Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: RSS feeds

  1. #1
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839

    RSS feeds

    I saw cricinfo announcing it and BBC sport has it.

    What is it and how can I use it.

  2. #2
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,438
    From one of your favorite websites,

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rss_feed



  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839
    Okay I have figured out RSS feeds and its very convenient.

    For people using these feeds, which ones are you using?

    I am currently :-

    SMH sport
    BBC Sport
    BBC cricket
    BBC World News

    finding others as it will really save a lot of time browsing

  4. #4
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    I only have the RSS feeds for Latest News from BBC, the default one that Firefox sets.

    I never really understood the point for RSS feeds though, only for those with broadband though. Doesn't really take much time for me to go on a site and check if it's updated.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839
    It is much more convenient and saves a lot of time. I am finding it out with the RSS reader.

    Suppose there are 4 news papers you read. The Indian Express, x, y and z. Now rather than going to the sites, if its in the reader it is much better.

    If you have very little time and have to rush through important news from the sites you visit, you can see the headlines at one glance, click on the news you feel are vital.

    This is why it is becoming so popular. Even cricinfo is starting the RSS feeds and will be doing various feeds for country specific etc.

  6. #6
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    It is much more convenient and saves a lot of time. I am finding it out with the RSS reader.

    Suppose there are 4 news papers you read. The Indian Express, x, y and z. Now rather than going to the sites, if its in the reader it is much better.

    If you have very little time and have to rush through important news from the sites you visit, you can see the headlines at one glance, click on the news you feel are vital.

    This is why it is becoming so popular. Even cricinfo is starting the RSS feeds and will be doing various feeds for country specific etc.
    Because with Firefox and my broadband, I can open all four newspaper sites in one window and at a lightening fast speed.

    RSS is definitely useful if you've a very slow connection, and you want to check lots of sites, and thus can click only the stuff you care about, but I myself haven't found the need for it.

    Plus, if you're seriously interested in browsing through RSS though, there's no better option than Firefox.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep
    Because with Firefox and my broadband, I can open all four newspaper sites in one window and at a lightening fast speed.
    Its not a matter of slow or fast conenction. My connection is pretty fast. The thing is what if I dont want to take the trouble of opening 5-10 different sites.

    And I would love to use firefox but as I have already mentioned to you, its installer doesnt work on my crappy system.

  8. #8
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Its not a matter of slow or fast conenction. My connection is pretty fast. The thing is what if I dont want to take the trouble of opening 5-10 different sites.

    And I would love to use firefox but as I have already mentioned to you, its installer doesnt work on my crappy system.
    It's not really a trouble when I can open 5-10 sites with just one click, yes one click, on Firefox.

    I'd suggest buying a new system, just to get Firefox, it's definitely worth. Although, you should pay me the Rs. 1,00,000 you owe me first.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep
    It's not really a trouble when I can open 5-10 sites with just one click, yes one click, on Firefox.

    I'd suggest buying a new system, just to get Firefox, it's definitely worth. Although, you should pay me the Rs. 1,00,000 you owe me first.
    Dude all my money is yours as I dont have any. I told you that so many times

    I dont want to open 5-10 sites. I can do that with 1 click even when I add them on my favourites. All the news from the 10 sites comes on one RSS reader. That way I dont have to even click 10 times. I just click on news which I want to see and the browser opens the concerned sites.

    Yes I would love to try firefox. A new pc is being purchased infact so I will try it soon. Too bad I cant always as my PC will remain this one

  10. #10
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    I dont want to open 5-10 sites. I can do that with 1 click even when I add them on my favourites. All the news from the 10 sites comes on one RSS reader. That way I dont have to even click 10 times. I just click on news which I want to see and the browser opens the concerned sites.(
    It's good to give your fingers some exercise.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Its not a matter of slow or fast conenction. My connection is pretty fast. The thing is what if I dont want to take the trouble of opening 5-10 different sites.

    And I would love to use firefox but as I have already mentioned to you, its installer doesnt work on my crappy system.
    Exactly RSS is not related to slow/fast connection. It's basically offers you a choice of not having to go to 20 different sites to look for the stuff you want to read.

    Firefox is okay, I dont find it great. Plus I would never use it to check my bank accounts

  12. #12
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Exactly RSS is not related to slow/fast connection. It's basically offers you a choice of not having to go to 20 different sites to look for the stuff you want to read.

    Firefox is okay, I dont find it great. Plus I would never use it to check my bank accounts
    Usually, it's the slow connection that's the cause of annoyance in checking out 20 different sites. With a fast connection, one wouldn't really mind checking all the sites, not me at least.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839
    okay the RSS channels I have put and am continuing for the time being :

    BBC Sport
    BBC cricket
    BBC news
    Indian express latest news
    Indian express newspaper
    Financial express newspaper
    Wikinews
    Wiki daily feature article
    CNNsi NBA
    Yahoo world football
    Yahoo NBA news
    Sydney morning herald sports news
    CNN world news
    Neil's blog

    Now how many would I realistically be able to check on a daily basis even if I had them on my favourites? I always like checking out smh's sports section. But I am hardly able to do it more than once a week.

    RSS is MUCH more convenient according to me.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,839

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep
    Usually, it's the slow connection that's the cause of annoyance in checking out 20 different sites. With a fast connection, one wouldn't really mind checking all the sites, not me at least.
    Not Really. Some dont have time to go through all the sites searching for the content they want to read, some want to avoid the front page of a website for various reasons (e.g. Popups) etc.

    Here is one example :-Let's assume that James, being the owner of this site wants to find out all the posts addressed to him. Now one way to do is go through all the posts since his last visit and another way is to use RSS FEED, all he needs to do is create a plugin for his nick and that's it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •