Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your family been affected by war ?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Has your family been affected by war ?

I'd like to know if and of your relatives or indeed yourself has seen military service or been affected by conflict in some manner ?

Mine has:
    - Father served as a navigator on an Mi-24 Hind gunship in Afghanistan during the 80's.
    - My grandfather (maternal side) fought and died at Stalingrad during WW2.
    - Grandfather (paternal) was in the Soviet army in WW2 as well.
    - An Uncle (on my mother's side - I'm part English) was in the British army in North Africa.
    I myself served six months in the Federal Russian Army as a conscript -- we have compulsory military service in our country.
    Last edited by Spetsnatz; 24-04-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Wow, your family has been affected a lot.

My grandmother (paternal) was a nurse in WW2. But that's all for my family. Fortunate.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    My family has a close friend who was a Havildar in the 1/11 Gurkha rifles that retook
    Kukerthang and Khalubar Top for India in the Kargil war in 1999.

An uncle also served his commission with another Gurkha battalion that served with IPKF in Sri Lanka in 1987.

The Gurkhas are phenomenal soldiers : Jai Maha Kali Ayo Gorkhali !

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    My parents had to evacuated from a makeshift airstrip in their village in Kashmir in 1948 when India and Pakistan went to war over Kashmir. With three small girls and a fourth one that she was carrying, my 23 year old mother and 30 year old father left all their belongings and hearth to come as refugees to a strange land that was the capital of the newly independent India.

Strange, not because they werent Indians themselves but they had never lived in a city for centuries and were completely overwhelmed.

Thirty seven years later, the riots following Mrs Indira Gandhi's assasination, me 24 years old and my wife with our two young sons were not sure if we would survive the terrible anti sikh riots that overtook Delhi and about 8000 Sikhs were brutally killed, mostly burnt alive by mobs most of whom were their neighbours of decades !!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    My parents had to evacuated from a makeshift airstrip in their village in Kashmir in 1948 when India and Pakistan went to war over Kashmir. With three small girls and a fourth one that she was carrying, my 23 year old mother and 30 year old father left all their belongings and hearth to come as refugees to a strange land that was the capital of the newly independent India.

Strange, not because they werent Indians themselves but they had never lived in a city for centuries and were completely overwhelmed.

Thirty seven years later, the riots following Mrs Indira Gandhi's assasination, me 24 years old and my wife with our two young sons were not sure if we would survive the terrible anti sikh riots that overtook Delhi and about 8000 Sikhs were brutally killed, mostly burnt alive by mobs most of whom were their neighbours of decades !!
    I remember coming home from school in Katpadi, Tamil Nadu in 1984 on the day Indira Gandhi got assasinated. The whole town was so quiet -- all the bus and rickshaw drivers were saying "Our mother is dead" -- I couldn't understand why - I was 3 at the time; but when I got home I do remember the television pictures of tanks and soldiers on the streets in Delhi and the terrible riots which were about to ensue. I hope things like 1984, Ayodhya and Godhra never happen again in India.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Not as far as I know. I know my Gradmother on my Father's side was born the year before WWI, so I'm sure she would have been affected in some way in either of the major wars.

My Grandfather on my mother's side was a peace keeper druing the Korean War.

Both my Father (Nov 25) and my uncle (Nov 23) were close to being drafted for the Vietnam War, I think the dates were Nov 24 & Nov 26, but I'm not 100% sure on that story.

That is about all I am aware of when it comes to my family's involvement in war.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    My Grandfather died at Auschwitz.

He broke his neck falling out of the machine gun nest!

An old joke & I'm sorry if anyone was offended!
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    Not much for me..Mum's mum did something involving a typewriter (my memory is hopeless) in ww2 and dad's dad did compulsory service.

The Members Stand
    - the home of all cricket management games

MSN Messenger address: edblax @ gmail . com

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    My Grandad was in the Royal Marines in WW2, he was on board HMS Repulse when it was sunk off Singapore, he managed to survive and was taken to singapore, where luckily another warship needed Royal Marines and he got on that before Singapore was taken by the Japanese.

One of his brothers was a bomber pilot, his plane got shot down in North Africa.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    My (step)grandfather (maternal) was at Auschwitz. He's a Polish Jew, and he's still alive.

My great-grandfather (maternal) was a prolific spy for Britain, he won plenty of medals from the queen and the like. I'd actually like to know more..
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    My Grandfather died at Auschwitz.

He broke his neck falling out of the machine gun nest!

An old joke & I'm sorry if anyone was offended!
    That's terrible - why am I laughing?

My great-uncle and great-great uncle both died in WW2

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    One grandfather was gassed in the trenches during WW1, the other one ended up with a steel plate in his skull.

Father served 22 years in the army, saw active service at the end of WW2 and in the middle-east.

Funnily enough Spetsnatz we nearly saw some of your country at the end of the 1950's - the British Army offered my father a commission to take my mum and me 'on holiday' to the Soviet Union to take some, er, 'holiday snaps'. He refused and was told that he would get crap postings and stay an RSM until the end of his army career.

Amazing story and one I have no reason to doubt him. He was dying when he told me. I never suspected, so I suppose he might have made a really good spy, although I doubt it. The "Yeeeeeeesssssssss, come on you Rams" every time Derby won a game might have given the game away.

So you see, the duck and I could have ended up talking Russian.

<quack>Da, tovarisch
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    My Great Great Grandfather (I think) was decapitated in WWI...

Thats all i know really, i havent really made an effort to hear the whole story... i probably should...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Nothing immediate, just the usual distant relative stuff. My great-uncle on my Father's side was in WW2, and my great-great-great-uncle on my Mother's side (I think that's right ) was an Anzac who went to Gallipoli and survived. He was still alive when I was young, although I never met him as far as I remember. I now have his medals.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Just found this out.

My two great uncle's were in the RAAF. Based in Britain during WWII, they flew many missions over Deutschland. One won the DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross) and the other... either won the DFC as well, or the DFS, Distinguished Flying Service medal.. Pretty sure it was the DFC, though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information