Thread: Super Spider

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Super Spider

This report was in todays SMH.

Incy wincy terror
    May 2, 2005

British hospital staff have released one of the world's deadliest spiders on hospital grounds, after the chef it bit on the hand took it with him when seeking treatment.

Agence France-Presse reports that hospital staff in Somerset released the Brazilian wandering spider, deadlier than a black widow and known for its speed and aggression, after mistaking it for an everyday garden-variety arachnid.

The spider normally lives in more tropical climes but is thought to have arrived in England in a box of bananas.

The 13-centimetre creature bit the chef, Matthew Stevens, twice on the hand in his pub kitchen last month in Bridgwater in Somerset. Mr Stevens, 23, photographed the spider with his mobile phone, thinking it dead after it had fallen in the freezer and been stunned by the cold. Just to make sure, he poured boiling water over the spider and placed it in a jar, The Times reported. Later he also cooked the spider in the microwave.

But by the time Mr Stevens was taken to hospital, dizzy and shaking and with his hand badly swollen, the spider had shaken off the ill treatment and was up and moving again, struggling to get out of the jar.

It was taken with Mr Stevens to the hospital, and then inadvertently released.

The photo Mr Stevens took with his mobile phone was sent to Bristol Zoo in western England, where experts identified the spider while doctors treated the cook with oxygen and a saline drip.

He was released a day later.

Officials at the hospital said the Brazilian wandering spider was unlikely to pose a risk to public health since it "would have died very soon after being released" because of the cold.

They did not explain why this seemingly indestructible monster, which had survived microwaving, freezing and boiling water, would feel compelled to curl up and die after a stroll in the Somerset countryside.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Must because Somerset is so boring that it topped itself rather than spend any more time there!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Amazing story.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Pinball Champion!
    Um, right, I guess he would have been treated at Musgrove Park which is about 1km away from me.. OMG AAAAGH SPIDER!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i still cant believe it survived the boiling water soon after the freezer, hat eto think what it will take to kill it.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    i still cant believe it survived the boiling water soon after the freezer, hat eto think what it will take to kill it.
    Well its about 13C at night and 23C in the day at the moment, so it won't be the weather! I'm scared!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    i cant believe it survived being microwaved!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Thread Information