Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ANZACs - Lest We Forget

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

The ANZACs - Lest We Forget

Just wanted to make mention of the ANZACs given that tomorrow is our day of rememberance. I'd never taken a more than a passing interest in Anzac Day and what it stood for up until a couple of years ago, then I went to an Anzac Day service at Edinburgh Castle. I'm not sure whether being away from home deepened nationalistic feelings, but it was a wonderful feeling standing in a centuries old church with entrance limited to Australians, New Zealanders and Brits, and I now really appreciate the effort put in by our grandfather/great grandfathers etc in very difficult times.

I have a few mates who made the trip from wherever they were in the UK at the time to Anzac Cove for the ceremony on the 25th and they all said it was the best thing they've ever done. Unfortunately I've never made it myself, but hope to in the future...and also hope I'm not standing near some of the people who go there and treat it like a massive party.

There's a lot of stuff on TV here in Oz in the days preceeding Anzac Day about the ANZACS, but this is the first time I've really taken any notice...it was a bloody brave effort on their behalf and some amazing stuff has come out about individual efforts of bravery etc. Some of the guys there were only as old as some of the younger members on this forum (i.e 14/15), unbelievable.

I'm not sure whether this thread actually has a 'contributory' aspect!? Just post what you want about the ANZACS I guess
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    I love the little thing how, "They will not grow old, We left behind will age" etc., think it's quite true and a good tribute.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Word up Coco... A whole nation's spirit has been forged on their legend.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    indeed war was much more 'glorified' back than, especially with the governments able to control the media so much more - people had no idea what war was actually like.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

I think we should remember the people the ANZACS were fighting as well.. the war was terrible for everyone

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Don't you just swell up with pride when you see the footage of diggers carrying their wounded mates up hills, across rivers, etc? They're all heroes..

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Whenever the Last Post is played I get a lump in my throat. As I get older the sense that these boys (for that's what they were, I'd guess upwards of 95% of the combatants were younger than me) were indeed the finest flowering of a nation's youth.

It's also partly the reason that I get sentimental about the commonwealth. In the dark days of 1940-41 it was our colonies & former colonies that stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us (Austalia, Canada, India, New Zealand, Southern Africa & The West Indian islands) against the Axis forces.

When SR Waugh took the touring Ashes squad to Gallipoli I knew that here was a fella who knew what it meant to be an ANZAC. It was also the time in my mind that he moved from being a great player to a great man. I actually think it's a bit of a pity Autralians no longer receive knighthoods, because Sir Stephen would really suit him!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    I agree with everyone's comments here. Lest We Forget...
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    I think we should remember the people the ANZACS were fighting as well.. the war was terrible for everyone
    Yeah, there seemed to be a great deal of respect amongst enemies on the battlefield back then with truces made over a number of hours to bury the dead etc.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I've never been a fan of the holiday and the parade and so on, as I find it pointlessly glorifies something which doesn't really have much glory in it. It's certainly important however that we remember that the true cost of war is the lives of young people, and medals and tickertape parades and so on don't change the fact that most of them didn't come back alive.

Lest we forget.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Just thought I should mention that the cookies are bloody fantastic too.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Whenever the Last Post is played I get a lump in my throat. As I get older the sense that these boys (for that's what they were, I'd guess upwards of 95% of the combatants were younger than me) were indeed the finest flowering of a nation's youth.

It's also partly the reason that I get sentimental about the commonwealth. In the dark days of 1940-41 it was our colonies & former colonies that stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us (Austalia, Canada, India, New Zealand, Southern Africa & The West Indian islands) against the Axis forces.

When SR Waugh took the touring Ashes squad to Gallipoli I knew that here was a fella who knew what it meant to be an ANZAC. It was also the time in my mind that he moved from being a great player to a great man. I actually think it's a bit of a pity Autralians no longer receive knighthoods, because Sir Stephen would really suit him!
    Isn't the Last Post haunting!? At the castle they played the last post followed by a bagpipe piece (I'm not sure what it was called) trailing off into the distance. It was quite a moment.

It's amazing to note that young people actually lied about their age to become involved in the war effort, hence 14/15 year olds etc finding themselves on the front line. It may have been ignorance re: the implication of what 'being at war' meant and involved but it's still an unbelievable effort. Even if it was ignorance in some shape or form, it's an amazing display of courage to front up as a volunteer and be sent 1000's of miles away, and turn up in hell...I couldn't even imagine doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    Just thought I should mention that the cookies are bloody fantastic too.
    hahaha Aren't they good!

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    hahaha Aren't they good!
    They have a fitting relationship. If ANZAC cookies tasted like dog-biscuits it would have been a real slap in the face to such a heroic troupe.

When I was at the War Memorial I read that the biscuits they had were so hard they had to be grated into powder so they could eat them. It doesn't surprise me that they're not made like that now! I suppose as far as cookies go, they must have been fairly nutritious back then, if they were fed to soldiers.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Lest We Forget.

I think it's great that we have a time to remember our diggers, and the contribution of the Kiwis and the Aussies as a joint force.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information