Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Callin out SJS!

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar

Callin out SJS!

Sjs my man.. i just realized you had a labrador retriever aswell :O.. well i have one too a puppy its about 3 months old now..

I was just wondering if you could give me training tips.. things i should know about them etc etc.. as you have had yours for a while im thinking..? how old is your lab? and what tricks have you taught it?

Anyone else that could be of help that be hella good..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_of_darkness
    Sjs my man.. i just realized you had a labrador retriever aswell :O.. well i have one too a puppy its about 3 months old now..

I was just wondering if you could give me training tips.. things i should know about them etc etc.. as you have had yours for a while im thinking..? how old is your lab? and what tricks have you taught it?

Anyone else that could be of help that be hella good..
    Hi Lord,

I have two labs. They are two years old , this week

I had a lab before this who was seven years old when he died in an accident. So I have had a lab for the last 11 years with two years gap.

Labs are one of the most intelligent dogs on the planet. Just talk to them as if they know what you are saying and you will be surprised to find very soon that they do !!

You can make them do anything you want. But I dont use my dogs as "show dogs". My first lab was one of the handsomest dogs you ever saw and everyone kept talling me to enter him in dog shows but for me it would have been like putting my children on display.

So instead of teaching them tricks which only make the owner feel good in front of others, I prefer treating them like my children and they follow everything I say.

We speak three different languages at home. Punjabi between me and my wife and my mother when she is visiting. English with my kids and friends and hindi with the help.

They follow all three languages !!

Without teaching them tricks, the type of tricks that people do like getting them to roll on the ground etc, I still find my friends absolutely amazed at how I can talk to them and they follow.

I send them to call my wife or my cook and they go and bring them either by tugging at their hands or barking if they dont respond. This is just one thing. But believe me, I never taught them this. They just understand what I say.

Try it and they will amaze you.

I can send you other tips by e mail if you want.

Wow sounds awesome.. i know they are very smart dogs and handsome no doubt i treat mine like my 2nd little brother.. sorry i shouldnt have said tricks.. as you mentioned they arent meant to be "show dogs" what i meant really was more along the commands line.. ie teaching them to come, stay - instead of pouncing on my friends and visitors..
    Did you train them at a very young age? what was your method of making them stay, fetch ?

You can mail me sure
    reuben @ globe dot net dot nz

Here are some pics of mighty Caesar..
    one was taken today and one was taken 3 months ago when we juss got him..

What are your guys names?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_of_darkness
    Here are some pics of mighty Caesar..
    one was taken today and one was taken 3 months ago when we juss got him..

What are your guys names?
    Wow caeser looks great ! Labs look wonderful all the time but when they are pups they are just sooo adorable.

I have a black male called Axel (actually Axel junior in the memory of my earlier dog who was named Axel by my son after Axel Rose) and the golden female is called Chicki (after the only girl I fell in love with) They are both from the same litter.

I brought them home when they were 5 weeks old.

Here are pictures of them when they were Caeser's age and on their birthday on 22nd of this month.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    You can wait another month or so. Get them house trained forst.

Getting them to fetch things is not difficult but a bit tricky.

Take a stick or a plastic pipe or a piece of garden hose and throw it away and shout fetch. Remeber to always use the same words for the same action. If you start saying sh** for fetch thats what they will think it means

Dont confuse them at a young age with your vocabulary. Later they will understand more than one word for the same action but not yet.

When you throw the stick, they will start running after it any way. Best is to go into a garden, and if you see him (sorry I keep using plural) pick up a stick, take it from him and throw saying fetch. Since you took it from him in the first place, chances are he will run after it anyway and pick it up.

Now comes the tricky part. He will, in all probability think that taking the stick and keeping is the game so he will not give it to you and run away with the stick and expect you to chase him. He will love that. But if you want to teach him to fetch, you dont run after him.

Be patient, keep talking him asking him in single one or two word commands to give it to you. After some time he will give or he will drop it some where nearby. The moment he gives it to you or drops it very close to you, give him a biscuit or something as a reward and always pat him and make him realise that he has done something that has made him happy.

Give him the biscuit, pat his head and say good boy and when he has eaten his reward through the stick again and tell him to "fetch".

Do not start any traing without a pocket full of rewards.

Use a simple command, preferably a stern NO if he does something you just dont want him to do. NO is one of the first things you want to teach him. Good boy, come here, NO, Very bad etc are the words you use early. Important thing is to get your tone right. If you say Very Bad or Bad boy with sugar in your tone he will think he has done something you are mighty pleased with. Your happiness is what he wants. He will do everything to make you happy but he needs to know very clearly, initially whether you are happy or not.

Later on, you wont have to say it, he will read your moods better than your girl friend I promise you.

Have fun. You have no idea what you have done. You have bought yourself happiness that nothing else could have provided, I assure you.

SJS, I have heard that if people get too close to their pets, they slowly but surely start to resemble them. Is it true?

SJS matey.. thats a lot of helpful goodness right there.. thanks heaps..

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyCrazy
    SJS, I have heard that if people get too close to their pets, they slowly but surely start to resemble them. Is it true?
    lol thanks for another truly meaningful comment reallycrazy, when can we expect your next new thread, after some of the previous like the lets get banned one, i am thrilled to know what might be in the production line.....

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    lol thanks for another truly meaningful comment reallycrazy, when can we expect your next new thread, after some of the previous like the lets get banned one, i am thrilled to know what might be in the production line.....
    There's no need to be a tit.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    There's no need to be a tit.
    fist in the air in the land of hippocracy

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    SJS - 'Axel' has one of the shiniest coats I've ever seen. Both of your dogs look great. As does your "dawg", Reuben..

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    fist in the air in the land of hippocracy
    What's that? A land ruled by hippos? Or Hippocrates?

Hypocrisy. Back me up, fellow grammar nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    What's that? A land ruled by hippos? Or Hippocrates?

Hypocrisy. Back me up, fellow grammar nazis.
    better not get started on nazis, very naughty people

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Hippocracy!!!

I've heard of democracy, theocracy, etc., but hippocracy? Is that the sort of political system they have in large, inhabited African lakes/rivers?
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information