiction with an imaginative story.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    ^ That's a terrible parenthood technique.
    I'm not talking about reading as a parenthood technique. Just a lot of kids (boys especially) that I have had something to do with have fallen away in their reading once they reach their teen years, or have never been that interested in it in the first place, and has a detrimental effect on their literacy skills.

Actually, I myself have never read a Harry Potter book. And I only saw one of the movies when I accidentally walked into the wrong theatre number, and by the time I realised it wasn't a preview it was half an hour in.

Hey, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, I know...

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD
    Vic, dont listen to those foo!s!

Harry Potter is great! Its a fantasy world for crissakes. Its just a story. So all those people who say its heretical and paganistic, get over yourself! Dont take it so seriously. Remember, its just a good book of fiction with an imaginative story.
    Exactly. I personally like them :P
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    I agree with Jack. If it gets kids reading books, then great. The majority of them know its just a fantasy world, and thats why they love it, and its not as if its the first of its kind. Once they start leaning over a cauldron, then some issues arise..

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    HP is awesome, ive seen the movies around 30 times in total and read the first 5 books twice each, i cant see how it could be bad for children, its not as if its real and its not even violent! imo its good for kids imaginations...

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Kids who read Harry Potter and eventually move onto more challenging material = good.

Kids who are Harry Potter fans to the extent that they read nothing else and when they're not reading Harry Potter they're waiting for the next Harry Potter book to come out, are pestering their parents to buy the merchandise, are reading the books over and over again or are watching the film = very bad.

Personally, they're not my thing. I find them pretty trite and one-dimensional, even taking into account that they are kids books.
    Agreed completely.
    Unfortunately, I think many kids who read Harry Potter are of the latter variety and never move onto more challenging material and actual literature. Many kids would be reading it because it's the "in" thing.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    Its not my thing.. but jesus christ it isint Playboy so let the kids read em..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i reakon its fantastic, heaps of kids who wouldn't usually read are reading.

as for the magic and stuff like that - its a story, a good one, it encourages the use of kids imagination. but as fro effecting peoples faith - i dont think so.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Is Harry Potter good or bad for children?

Define children

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information