Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best investment advice?

Best investment advice?

As with my plan is coming along, in the next two or three months I intend to take the biggest gamble of my life and invest in the stock market with at least $5000 hot in my pocket ready to play around with.

I am leaning towards going towards high risk options to try and to get a better return on my cash, but I want to go and invest an amount in low risk options as a back up plan so if the high risk fail, whilst I will be unhappy - I haven't lost all my money.

So what are some of the best high risk options and some of the best low risk options as well? I already know about Woolworths and are definatly an option.

As you probably already know I am an Inter Milan supporter and want to try and buy some shares in the club so at least I can say whilst I live half way around the world I am still putting into my club. Although I'm not sure as how I would go about it, especially if my stokebroker isn't Italian or doesn't speak Italian.

Or I could just hold out and buy a house and take advantage of the market which is ripe for the picking, the problem is that I don't feel I am ready to cope with a big mortage nor with the stress that comes with it.

Thoughts?

All options/ideas/advice will be listened too.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    in my opinion, you gotta invest in telecommunications like telstra. craig, look out for business that are on the rise and about to list on the stock exchange. definitely worth a look
    "Matt Damon"

Hexxagon Champion!
    IPOs with solid backings are the safest bet IMO.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    in my opinion, you gotta invest in telecommunications like telstra. craig, look out for business that are on the rise and about to list on the stock exchange. definitely worth a look
    Telstra is the one company not to invest in.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Get a professional fund manager to do it for you.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

$5,000, that's about a tenner in stirling, right?!

Best investment advice I'd give is to stop drinking! God, I'd be a millionaire by now.....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

PY
    Stick the money in a high interest account while you decide.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Only advice I can give is be prepared to lose it all, and then any you don't lose is a bonus!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    As with my plan is coming along, in the next two or three months I intend to take the biggest gamble of my life and invest in the stock market with at least $5000 hot in my pocket ready to play around with.

I am leaning towards going towards high risk options to try and to get a better return on my cash, but I want to go and invest an amount in low risk options as a back up plan so if the high risk fail, whilst I will be unhappy - I haven't lost all my money.

So what are some of the best high risk options and some of the best low risk options as well? I already know about Woolworths and are definatly an option.

As you probably already know I am an Inter Milan supporter and want to try and buy some shares in the club so at least I can say whilst I live half way around the world I am still putting into my club. Although I'm not sure as how I would go about it, especially if my stokebroker isn't Italian or doesn't speak Italian.

Or I could just hold out and buy a house and take advantage of the market which is ripe for the picking, the problem is that I don't feel I am ready to cope with a big mortage nor with the stress that comes with it.

Thoughts?

All options/ideas/advice will be listened too.

If u want a hot stock at the moment try victoria peteroleum. Code name VPE on the aussie stockmarket. It is currently undervalued and its share price has gone down due to the change over for the financial year. High risk stock although no real chance of it going bust as it has the liquidity and finances to keep itself afloat. I have made a lot of money on this stock and due to its low price and specualtion will result in a 20-30% increase or decrease in the share price in one day. It has like 10 new projects planned for the next few months so its defnetly a share to watch. Another one for high risk high returns in PRE and AUM both are energy mining shares which have huge fluctuations in share price but have the assets to stock it from going bust. Its difeniantly worth investing in the stock market. I started investing when i was 14 with 5000 and now 3 years later i have 25000 in stocks and i have been able to purchase my computer and my car with money made from it. Not that id reccomend it, but if your game, put your money all in a high risk share with a share price below 5 cents and as soon as it goes up .2 or a cent sell. U will make a lot of money. Well thats what i did anyway.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    $5,000, that's about a tenner in stirling, right?!

Best investment advice I'd give is to stop drinking! God, I'd be a millionaire by now.....
    If you're in Zimbo!

Best thing I can think of, is see what property prices are doing... They usually rise faster on the coastal regions near up and coming holiday resorts... Our house has doubled in value in three years and we can afford to sell up and buy a house in SA with the profit..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    If you're in Zimbo!

Best thing I can think of, is see what property prices are doing... They usually rise faster on the coastal regions near up and coming holiday resorts... Our house has doubled in value in three years and we can afford to sell up and buy a house in SA with the profit..
    Bit hard to do with $5 000

You should see the recommendation some user gave on their first post, how her and her husband had made all this money from some stock...

I believe she was promptly banned.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Before this thread goes any further, can we please ensure that nobody works for or has any non-investment dealings with any companies they give advice about? That sort of conduct is referred to as 'insider trading' and is covered under Commonwealth law, the Corporations Act 2001.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...act/ca2001172/

Okay that settled, my best piece of financial investment advice to you Craig would be to not ask a cricket forum for advice.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

State Vice-Captain Umpire Money's Avatar
    As an accountant with a degree in Accounting and Finance I probably know a little here(those are my creditals)

The best advice i can give is to diverse your portfolio. This will lower the risks and hopefully increase the gains.
    (I know with $5000 it could be hard but this is a good start, I would kill for $5000)
    The way you invest is different to the person, but if you want to stay in the market for a while the best way to invest is in large corporations which are well known and well establishedand you will know they will go up(statistics show shares will go up faster than property if you stay in the market). Banks are the way to go here.

Then there is the risk taker who will go for the quick buck. The thing is to do your research here...alot of it. Any profit here is good. But the best thing to do is to stay in it. and again do the research.

The best thing to do is to lower the risk of the "risk taker" by going into a well established corp while in the quick buck bit.

Just the last thing, know your limits. Its a bit of a gamble so only put in what you are willing to lose.

Remember the capital gain implications as well if you have the stock for less than a year the government are taxing the whole gain.

If you have any questions I will try and answer them(if your willing)
    You have just read a post from Jason Pike, he is what you wish you were

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    I just went to QUT today and went to a lecture called "Investing for the furure".

I slpet through most of it, but I do recall him saying something about spreading the stocks around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    If your new to the stock market do a little research on the companies and their stock market history. Then before investing ur hard earned go here: https://www9.asx.com.au/Smg/CharityInfo?id=882. Here you can play a stock exchange game, just like real life but without the risk of losing ur money. Here you can learn many aspect of the asx and get some experience. Also if u do well u can win $5000 anyway.

If you want to go ahead and invest i would reccommend Blue chip stocks only!
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information