Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 927

Thread: What religion are you?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    692
    Dont you agree that its stupid that it says you should kill people if they follow another religion?

  2. #152
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,364
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    by the way--- very much a hypothetical question here--- if someone's a christian and is somewhat of a b*stard, and someone else isnt christian but a really good guy, and assuming christianity is 'right' and theres a heaven, does the b*stard get into heaven over the non-christian?
    I think you only get into heaven if you give yourself to God. If you have given yourself to God and commit some awful crime you are forgiven by God for some reason. But someone who doesn't give themself to God and is a wonderful person doesn't go to Heaven.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  3. #153
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    I think you only get into heaven if you give yourself to God. If you have given yourself to God and commit some awful crime you are forgiven by God for some reason. But someone who doesn't give themself to God and is a wonderful person doesn't go to Heaven.
    wow that sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  4. #154
    International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Same place as the Ashes
    Posts
    5,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    I think you only get into heaven if you give yourself to God. If you have given yourself to God and commit some awful crime you are forgiven by God for some reason. But someone who doesn't give themself to God and is a wonderful person doesn't go to Heaven.
    If God is real, why can't he show us what heaven is like. Would be interesting.


  5. #155
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Well, what about the sentiments of the non-believers? Being told their opinion or belief is wrong...isn't that not being mindful of people's sentiments?
    Its different to be told you are wrong and totally different to name the things (holy books), the personalities (real or imaginary), the relics of the religions, the places(considered holy by those people and then say derogatory things about them.

    You may know something very derogtory about my father or my mother but it is wrong of you to say it on my face even if it happens to be true and it doesnt serve any purpose. It is not the same thing as telling me that you think what I believe in is wrong.

  6. #156
    Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    i believe in science myself. mankind came from evolution, which came from the big bang. eventually, well die out just like every other species has/will. whether thats from the earth crashing into the sun or nuclear war or whatever, were gone sooner or later.

    as for the meaning of life, in my life i wanna try to have fun, but help people. i dont need a supernatural power or a book to tell me that.
    Personally, Andy, I believe that science and religion are very much related. Only weirdos think that the bible is completely historical fact.

    I believe that science is evidence of "God's" hand in our creation. Like you, I don't believe in letting scriptures dominate the way I will live my life, but I appreciate that some people find more meaning in them than I ever will. I think that fundamentally, Christians just want to be good people. That's their main angle, and it's the same as any other religion. Unfortunately, Catholicism as a whole carries too much baggage for me to associate myself with.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

  7. #157
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    Personally, Andy, I believe that science and religion are very much related. Only weirdos think that the bible is completely historical fact.

    I believe that science is evidence of "God's" hand in our creation. Like you, I don't believe in letting scriptures dominate the way I will live my life, but I appreciate that some people find more meaning in them than I ever will. I think that fundamentally, Christians just want to be good people. That's their main angle, and it's the same as any other religion. Unfortunately, Catholicism as a whole carries too much baggage for me to associate myself with.
    yeah theres no harm in trying to be good people, of course, and its in this aspect where religions are good. once it travels beyond the whole 'be nice, dont kill, steal, lie, etc.' then, to me, its pointless, and too restrictive.

  8. #158
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,364
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    wow that sucks
    It only sucks if you believe there is a heaven, which pretty much means you can do whatever you like as long as you go to church every Sunday (even if its in prison) you'll be right.

    If you don't believe in heaven, then you've got nothing to worry about.

  9. #159
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,364
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Its different to be told you are wrong and totally different to name the things (holy books), the personalities (real or imaginary), the relics of the religions, the places(considered holy by those people and then say derogatory things about them.

    You may know something very derogtory about my father or my mother but it is wrong of you to say it on my face even if it happens to be true and it doesnt serve any purpose. It is not the same thing as telling me that you think what I believe in is wrong.
    Yes, but everyone has different tollerence levels. What may seem offensive to you, may not seem offensive to me. So you saying that my belief is wrong is offensive to me. I apologise if I was offensive to you, but I believe psxpro did nothing wrong in asking a valid question about something in the bible.

  10. #160
    Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    yeah theres no harm in trying to be good people, of course, and its in this aspect where religions are good. once it travels beyond the whole 'be nice, dont kill, steal, lie, etc.' then, to me, its pointless, and too restrictive.
    You're definitely right there. Religion is in 99% of cases a reflection of where one was born anyway.

    I try to stay out of these conversations because I have very complicated spiritual beliefs that work for me - I don't like to enforce myself on other people and I'm not sure I could explain it if I tried. But I think it's a very interesting subject to reflect on in my own head.

  11. #161
    International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Same place as the Ashes
    Posts
    5,615
    I'm thinking i've gotta post a ****-load of hot women in Hottest Women to slow this down.

  12. #162
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    It only sucks if you believe there is a heaven, which pretty much means you can do whatever you like as long as you go to church every Sunday (even if its in prison) you'll be right.

    If you don't believe in heaven, then you've got nothing to worry about.
    oh yeah it doesnt effect me. im just saying, that doesnt seem very right or fair to me.

  13. #163
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by psxpro
    Dont you agree that its stupid that it says you should kill people if they follow another religion?
    It is wrong for anyone to say that you should kill. One doesnt have to belong to any religion to realise that. Nor do people need to be told that it is wrong. The fact that the christians on this forum started defending and saying no the bible does not say that, shows that at least they dont believ in this , whether the bible says so or not. Then what are you trying to prove by saying that....
    How can you seriously follow a thing like the bible when it says to kill anyone that follows another religion

    Clearly, though they follow the bible, they dont follow this bit (if at all it is in the Bible). Maybe there are other things in the Bible which appeal to them and they follow the Bible for that reason.

    Why should you pick up one thing from the Bible (if it exists) and wave it around and question their belief.

    I do not think it is possible to have a religion a thousand or more years old (this would cover all major world religions) and not be able to find some things which appear so very wrong today. We dont go about throwing those things at each other.

    In fact, we do and most of the wars of the world have been because of this tendency.

    Its easy to pick up what appears wrong in another persons faith and pick up whats right in ones own. But if you can see what is wrong and what is right, use it and your judgement to follow the path you believe it guides you to. You dont need to do more than that.

    If you are a Muslim and believe there are some beautiful things in Islam , as surely there are, go ahead and tell all of us about them. But dont speak ill of the symbols of other religions which others hold as holy and talk ill of them. It serves no purpose whatsoever. You are not making a revelation !!

  14. #164
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    You're definitely right there. Religion is in 99% of cases a reflection of where one was born anyway.

    I try to stay out of these conversations because I have very complicated spiritual beliefs that work for me - I don't like to enforce myself on other people and I'm not sure I could explain it if I tried. But I think it's a very interesting subject to reflect on in my own head.
    yeah youre right, especially about the first part--- most devout christians would be devout buddhists or jews or whatever if they were born in a community that practiced that religion.

  15. #165
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    I'm interested to hear what everyone's views on abortion and the death penalty are.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. After Life?
    By FRAZ in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 264
    Last Post: 15-10-2006, 12:22 AM
  2. Australia Votes - Election 2004 Thread
    By masterblaster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 355
    Last Post: 14-10-2004, 09:32 AM
  3. What Religion are You?
    By masterblaster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 15-05-2004, 06:44 PM
  4. Religion???
    By age_master in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2002, 12:17 PM
  5. Is cricket Religion in India??
    By lomes in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-08-2002, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •