Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be The Government...

Be The Government...

Now, this is not a statement on my thought of abortion, but this was an interesting exercise that someone gave to a few of us at a leadership conference thing. Now, this is just from memory, so if it turns out I'm technically wrong with the situation, then so be it. The gist of the idea remains...

A young mother is about to have her eighth child. Of the previous seven, three have serious mental disabilities, two are deaf and one of those deaf children are also blind. She has had these babies to a number of different fathers, as many as 6. She has found to have syphillis as she readies for birth. Already, the government is becoming agitated at this case, having been highlighted on current affairs shows on how she has been sucking up government payouts through funds for being a single mother, which increase each time she has a child, as well as these children having problems requiring further cash.

The idea that government could force the child to be terminated, because of the high likelihood that the child will have some sort of disability has been raised. Worries about the quality of the life of the children have been raised, one mother having to care for so many children with so many needs, and "recklessly" getting pregnant. You, as the Minister for Social Services, have been lumped with the task of whether or not to enforce termination, the other option to be let the child be born (obviously)....

What Do You Do??

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Think you should delete that extra snippet and see the responses first!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    im against abortion in all forms (it is murder) with exceptions in cases or rape. If the mother wishes to behave that way than that is her choice.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    im against abortion in all forms (it is murder) with exceptions in cases or rape. If the mother wishes to behave that way than that is her choice.
    that sounds very much like your saying its all the woman's fault. they might be pressured into it, or be practicing safe-sex.

anyway, in my opinion the mother wants an abortion, and the father (if he should be in a position to have a say [ie. didn't rape or abuse the mother]) agrees, then she can.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I'm pro-choice so therefore the number of kids to have, etc. is the choice of the parents or in the absence of a father, the mother. I understand the 'drain the government' argument but it's the stereotypical 'slippery slope'. For mine, within reason, any government should avoid making a value-judgement on the lives of its citizens as much possible unless that value judgement is productive, not destructive.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Breakout Champion!
    Exactly

(that was very catholic-ish of you, Age )

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    I'm pro-choice so therefore the number of kids to have, etc. is the choice of the parents or in the absence of a father, the mother. I understand the 'drain the government' argument but it's the stereotypical 'slippery slope'. For mine, within reason, any government should avoid making a value-judgement on the lives of its citizens as much possible unless that value judgement is productive, not destructive.
    Agreed.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    But why should the state fund them?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hexxagon Champion!
    I know who this eighth child is you are referring to, so I'll just shut up.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    I know who this eighth child is you are referring to, so I'll just shut up.
    I've read it before too, but I can't recall who the child grew up to be. Gaaah!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Agreed.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Exactly

(that was very catholic-ish of you, Age )
    If it was more catholic-ish he wouldn't have included the bit about rape, and instead let all women be not allowed abortion.

My decision is to allow the women, and women alone (no men involved), to make the decision whether to abort or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD
    If it was more catholic-ish he wouldn't have included the bit about rape, and instead let all women be not allowed abortion.

My decision is to allow the women, and women alone (no men involved), to make the decision whether to abort or whatever.
    I dont know whether we should be going into this now, but are you not in favour of the father having a say in certain circumstances ? Its his child too.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    But why should the state fund them?
    without government funding they would be completley stuffed. i dontr know about other places but in Australia Gievrnment finding isnt' actually that high considering that she had 8 kids and it had to go that many ways i would say that they would be around the poverty line still which isn't a very high standard of living.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    I dont know whether we should be going into this now, but are you not in favour of the father having a say in certain circumstances ? Its his child too.
    I don't think the father should get a say in the decision to abort, simply because it's a decision that involves the body of the woman and not him. To put it another way, if the father had a say, he would (assuming there was disagreement) either be telling the mother to abort a child she wanted to have, or telling her to have a child when she didn't want to, neither of which is reasonable, given that it is her body and anybody else telling her what she can or cannot do with it is clearly unfair.

I do think however that fathers should have a legal option to opt-out of parental responsibility during the period in which an abortion is still legally obtainable. If a woman becomes pregnant unintentionally she has the option to abort, have the child and put it up for adoption, or keep the child and care for it. A father has, for all intents and purposes, no options. A father who opted out of parental responsiblity would obviously have to sign a document precluding any parental rights as well, similar to a mother who puts a child up for adoption.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information