Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review The Album

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!

Review The Album

As you all know, music has always been a passion of mine and the success of the favourite song of the week thread has really brought out the music community in CW. This thread here is all about your own personal review of any CD Album you own.

Just include the picture of the album cover, track listing and in your words your own review and your opinions on the quality of the album. We can also discuss which albums are worth buying and which should be avoided.

But we all have different opinions, so I guess all this is subjective to taste. Frankly I'm looking forward to the discussion.

I'll start up with my best CD in my collection (in my opinion).

Album: Ladies and Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael

Track Listing:

Disc 1: For The Heart

1. Jesus To A Child
    2. Father Figure
    3. Careless Whisper
    4. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (with Elton John)
    5. You Have Been Loved
    6. Kissing A Fool
    7. I Can't Make You Love Me
    8. Heal The Pain
    9. A Moment With You
    10.Desafinado (with Astrud Gilberto)
    11.Cowboys and Angels
    12.Praying For Time
    13.One More Try
    14.A Different Corner

Disc 2: For The Feet

1. Outside
    2. As
    3. Fastlove
    4. Too Funky
    5. Freedom '90
    6. Star People '97
    7. Killer/Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
    8. I Want Your Sex (Part II)
    9. The Strangest Thing '97
    10.Fantasy
    11.Spinning The Wheel
    12.Waiting For That Day
    13.I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (with Aretha Franklin)
    14.Faith
    15.Somebody To Love (with Queen)

My Review:

George Michael probably posesses one of the best vocal abilities in International Music. A brilliant songwriter, he has the ability to capture emotions of love, pain, death, romance and sexuality through his lyrics and his music.

At his peak, he was one of the biggest acts to come out of the United Kingdom and this fantastic 20+ year career at the top has been showcased by this fine album right here which is the definitive compilation for fans and non fans alike.

The CD Album is packaged convieniently into two discs. One is appropriately labelled for the heart and the other one is labelled for the feet. The for the heart disc features some moving ballads which showcases Michaels' brilliant vocal abilities and his brilliant songwriting ability.

Disc 1 is the perfect disc to have on when you need a romantic night in with your partner. With a smooth mix of Cafe style lounge Jazz to carefully thought out classics, the disc leaves no corner unturned and truly shows that it is for the heart.

Careless Whisper is recognised as one of the greatest songs ever composed, Jesus To A Child deals with the loss of a loved one as does You Have Been Loved which fights with a single mother's loss of her partner and her son. However, for Jazz enthusiasts like myself, Kissing A Fool is a brilliant example of smooth, jazz and Cowboys and Angels has one of the best saxophone solo's I've ever heard which plays as a finisher for a great song.

From all the heart of disc 1 to the pure mix of jazz, funk, dance and pure pop to disc 2. Disc 2 has the numbers that made this man famous. From the infectious 'Faith' that made him a mega star to the very addictive Fastlove, another side of George Michael comes out, a side which can be a little provocative, a little offensive, but still Disc 2 is musically very sound.

The highlights for disc 2 would be his biggest hit arguably which is Faith, the dance track that reached great heights on the charts back in 1996 in Fastlove, and the sinister Jazz/Funk track 'Spinning The Wheel' which deals with some rather heavy issues.

Overall Verdict: 4.5/5

This is one of the best ever 'Best of' Compilations out there. It showcases what an amazing career this man has had. Despite the controversy and the personal battles the music, lyrics and creativity of this man seems to eclipse all these things. It's a CD which is very difficult to get tired of. It's a must buy for fans, also non fans could find that after a few listens, they also have an appreciation for the cd and the music.

Although it definitely helps if you like Jazz, Funk and a little bit of Pop music.
    So a final rating of 4.5/5 from me.

Coming Up Next....: Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Netblazer3D Champion!
    Next album from me, this is one of my favourites too.

Album Name: Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory

Track Listing:

1. Hello
    2. Roll With It
    3. Wonderwall
    4. Don't Look Back In Anger
    5. Hey Now
    6. Instrumental Track
    7. Some Might Say
    8. Cast No Shadow
    9. She's Electric
    10.Morning Glory
    11.Instrumental Track
    12.Champagne Supernova

My Review:

One of the best rock bands to come out of the UK, What's The Story Morning Glory is simple musical arrogance mixed with genius at its best. Showing us all what they're made of, Oasis have composed and compiled a list of 10 classic tracks that are all extremely addictive and are all brilliantly written.

Perhaps though it was tragic that this was the very best this band could produce in the eyes of many, but no doubt there was magic in the recording studio when they were producing this. From the brilliant background music and lyrics to Champagne Supernova to the superb overall composition of Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger, What's The Story Morning Glory is an iconic album.

The band also did the lighter numbers exceptionally well. She's Electric and Roll With It are superb songs but the highlights for me are Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, Champagne Supernova and Roll With It.

One of my favourite albums and a must buy for any fan, or any rock music lover.

Overall Rating: 4/5

Really good thread.

Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Track Listing:

1. New Born
    2. Bliss
    3. Space Dementia
    4. Hyper Music
    5. Plug In Baby
    6. Citizen Erased
    7. Micro Cuts
    8. Screenager
    9. Darkshines
    10. Feeling Good
    11. Megalomania

My review:

The album starts with a rather quiet, peaceful piano tune, accompanied by Matt Bellamy almost whispering the first verse, but as his voice rises in the last line "soulless is everyone" and the piano goes quiet, it becomes clear that something dramatic is about to happen. The following riff is the beginning of an album which has so much packed into the 50-odd minute experience, with a lot of that being packed into just one song, the 7 minute masterpiece Citizen Erased.

The band show an amazing range throughout the album, from the piano epic Space Dementia to the amazing guitar riff of Plug In Baby, a brilliant cover of Nina Simone's Feeling Good, and more. Micro Cuts is a song worth mentioning in its own sentence, Bellamy sings so incredibly high that it is difficult to describe with words. And the final song, Megalomania, is an incredible finish to the album, with powerful lyrics relating to the corruption of Churches ("paradise comes at a price that I'm not prepared to pay" and "take off your disguise, I know that underneath...it's me"), with the ironic and powerful use of a church organ. The drums and organ in the last minute provide an appropriate ending to this wonderful album.

Verdict: 4.7/5

My favourite album of all time. The only things that let it down are two slightly weaker songs, Hyper Music (an aggressive and loud song but lacks the brilliance of the rest, they did another version Hyper Chondriac Music as a b-side with the same lyrics but a slower tempo and it is much better) and Screenager (nice song, good when heard on its own, but pales in comparison to the rest). Overall it is an album that everyone who has ever liked a Muse song should own. They will not be disappointed. It isn't necessarily an album that will grab you first time if you aren't paying full attention, but it will undoubtedly grow on you. And fast.

Pinball Champion!
    Wow, I'll do
    The Postal Service - Give Up
    possibly my favourite album of all time, when I have the time to review it
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Netblazer3D Champion!
    All UK artists done so far. Says something doesnt it?

Not sure where The Postal Service are from but I'll say that,

UK Artists >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA Artists

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster

Oh yeah without doubt..

Music is the second greatest export of this country, after comedy..

Saying that, the Postal Service are American, but they are my only "Favourite Band" who aren't from the UK..

Album: Together Alone - Crowded House

Track Listing:
    1 Kare Kare
    2 In My Command
    3 Nails in My Feet
    4 Black & White Boy
    5 Fingers of Love
    6 Pineapple Head
    7 Locked Out
    8 Private Universe
    9 Walking on the Spot
    10 Distant Sun
    11 Catherine Wheels
    12 Skin Feeling
    13 Together Alone

My review:

Two years had been and gone since Woodface when Neil Finn, Paul Hester, Nick Seymour and the newest recruit, former Supertramp tour guitarist Mark Hart, got together on the wild west coast settlements just over the Waitakeres from Auckland.

But things had changed. Out with the old - in the form of producer Mitchell Froom -and in with the new - Youth, a pot-smoking, dance music producer with some different ideas.

While his methods may have been unorthodox, what he and the band achieved with this album was an uneerie ability to convey the feeling of the beach, the bush and the passion that had built up over 7 years of Crowded House.

Starting off with the moody and distant Kare Kare (the site of the band's recording studio), and finishing off with what could, and should, be New Zealand's unofficial national anthem Together Alone, the songs blend together like a classical New Zealand flax pattern.

The music and lyrics range from the soft and gentle, as portrayed in Walking on the Spot to the harder and self-critical Black and White Boy (believed to be written by Neil Finn with Paul Hester in mind), but songs 1 through to 13 seem to ebb and flow like the tides on Kare Kare beach.

Verdict: 4.8/5

Neil Finn's lyrics, as they've always been, are the standout, and this is none more obvious in the gorgeous Distant Sun:

"I don't pretend to know what you want, but I offer love"

The musicianship is possibly the best of all four Crowded House original albums, due to the various instruments and styles dabbled with. The only song that detracts from the album is Paul Hester's second writing credit Skin Feeling, which just doesn't seem to fit in. I listened to this album seven times over while sitting in the back of my parents' car during a trip round New Zealand, and damn, it made me feel good about New Zealand and its countryside.
    A must for any music fan of any nationality.
    Last edited by Smudge; 12-04-2005 at 06:00 AM.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster

Depends on what you're looking at.... mainstream, the UK is probably better, but go a bit more obscure or underground and there's nothing between them. Jazz, soul etc and hip-hop is still centred in the US.
    I'll do a hip-hop album soon - show people there is stuff outside Eminem or 50 Cent in hip-hop...

International Coach
    I'll review 'The Chronic' by Dr. Dre.

Track Listing:
    1. Intro
    2. **** Wit Dre Day (And Everybody's Celebrating...)
    3. Let Me Ride
    4. The Day Tha N****z Took Over
    5. Nuttin' But A 'G' Thang
    6. Deeez Nuuuts
    7. Lil' Ghetto Boy
    8. A N***a Witta Gun
    9. Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat
    10. $20 Sack Pyramid
    11. Lyrical Gangbang
    12. High Powered
    13. The Doctor's Office
    14. Stranded on Death Row
    15. Roach (Outro)
    16. B*tches Ainít ****

My Review:
    The Chronic undoubtedly completely changed West Coast Rap. This was where Dre pioneered what he called his ĎG-Funkí sound. IMO Dre is tighter than his inspiration, George Clinton, just as funky, and with a good feel for a hook, something which landed Gangsta rap on the pop charts. None of the rappers that actually tried to imitate The Chronic were at all successful, partly down to Snoop Dogg, who features on 7 of the albumís tracks, and each of those 7 tracks are better because of it. The album is for a large part about violence, and the Rodney King riots are praised and celebrated. Still, The Chronic is mostly a party album, with some hilarious song introís and skits. If youíre looking for an album with funky beats and tracks you can dance to, this is it, and for anyone who isnít easily offended, it is a must buy.

No matter how controversial, it remains one of the most important rap albums of all time, and one of the greatest IMO.

My rating: 4.8/5
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

The 2001 Dre album's easily the best. The Watcher, Still D-R-E and of cause Pause for ****o
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    What about 'Freak' by GM Sangrah? And the remix of that dance song... and also 'Amazing'? Or weren`t these out yet...?
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    OK... here we go, one of the best albums I've ever bought to start off.

Album: RJD2 - Deadringer

Track Listing:
    1. The Horror
    2. Salud
    3. Smoke and Mirrors
    4. Good Times Roll Pt. 2
    5. Final Frontier
    6. Ghostwriter
    7. Cut Out to FL
    8. F.H.H.
    9. Shot in the Dark
    10. Chicken-Bone Circuit
    11. The Proxy
    12. 2 More Dead
    13. Take the Picture Off
    14. Silver Fox
    15. June
    16. Work
    Hidden Track: Here's What's Left

My Review:

RJD2 is categorised as hip-hop, but in reality has more similarities to someone like DJ Shadow than 2Pac. However, being a part of the Def Jux label, his beats are undoubtedly influenced heavily by the hip-hop scene.

Deadringer begins on a strong note with the jarring 'The Horror'. RJ's use of loud brass samples and a strong beat ensure the album gets your attention immediately. The next main track (Salud being an interlude of sorts) is probably what I would rate as the third best on the album. Smoke and Mirrors is just brilliant, with the haunting break in the middle captivating the listener. It is in this track that RJD2's brilliance comes to the fore. You wouldn't think a track only about 4 and a half minutes long with a 1 minute intro could really have time to climax, but RJ does so.

The album continues with a host of solid but unremarkable tracks, with some excellent MCs from the Def Jux stable guesting on Final Frontier (Blueprint) and FHH (Jakki Da Mota Mouth). The album then takes a more mellow tone, with Chicken Bone Circuit and The Proxy, both reminiscent of DJ Shadow. Again, some more solid but unremarkable tracks follow, with the best yet to come.

What I think is the 2nd best track on the album, and the best 'official' track is June, featuring Copywrite as MC. This track is absolutely brilliant, with RJ's understated production providing the perfect foil for Copywrite's rhymes about his dead father. The way RJ switches the tone of the song during the 3 minute interlude between verses is simply genius. The track ends with a gentle fade away, merely reinforcing the emotional nature of the track.

The solid Work is the official final track of the album, however what I believe is the best track on the album is hidden after Work. Here's What's Left is wonderfully soulful, melancholic and just plain sublime.
    RJ's production is faultless in this track and he manages to convey such emotion through just one sampled line. The track, and the album ends with a gentle fading away, leaving the listener to reflect on one of the greatest hip-hop albums in recent years.

Verdict: 5/5

I suppose the review gives way my thoughts on this album. As an an added little fact, I was fortunate enough to be able to go see a live RJD2 set earlier this year, and his performance on the decks was just as brilliant as I expected him to be. RJD2 is undoubtedly one of the most skilled hip-hop producers around these days, and with Dead Ringer created a classic. Despite some moments where the album seems on cruise control, RJD2 delivers on the signature tracks with absolutely flying colours.

Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    What about 'Freak' by GM Sangrah? And the remix of that dance song... and also 'Amazing'? Or weren`t these out yet...?
    Yeah, both those songs are on his latest album, 'Patience'. I have Patience too, so I might be doing a review on that album later on.

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Best Of George Michael was all his work from 1983 - 1998. Freeek and Amazing are on Patience. Both decent songs. Amazing's a fantastic song, Freeek is different, but unique in its own way.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Have you heard that Remix he did? 'Absolutely Flawless' sounds right.

Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Have you heard that Remix he did? 'Absolutely Flawless' sounds right.
    Yep, Flawless is another track on Patience as well. It's a good album, very different from the George Michael of the 1987-1996 era, but its still a nice album to listen to.

I'll try to have my review up by tomorrow hopefully after I come back from Uni.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information