Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleverest lyric?

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Heard some nice lyrics at the Old Trafford Ashes test.
    The best one i heard was

'we all live in a convict colony, a convict colony, a convict colony'

to the tune of yellow submarine by the beatles.

It took me the whole afternoon session to realise what they were saying though, i was in the boring members stand.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    You've only got to look at the reaction when they play this song live to show how much some kids identify with it - on their Live DVD, "Bullet In A Bible", they actually show a few guys, who look about 16/17, breaking down in tears in the crowd.

That could just be because we were stood on the right hand embankment launching empty bottles at the sad emo kids, might have hit one of them, hence the tears.

Seriously though, amazing gig. They actually changed their set list for the first time in years! (not much though, could still predict the next song half the time)

As for them just jumping on the we hate bush bandwagon.... There music has always had to some extent a social commentary. Current issue is Bush, so he's bound to figure. Ok so there not usually political, but y'know, all of a sudden politics has become a major issue in America, more so than it was during the 80's and 90's, hence why its crept in. Its the same for many other punk bands, especially the likes of NoFX, Dropkick Murphy's.... Punks always had a fair share of political messages, and people like Green Day grew up listening to them, and wanting to emulate them, so why call them when they do pick up on an issue they care about? The fact that its become hugely successfull isnt anything against them, infact its just proof that they arnt just jumping on a bandwagon, given they risked their behinds to make the album, which they thought was going to flop badly
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    The best one i heard was

'we all live in a convict colony, a convict colony, a convict colony'

to the tune of yellow submarine by the beatles.

It took me the whole afternoon session to realise what they were saying though, i was in the boring members stand.
    Brett Lee gave us a round of applause for that one at the Oval.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity

How can anyone think Greenday aren't just a load of easy-marketable trash?

They're just jumping on the 'we hate everyone, especialy George Bush' bandwagon.
    yes i concur, i used to have time for them before all this anti bush crap, they have sold out in a big way, stupid billie joe, ******.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr
    Seriously though, amazing gig. They actually changed their set list for the first time in years!
    Bearing in mind American Idiot was released in the last 18 months or so, how is it years since they changed it?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

cpr
    yeah fair enough they chucked American Idiot in at the start of the set back in 2004, then preceded with the same set as usual.

Anyone who's seen Green Day more than once before that Milton Keynes gig will vouch that the setlist was pretty much the same each time. Same order, everything. Only at Milton Keynes did they change it (purely because it was to be released live.... even on the tour in the January before they hadnt included more than 2 songs off American Idiot)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

How can anyone think Greenday aren't just a load of easy-marketable trash?

They're just jumping on the 'we hate everyone, especialy George Bush' bandwagon.
    Agreed. Greenday used to be good though.

I wouldn't say they've sold out. They've just jumped the shark in my opinion. Still, their music means something to some people, so I can't discredit it as good. It's just not good in my opinion. It's amazing that what is (IMO) their weakest stuff has won them the most recognition, awards and album sales. Last year some called them the biggest rock band in the world, which was not far off the truth, if only totally undeserved.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Agreed 100%. Whenever I hear that part I crack up. It's meant to be his daughter speaking.

Just take another pill, yeah I bet you will, you rap about it, yeah, word, k-keep it real.

Hahahaha, so ********
    Why?

"The boys they want to sex me..."

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Maybe not the cleverest lyric, but they're bloody powerful.

"Itís never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
    Itís never over, all my riches for her smiles when I slept so soft against her
    Itís never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
    Itís never over, sheís the tear that hangs inside my soul forever"
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    Dig, dig! Just thought this particular bit of Lover, You Should've Come Over by Jeff Buckley deserved a mention. The whole song is fantastic though.
    Could have at least waited till we were onto the next page, Rich.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    I'll vote for The Smith's The Queen Is Dead.

So I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said "Hey, I know you and you cannot sing"
    I said "That's nothing you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Could have at least waited till we were onto the next page, Rich.

First Class Debutant cric_manic's Avatar
    Cleverest Lyric:"Insane In The Brain!"

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr
    As for them just jumping on the we hate bush bandwagon.... There music has always had to some extent a social commentary. Current issue is Bush, so he's bound to figure. Ok so there not usually political, but y'know, all of a sudden politics has become a major issue in America, more so than it was during the 80's and 90's, hence why its crept in. Its the same for many other punk bands, especially the likes of NoFX, Dropkick Murphy's.... Punks always had a fair share of political messages, and people like Green Day grew up listening to them, and wanting to emulate them, so why call them when they do pick up on an issue they care about? The fact that its become hugely successfull isnt anything against them, infact its just proof that they arnt just jumping on a bandwagon, given they risked their behinds to make the album, which they thought was going to flop badly
    Green day aren't punk in the slightest, comparing them to NoFX is like comparing Led Zeppelin to Good Charlotte

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information