Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A concern for the standard of posts and particularly new threads !!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

A concern for the standard of posts and particularly new threads !!

There has been a tendency of late, by a few newcomers to CW, to post irrelevant and sometimes provocative and almost always tasteless stuff. At least one of them has had a larger proportion of the threads started by him closed down in single digits (posts written in the thread). Moving him from CC to OT hasnt helped. The poverty of taste has become starker since he has moved here. There are another couple of threads which, in my humble opinion, could be closed and it would only do some good to the forum.

Its not my place to impose standards on anyone here. I am like all of you a happy member of this lovely forum. I , however, am concerned that we have a sharp decline in the high standards of content and etquette which makes CW special.

I urge all of you who agree, to join me in making strong and forceful pleas to the web administration to come down on these handful of bad fish.

Thanks for your time and my apologies to those who think I am being presumptuous in usurping to myself an authority which I do not have. i assure you that is not what I am trying to do.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Agree entirely here SJS. CW prides itself on intellectual discussion and extremely high posting standards which aren't present on too many forums around the Internet. Sadly that's all changing rather quickly with rather tasteless threads and rather tasteless posts.

I for one hope that our standard doesnt slip too far, and Im sure James and the rest of the moderators are watching the situation very closely and im sure they have the same opinions as both of us.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i agree with the standards of some posts and new threads, however i think that if we as members of the forum concentrate ourselves on lifting the standards of our posts, and not encouraging these threads (while being friendly to new people ofcourse) the new members will learn and the tsandard of their threads/posts will also improve, i think the onis is on us to set the exmple.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    i agree with the standards of some posts and new threads, however i think that if we as members of the forum concentrate ourselves on lifting the standards of our posts, and not encouraging these threads (while being friendly to new people ofcourse) the new members will learn and the tsandard of their threads/posts will also improve, i think the onis is on us to set the exmple.
    But you know some people still like to cause trouble in order to be 'rebellious' or 'different'. I see nothing wrong with the standards of the old guard (Neil, Liam, Eddie, Yourself, Sudeep, Anil, Langeveldt, Richard, James, Andre, Myself etc.)

Still I reckon these people will cause trouble anyway, and I think something will have to be done about that.

What members are you talking about? Because all my posts have been quality, both in off topic and Cricket Chat. What is this, war against the newcomers?

Netblazer3D Champion!
    Well Kasper, your name wasn't mentioned so I wouldnt have any hard feelings. Not at this time anyway. Welcome to the CW Forums anyways

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    There has been a tendency of late, by a few newcomers to CW, to post irrelevant and sometimes provocative and almost always tasteless stuff. At least one of them has had a larger proportion of the threads started by him closed down in single digits (posts written in the thread). Moving him from CC to OT hasnt helped. The poverty of taste has become starker since he has moved here. There are another couple of threads which, in my humble opinion, could be closed and it would only do some good to the forum.

Its not my place to impose standards on anyone here. I am like all of you a happy member of this lovely forum. I , however, am concerned that we have a sharp decline in the high standards of content and etquette which makes CW special.

I urge all of you who agree, to join me in making strong and forceful pleas to the web administration to come down on these handful of bad fish.

Thanks for your time and my apologies to those who think I am being presumptuous in usurping to myself an authority which I do not have. i assure you that is not what I am trying to do.
    Sorry

Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    while some recent threads have been bad, members can't be banned for making stupid threads. there's pretty much nothing that can be done, short of restrictions on how many threads one can start, or when a member can start making a thread, depending on how long they've been a member or their posts , but that obviously wouldn't go down very well. i think the only way to handle it is to just hope new members realise what the others are like. also, there have always been strange threads (i've read some of yaju's stuff- quite a few are good, but others are just plain bizarre), and as more members join, you're gonna get more people like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    For making obscene threads they can be banned. For spamming CC with clearly pointless threads too I would expect.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    while some recent threads have been bad, members can't be banned for making stupid threads. there's pretty much nothing that can be done, short of restrictions on how many threads one can start, or when a member can start making a thread, depending on how long they've been a member or their posts , but that obviously wouldn't go down very well. i think the only way to handle it is to just hope new members realise what the others are like. also, there have always been strange threads (i've read some of yaju's stuff- quite a few are good, but others are just plain bizarre), and as more members join, you're gonna get more people like that...
    I think it should be possible to bar some people from being able to start new threads. I think this would take care of one major aspect of the problem.

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    I really have no idea who we're talkin about. Clues anyone?

Dw, I got it

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    I think it should be possible to bar some people from being able to start new threads. I think this would take care of one major aspect of the problem.
    Too complicated. Differing tastes.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    But you know some people still like to cause trouble in order to be 'rebellious' or 'different'. I see nothing wrong with the standards of the old guard (Neil, Liam, Eddie, Yourself, Sudeep, Anil, Langeveldt, Richard, James, Andre, Myself etc.)

Still I reckon these people will cause trouble anyway, and I think something will have to be done about that.
    oh how i wish i was like your perfect self

i think the best thing for u guys would just be to ignore it
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Are you talking about me? Hope not... however it's better if you write down the names...

Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    i think the best thing for u guys would just be to ignore it
    Yeah your right about that Ian, just ignore it and it only adds fuel to the fire if we keep on replying.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information