Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check out my band - The Ramjets - tell me what you think

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

Check out my band - The Ramjets - tell me what you think

You can have a listen to some of our stuff at www.mp3.com.au/theramjets

Have a listen and tell me what you think, I'm very interested on people's views.

Feel free to keep a copy for yourself or to pass it on.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    cool name. (not yet listened to the songs). you just gotta hope people dont associate you with jet... by the way, which song is the best?

edit: also, what do you do in the band?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    cool name. (not yet listened to the songs). you just gotta hope people dont associate you with jet... by the way, which song is the best?
    IMO the best song is 'Get It On'.

'Baby Baby Baby' sounds awesome live, but doesn't have the same feel recorded.

What would be good is if people could have a listen and say what band they reckon we sound like. I've put The Rolling Stones, but have absolutely no idea, it's hard to define your own band's sound.

Btw, we've had people associate us more with Roger Ramjet than we have with Jet. However, there are much worse bands to be associated with.

Tim
    Yeah i'd have to say I like what your coming out with. You've just got to keep trying different things..there's a lot of bands playing the same type of music & the good ones will come up with some original new styles etc.

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    My crappy computer wouldn't allow me to listen to your songs.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhmaster
    My crappy computer wouldn't allow me to listen to your songs.
    MSN - pennyless_student@hotmail.com - I can send 'em to you, that might work.

Tim
    I think your probably Indie. It's a huge genre at the moment but I think in the next year it's going to take a backseat to Emo or Alternative Punk.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I think your probably Indie. It's a huge genre at the moment but I think in the next year it's going to take a backseat to Emo or Alternative Punk.
    Hmmm....Indie is a naughty word around our scene....lol

Rock 'n' Roll is the only way to go.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Good stuff. The first track reminds me of Les Savy Fav.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    is it honest opinions that you require here Mr Wright.....
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    is it honest opinions that you require here Mr Wright.....
    Yeah mate, as honest as you like. Constructive feedback is the best feedback. If you don't like it, tell me why - I'm interested.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Yeah mate, as honest as you like. Constructive feedback is the best feedback. If you don't like it, tell me why - I'm interested.
    Right then....first off I take it this is a demo?

Is your intention to take this to somebody in management or to record companies???

If you are wanting a record company to express an interst, I think you need to splash out more dosh on higher quality recordings. Record companies these days dont want to invest in bands without the almost finished product...they are no longer willing to invest in bands on a 'what might be' feel. Companies want to know how you WILL sound..so I reckon you need to find someone who has experience in producing, who knows what a label is after.

An example is the hand clapping on the last track...in the first section, they are out of time quite noticably..it suggests one of two things a) you didnt have time to do it properly b) you couldnt be arsed to do it properly.

If it was a), then you would have been better off not putting them on
    if it was b) ditto

To be honest, its things like this that make demos sound un-professional...and I know you arent professional, but labels dont care about that, they want to hear that you know when something sounds good and when something doesnt.

Songwise.....!!!!

Well I see you are influenced by Oasis,The beatles,The Stooges and CCR...and sound like the Stones.

4 of those 5 bands placed alot on the strength of the tunes..ie a melody and a great hook...the stooges werent so tuneful but got away with it through pure energy and emotion as well as being quite ground breaking as well.

I am afraid I dont hear that much melody or the killer hook (someone mentioned Jet before...a band in my opinion of fairly limited talent, but made a name thanks to a great hook on 'Girl')....

You need to ask yourselves 'what are we trying to do'....just from those three songs you sound a bit Celebate Rifles, which is ok if you want that sound, but it isnt gonna get you rich. Are you wanting to sound different to what else is going around at the moment????

You sound like you are wanting to be very rock n roll, which is a plus point for me. But Rock n Roll in what way....going off this demo,you could go the 'Cult/ACDC' way, which was almost a parody of rock music, but done so over the top that it really 'rocks' (have a listen to Electric by the Cult,monster riffs,and a really powerful sound)...or a Stones way (68 to 71 era)...there is a real feel to those albums of that era, thanks mainly to Keith richards, he hits a groove that runs throughout the whole band....again a lot of the Stones stuff has a hook that pulls you in, but some of the playing on your demo is a bit sloppy so you lose any feel of a groove striaght away...'tight but loose' is the way to go for me (of course this is just opinion)....loads of options, but at the moment it sounds like you dont really know what kind of band you are???? Record labels will want to know where you want to go, if you dont know yourselves (you might do in your head, but it needs to translate into the music), they wont look at you.(btw..check out Swervedrivers Raise, Mezcal head, and Ejector Seat Reservation albums to listen to how a band can be quite clearly infulenced by the Stooges and yet twist an influnce into something completely different)

You NEED to sort some of the lyrics out....one song had something like 'theres a new sound around' or something like that....are you providing that new sound, are you following that new sound, are you just an observer to the new sound....I think you are an observer, because to be blunt, there is no new sound in your demo.

As I say,its just an opinion, formed over years of hearing demos from bands, following my mates bands, talking to people 'in the know' etc.

I know a guy in London, who used to be in the aforementioned Swervedriver, who knows loads of people (he is well in there with Powderfinger(whose management I beleive is in Spring Hill, Brisbane), he worked on the demos for the Vines first album, he has worked with primal scream, ash etc)..if you want, I could send him the link, and see what he says, he could give you some real good tips
    Last edited by Swervy; 18-04-2005 at 04:13 AM.

Just downloading it - my review won't be far away.

Cheers,
    Molly Meldrum.

Nice catchy rhythm and tune - vocals and lyrics are a bit lacking though.

There's a little ability there.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Uh, doesn't let me listen.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information