Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning to drive

Pinball Champion!

Learning to drive

How tough was it? I've had my first drive on proper roads today, my maneuvering and most stuff is going rather sweetly.. But my clutch control on hills is rubbish, I nearly rolled back into the guy behind me today .. Any major pointers?

Havent had any lessons with an actual instructor yet, this is all parents helping.. Whats it like?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    its grand i have had about 12 lessons, the hardest thing you will have to do is roundabouts and reverse parking i reckon, once you get the clutch control sorted then its plain sailing really, as long as you know what to do in certain situations like lane disipline etc... Im a good driver now remember mirror, signal, manuvere hehe

Pinball Champion!
    We have a roundabout in Taunton which is apparently one of the worst in Europe.. It has four dual carridgeways feeding into it, all of which are dead straight, so cars join it at speed, and the roundabout is wide and fast and always busy..

Enough to make me do my test elsewhere! Still all sounds good at the mo

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    At least your not learning to drive in calcutta or bombay!!! I've seen a bit of that on the tv and it's picadilly circus on heat!!
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

International Vice-Captain SupaFreak2005's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    But my clutch control on hills is rubbish, I nearly rolled back into the guy behind me today .. Any major pointers?

Yep the clutch is a bit tricky.... i know a few ppl who failed cause they couldn't control clutch and well the car stalled.... but once your relax for the test it'll be fine... everthing will come in, in time so dont worry you should be ready by then.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I await Freak's entry into this thread. He passed his driving exam with his door open during the 3-point-turn, then crashed into another car a month or so after getting his driving permit. His parents then gave him a car.

Charmed life that.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    erm he already entered the thread?!?

albeit probably about 6 seconds before you
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Jinx.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    I have always been a bit of a roadaphobe..and I still cant drive age 32..did one of those intensive courses last year..and I did pick it up ok, but turning right at a junction on a hill is what kept getting me.#

during my test, I was hoping one of those wouldnt happen (wishful thinking living in a town in the middle of the peninnes)...but it did happen..I did panic and rolled the car back and almost hit the shmuk behind me (what was he doing there..I dont know, coz I forgot to look in my mirror!!!).

Anyway the examiner had to shove on her pedals (which means a fail)..but I got away with it coz of the airbag light being on, and so I wasnt allowed to continue..so my instructor has had to pay for another test.

I am shytting myslf though when it comes round to doing it all again
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

U19 12th Man
    How tough was it? I've had my first drive on proper roads today, my maneuvering and most stuff is going rather sweetly.. But my clutch control on hills is rubbish, I nearly rolled back into the guy behind me today .. Any major pointers?

Havent had any lessons with an actual instructor yet, this is all parents helping.. Whats it like?
    I struggled with the incline start too, then I tried using more acceleration and now I don't have any problems with it.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    On one of my tests I had to reverse park up a hill.

Halfway through the reverse park, the owner of the car I reversing behind got in and drove off.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    i pulled a skid on my test whilst doing the emergency stop, apparently it was ok because it was ****ing it down

International Coach
    I await learning to drive... should be fun. I do know someone that managed to drive into parked cars twice during lessons, I hope I won't be that bad.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    I await learning to drive... should be fun. I do know someone that managed to drive into parked cars twice during lessons, I hope I won't be that bad.
    Fun?? One weird thing about me is how I am far more confident with landing a plane in a crosswind than I am pulling into a supermarket car park on a busy day... I hate driving, I hate having to do it, but at least I seem to be fairly good at it.. If only to take me to the airfield so I can get into a proper machine

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Fun?? One weird thing about me is how I am far more confident with landing a plane in a crosswind than I am pulling into a supermarket car park on a busy day... I hate driving, I hate having to do it, but at least I seem to be fairly good at it.. If only to take me to the airfield so I can get into a proper machine
    i was like that when i began as well, once you get used to it you will gradually change from hating it to liking it as ur skill at the wheel increases

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information